Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Mooney axed as Reds coach

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Which would be even more reason to change the coaching approach if you feel there are good individuals but bad team results?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Ioane and Genia and i liked the new 15 Mc Linden he showed some character for his first rugby season... and Lucas he played some nice games... I couldn't pick a Reds forward not even Baird as standouts...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    if Barnes and McMenimen were 'very ordinary' then the rest of the reds were craptastic, Ioane been the obvious exemption.

Well, McMenimen played very few games, as usual (hardly value for money for the Reds). Barnes played a blinder against Auckland and had some other reasonable performances, but overall, he didn't set the world on fire. Too often, he had that pained expression on his face when the reds were under pressure.

Overall Burgs, your point may well be right.

Muddy I agree about McLinden - I was pretty impressed. Two or three ordinary games, but otherwise he did a lot of good things, particularly in support play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tic View Post
    Well, McMenimen played very few games, as usual (hardly value for money for the Reds). Barnes played a blinder against Auckland and had some other reasonable performances, but overall, he didn't set the world on fire. Too often, he had that pained expression on his face when the reds were under pressure.

Overall Burgs, your point may well be right.

Muddy I agree about McLinden - I was pretty impressed. Two or three ordinary games, but otherwise he did a lot of good things, particularly in support play.
    theres no arguing that mcmenimen is a injury liability, but in the games he did play, he was always a standout forward. As for Barnes, well i think you are underestimating the control and composure that he offered to the backline, you mention the Auckland game, well thats because he was playing 5/8 that game and actually given the opportunity to direct the backline properly.

Anyway those two players are now gone so its irrelevant, i just think some people go into a offensive posturing about players who depart the team and start to belittle there contributions, its a natural defensive mechanism.

vCash
    Wow, thanks Professor Freud, I feel so...analysed.

Its no defensive mechanism. I fully understand MMM's talents. But the truth is that he was a huge injury risk. In the last four years. I believe he would have played about one in every three or four matches. From that point of view, his loss may not be that huge.

As for Barnes, he is a composed player with good defence and a good kicking game. But he is no superstar like O'Connor or Giteau. He has substantial limitaions in attack, and when he does make a break, he is often inclined to not find a support player. Maybe he can improve in these areas, but he certainly needs to.

Personally, I think Quade Cooper will be a better fly half once he matures. He obviously also has weak spots, but I think he has a far more inventive attacking game. Some in rugby circles also believe Ben Lucas has more ability than Barnes, but he has not yet been tested enough.

So overall, there are no rose coloured glasses here - I just realise that the world hasn't collapsed because Barnes is gone. The sun will be up again tomorrow.

vCash
    FWIW I reckon Barnes shits all over Gits as a 5/8

And Gits makes Barnes look like a preschooler at #12

How can I convince Robbie Deans of this though.

In the pack I liked what little I saw of Horwill and Daley, particularly the prop, for a young guy he showed some definite potential.

I reckon Qld is two years away from where the Force is now.......by that I mean no excuses time, if the Force don't produce next season, they'll be dropped like a stone by much of Perth's public......Qld will probably be insulated a bit from the effects of that by their history and the sheer number of rugby stalwarts in the state.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tic View Post
    Wow, thanks Professor Freud, I feel so...analysed.

Its no defensive mechanism. I fully understand MMM's talents. But the truth is that he was a huge injury risk. In the last four years. I believe he would have played about one in every three or four matches. From that point of view, his loss may not be that huge.

As for Barnes, he is a composed player with good defence and a good kicking game. But he is no superstar like O'Connor or Giteau. He has substantial limitaions in attack, and when he does make a break, he is often inclined to not find a support player. Maybe he can improve in these areas, but he certainly needs to.

Personally, I think Quade Cooper will be a better fly half once he matures. He obviously also has weak spots, but I think he has a far more inventive attacking game. Some in rugby circles also believe Ben Lucas has more ability than Barnes, but he has not yet been tested enough.

So overall, there are no rose coloured glasses here - I just realise that the world hasn't collapsed because Barnes is gone. The sun will be up again tomorrow.
    no need to be cynical Tic, if thats your opinion then good for you, im just wandering if we looked back 6months ago your posts would indicate a different story.

As for Ben Lucas, well some in rugby circles also think that Lucas was unfairly chosen over a Luke Mclean(italy 5/8) when it came to junior rep sides and reds contracts, i guess what goes around comes around.

vCash
    Too many Reds players are made of paper... way too many injuries... heres hooping they have a better season in 2010... I can understand MMM going for cash as he never knows how long his rugby career will last with his injury track record but I agree when he's fit he is a good forward...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3