Thread: ROUND ONE CLASH WITH BRUMBIES HIGHLIGHTS EMIRATES WESTERN FORCE 2010 FIXTURES

vCash

ROUND ONE CLASH WITH BRUMBIES HIGHLIGHTS EMIRATES WESTERN FORCE 2010 FIXTURES

The Emirates Western Force will host the Brumbies at ME Bank Stadium in round one of the 2010 Investec Super 14 in the first of the club’s six home games for the season.

The traditionally fiery Australian derby will have added spice next year, with 2009 Wallabies squad members Matt Giteau and Josh Valentine returning to Perth to face their former teammates while ex-Brumbies Nic Henderson and Mark Bartholomeusz could face up against their old side for the first time.

Click here to see the full 2010 Investec Super 14 fixtures

It will also mark the first time a Super Rugby game has been held at ME Bank Stadium, which has previously hosted pre-season trials and Western Force Gold games. The 2009 warm-up against the Crusaders was played in front of a sell-out crowd at the venue.

The WA side will also host marquee home fixtures against the reigning champion Bulls, the 2009 runners-up Chiefs and perennial contenders and fan favourites, the Crusaders.

There will be a return to the west for Wallaby winger Drew Mitchell when the Waratahs visit in Week Six of the competition, and, for the second year in a row, there will be a game in Perth on Good Friday when the Stormers come to town in Week Eight

There will be plenty of travelling for the men in blue, with two trips to New Zealand and a three-match swing through South Africa also part of the 2010 fixtures.

RugbyWA General Manager, Rugby, Mitch Hardy said that hosting the Brumbies in the first week was the perfect way to start the season.

“The Brumbies are always a good litmus test for how a side is travelling, and they will be especially difficult to beat in 2010 given their recruitment of Matt Giteau and Rocky Elsom, among others,” Hardy said.

“We know our members and fans will create a cauldron-like atmosphere at a packed out ME Bank Stadium to cheer our guys on and make sure the Brumbies get a frosty reception.

“Hosting the likes of the Bulls and the Crusaders is certain to create plenty of interest, and I know the team is excited about facing these traditionally strong sides in a rectangular stadium.

“We have become accustomed to the travel after four seasons, as our away record indicates, so we look forward to those challenges. The travel just makes coming home to play in Perth all the more special.

“The Sea of Blue is the best fan base in the country, and their influence will only be magnified in the new venue."

EMIRATES WESTERN FORCE 2010 FIXTURES

(Home games in bold. All times are local, not AWT).

Week One: Friday 12 February v Brumbies, 7.05pm.
    Week Two: Saturday 20 February v Hurricanes, Wellington, 7.35pm
    Week Three: Saturday 27 February v Chiefs, 7.05pm
    Week Four: BYE
    Week Five: Sunday 14 March v Reds, Brisbane, 4.30pm
    Week Six: Saturday 20 March v Waratahs, 7.10pm
    Week Seven: Saturday 27 March v Bulls, 7.10pm
    Week Eight: Friday 2 April v Stormers, 6.05pm
    Week Nine: Saturday 10 April v Highlanders, Queenstown, 2.30pm
    Week Ten: Saturday 17 April v Blues, Auckland, 5.30pm
    Week Eleven: Friday 23 April v Crusaders, 7.45pm
    Week Twelve: Saturday 1 May v Lions, Johannesburg, 5.05pm
    Week Thirteen: Saturday 8 May v Cheetahs, Bloemfontein, 5.05pm
    Week Fourteen: Friday 14 May v Sharks, Durban, 7.10pm

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    6 home games should hopefully see my membership being a little cheaper this season. My wallet could do with the relief.
    Hard finish to the season though with 3 games in the republic and one being the sharks. You can't discount the Lions and Cheetahs at home regardless of where they are on the ladder.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    We've picked up 8 or 9 points on both of our other visits to the Republic to play those teams. Matching that'd be great. Not impossible either. The Lions definitely won't be any better (but how could they get much worse?) than last year. The Cheetahs will probably be a bit better and are definitely threat at the breakdown. So I don't know I reckon the Force should get at least 6.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    im going to reserve my comments until i see how the team gels with Pretorious and the other new kids.. im actually quite nervous as its such a big change from previous years... one things for sure, we cant have another mediocre year....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    6 home games should hopefully see my membership being a little cheaper this season. My wallet could do with the relief.
    They come up with the prices each year based on 6.5 home games a year, add in a supply vs demand situation and getting it cheaper may not happen

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    im going to reserve my comments until i see how the team gels with Pretorious and the other new kids.. im actually quite nervous as its such a big change from previous years... one things for sure, we cant have another mediocre year....
    All the more reason for the team to do the pre season games over in the republic so that they can gel especially 1 2 3 and 9 10 12. This maybe a bit difficult as some of the Wallabies returning players will not be able to participate in the pre season games (same as this years game against the Saders).

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!