Thread: Brumbies agree to Stirling Mortlock's Japan trip

vCash

Post Brumbies agree to Stirling Mortlock's Japan trip

Doing the English Stomp

THE Brumbies have shown support for Wallabies captain Stirling Mortlock's decision to fly to Japan for talks with the Kyuden Voltex club.

Mortlock, who is sidelined with a knee injury, reportedly did not inform the ARU or the Brumbies of his trip to Japan.

But the Brumbies accept Mortlock has reached the stage of his career where he needs to think seriously about his future.

Mortlock, 32, is contracted to the ARU and the Brumbies until the end of next year, but he is considering playing in Japan in the World Cup year, 2011.

"We haven't had any discussions post-2010," Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan said. "We have no issues with him exploring his options. That would be expected.

"He attracted significant interest from Japan in 2008, and I'm sure the interest remains."

Fagan said he had no idea what Mortlock planned to do beyond next year, but he believed the situation would resolve itself.

"I haven't been given an impression one way or another," he said.

"It will work itself out.

"If Mortlock is playing great footy, the ARU would look to keep him in 2011. If not, they may not seek to keep him, nor would he seek to stay.

"I think he'll wait for the 2010 Super 14 season to play itself out.

"We're fine with that. He's been a significant contributor to us. These things come to an end. Whether it's 2010 or 2011, it will come to an end at some stage, which is why we have the current Wallaby outside centre (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in our squad."

Fagan believes Mortlock has yet to make up his mind about whether to go overseas or not.

"I wouldn't expect Stirling to make a decision until next year," Fagan said.

"When he re-signed in 2008, he said these would be his last two years in rugby. But players' views change.

"If he's playing great footy, he will want to go to the World Cup. If not, Robbie Deans will not be so strong about that. I think they'll end up in the same spot."

Mortlock's manager, Nick Johnston, last night confirmed the injured Wallabies captain was in Japan for talks with a club.

"I'm not in a position at this stage to discuss the nature of the talks. I'll be speaking to Stirling and we'll be making a statement in due course," he said.

Fagan conceded Mortlock could command more money in Japan, but he did not think that would be the decisive factor.

"His commitments cover next year. You're only talking about one extra year," Fagan said.

"There would be a financial difference, but not a significant one."

Mortlock sustained his knee injury in the Wallabies' loss to the Springboks in Cape Town on August 8, and he is due back in camp in Sydney on Thursday.

He is aiming to make a comeback on the Wallabies' grand slam tour of Britain and Ireland at the end of the year.

It will be interesting to see if the speculation about Mortlock's future has any impact on his captaincy of the Wallabies.

George Smith led the Wallabies to their 21-6 win against the Springboks in Brisbane on Saturday night, but openside flanker David Pocock, hooker Stephen Moore, second-rower James Horwill and playmakers Matt Giteau and Berrick Barnes are all regarded as potential leaders.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Andrew Fagan: "He did what......shit cats out of the bag now, better go public saying we supported it all along"

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    It's all apples in the Brumby camp...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    It's all apples in the Brumby camp...
    You beat-cha Burgerman... mortlock will be there for 2010... And happy to do so and play hard for another year with the mighty Brumbies...

vCash
    He will injure himself and be gone half the season as per the Mortlock form guide

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    He will injure himself and be gone half the season as per the Mortlock form guide
    I didn't know you were an optimist Jargs.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I have some hesitation he will play the whole season... but thats cool as he can be there to win the final...