Thread: EFFERVESCENT PALMYRA BLAST INTO GRAND FINAL

vCash

EFFERVESCENT PALMYRA BLAST INTO GRAND FINAL

Minor premiers Palmyra threw away the script and confounded their critics with a stunning 43-10 demolition of runners up Nedlands at Lark Hill today in the first grade major semi-final of the Rugby WA club competition, sponsored by KWIK Crane and Transport Hire.

The Melville club turned every expectation upside-down in this most emphatic of wins. Palmyra were supposed to be the team out of form and Nedlands the team on an unstoppable roll. On a rainy, windswept Lark Hill ground, a tight, all-kicking finals game was only sensible.

Palmyra took no notice of any of that and simply did what they do best: ran the ball from everywhere and let their natural, exciting creative talents speak for themselves. That wouldn''t have been possible had not Palmyra's under-rated forward pack swarmed all over the big Nedlands eight, veteran lock Kiti Fuluna and dynamic number 8 Siosefo Manu in outstanding form.

The game was still tight and drawn 7-7 at half time, as Palmyra made all the play but Nedlands hung in with occasional telling forays. But minutes after the second spell kicked off, the flood gates opened and Paly did not look back. An off-colour Nedlands helped out with errors and offences, looking a completely different team to the outfit that steamed into the major semi-final with ten straight wins.
    Palmyra attacked from the kick off and almost scored in the opening minutes despite several huge scrums from Nedlands.

Nedlands broke out briefly but Paly continued dominating possession and, 14 minutes in, a panicked defensive kick from Nedlands gave Palmyra attacking position, half back Dave Serukai shooting through heavy traffic to put inside centre Konelio Feaunati away out wide. Feaunati crossed near the corner but came around to touch down behind the posts and flyhalf Quintyn Austin converted the sitter across a stiff cross-field wind.

Palmyra kept the pressure on, running fluid attacking phases while Nedlands looked nervous and disjointed in their few attempts. Neddies' offences didn't help their cause either, and Austin attempted a penalty goal for a dangerous tackle just before the half hour but the ball veered wildly off course as the wind swept in from the ocean.

Nedlands inside centre Mike Denton had more luck with a penalty attempt before half time but it bounced off the posts. Neddies regathered and hammered Paly's line with multiple phases until lock James Cullimore plunged over for the try. Denton converted from a difficult angle despite the gale and the semi-final was drawn 7-7 at half time.

Palmyra opened the second spell in the best possible fashion when Nedlands were again penalised for lifting the front row of the scrum. Paly took the penalty lineout and rucked up, Austin slipping through the defence in close to score under the posts after 5 minutes.

Austin converted the sitter and four minutes later was in again, sprinting down the sideline for a try in the corner after Nedlands failed to control a kick through. Wing George Jones converted the difficult goal and the minor premiers shot clear 21-7.

Neddies gained more territory and Denton kicked a simple penalty for coming in the side of the ruck after 16 minutes.

But the minor premiers were in an ebullient mood, Austin again slicing up the Nedlands defence after 21 minutes, handing on to veteran wing Johnny Vasukilakau for a thumping try beside the posts. The ball fell off the tee to ruin Jones' conversion attempt but Paly's lead increased to 26-10.

There was more to come. Fuluna burst free from a maul on the sideline unexpectedly on the half hour and caught the entire Nedlands back line out of position, galloping 30 metres down the sideline for a try in the corner. The conversion bounced off the goal post pad but Paly went ahead 31-10.

Neddies could do nothing right. The Royal Blues worked back to hammer Paly's line and just when a face-saving score looked imminent, Feaunati intercepted a short inside pass and sprinted 80 metres for an Olympic quality swan dive try under the bar. Austin knocked over the sitter and Paly's supporters went wild at 38-10 and with minutes to play.

Palmyra kept at it, running the ball relentlessly and fullback Scott Bowley grabbed the second intercept to sprint clear and score on the verge of fulltime. Summing up the Melville team's celebratory spirit, two metre tall reserve lock Chris Rankin took the final conversion and made a creditable attempt at it too, but steered it wide.

Palmyra go into the grand final at Members Equity stadium on September 19 while Nedlands lives to fight again in next Saturday's preliminary final at McGillivray Oval, against the winner of tomorrow's minor semi-final between Cottesloe and Wanneroo.

by Rick Boyd

http://rugbywa.com.au/news/article,56371.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Who were Palmrya's critics??
    Posted via Mobile Device

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Rick Boyd?

I've only ever criticised their personal hygiene practices ...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Fulvio

(I backed em today reckon it will be Wanneroo Paly showdown )

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    What an amazing result!

I had seen Neddies in Round 1 and they looked pretty flat when drawing with Baysie but they really looked flat today. Not from want of trying but because Paly finally played like they were playing in the early rounds. Quite an entertaining game - nice write-up Rick, except I think you're extracting the urine with the "...Summing up the Melville team's celebratory spirit, two metre tall reserve lock Chris Rankin took the final conversion and made a creditable attempt at it too, but steered it wide...." bit. Stretch never really looked like he was going to get it from the moment he started his pacing backwards in preparation.

Boy was it fkn cold when the rain hit early in the 1st half - made one feel alive; wandering the far touch line with the freezing cold rain spearing into one's face....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Quite an entertaining game - nice write-up Rick, except I think you're extracting the urine with the "...Summing up the Melville team's celebratory spirit, two metre tall reserve lock Chris Rankin took the final conversion and made a creditable attempt at it too, but steered it wide...." bit. Stretch never really looked like he was going to get it from the moment he started his pacing backwards in preparation.
    Ooo, that's rubbing salt into some neddies wounds. Last time I recall seeing Stretch line up for goal was the scratch match against the Yankee sailors. Think he landed that one though.

vCash
    Come on Ecky. It was the right length and the right height, just the wrong direction. I thought it was a pretty good effort in those conditions.

Player
    vCash
    fantastic grounds best finals for years well done all involed at rocky

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rick boyd View Post
    Come on Ecky. It was the right length and the right height, just the wrong direction. I thought it was a pretty good effort in those conditions.
    ......by a player not known for his kicking skills/ability

OK; I will give you that Rick.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Got a letter from RugbyWA today saying I just need to turn up to a gate at MES and show my RugbyWA members card to get free entry, also show it to the grandstand attendants to get in there too.

I'm assuming it comes with access to the "full strength" beer bar

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm willing to provide my services as a rugby savant to anyone who can get me into the full strength beer part of the ground, Coach.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Shouldn't an "Effervescent" Team fizz in rather than blast in?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.