Thread: Rod McCall to be the new QRU Chairman

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Rod McCall to be the new QRU Chairman

Former Queensland and Wallaby captain Rod McCall will be the new Chairman of Queensland Rugby after being selected to fill a director vacancy on the QRU Board.

A field of eight candidates was considered by a nominations sub-committee of four, which included two independent members from outside the QRU, before the Board made the decision to appoint Mr McCall, 45, to replace former Chairman Peter Lewis, who stood down at the end of July.

Under the QRU Constitution, directors have the power to appoint any person to fill a casual vacancy until the next Annual Meeting, which is due in April 2010. The Board decided that Mr McCall should also be the new Chairman, with current director Steve Wilson as the new Deputy Chairman.

Mr McCall, who played 107 games for Queensland and 40 Tests for Australia, including winning the 1991 Rugby World Cup, is a current ARU director and heads up a successful printing business.

QRU President David Crombie, who chaired the nomination sub-committee, said Mr McCall had emerged from a strong field of candidates as the standout choice to lead Queensland Rugby at a challenging time.

“Rod is a proven leader both on and off the field, with experience as an international player, a successful businessman and as a rugby administrator, from junior rugby all the way up to the national level,” Mr Crombie said.

“He is therefore well equipped and well placed to help steer the right course for Queensland Rugby in both the professional and grassroots game. I’m sure everyone in Queensland Rugby will join me in offering congratulations and support.

“I also want to thank my fellow nominations sub-committee members who helped achieve this excellent outcome - Bruce Swann, from the Sunnybank Rugby Club, merchant banker Peter Hemming and our now former Acting Chairman, Steve Wilson.”

Mr McCall said he was honoured to have been given the opportunity to help shape the strategic direction of Queensland Rugby.

“I thank the Board for putting their faith in me and I look forward to working closely with Deputy Chairman Steve Wilson and the other Board members on the tasks ahead - the most pressing being the recruitment of a new CEO to replace Ken Freer, whose resignation takes effect on October 31,” Mr McCall said.

“My other priority is getting to know the business in more detail; to see where we currently sit, where we need to be in the future and track a path on how we are going to achieve that."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    I really hope it works for them. Queensland is an integral part of Australian rugby.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!