Article from: PerthNow
Nick Taylor, rugby writer
August 29, 2009 06:30pm

EXCLUSIVE: WESTERN Force marquee signing, former Springbok Andre Pretorius, wore his national colours with pride on Saturday - but that will change in 2010.
The prolific point scoring five-eighth slipped into Perth with girlfriend Mia for a 10-day visit just in time for last night's Tri-Nations Test at Subiaco.

Fully recovered from a hamstring operation he underwent fitness testing with the Force medical staff and met his new coaches.

The couple took time out for a bit of house hunting and yesterday paid a visit to Boktown, the Leederville Hotel home of SA supporters on Test day.

"I had been carrying the hamstring for a while and wanted to get it fixed before I came here. Everything's great now," the 30-year-old said.

Pressure will be on as he steps into the departed Matt Giteau's boots but he said: "I spoke at length with the coaching staff for feedback and we have the same views.

"We have to get the right balance between running and kicking, the decision making has to be right.

"The pressure that you are under when you play is the pressure you put on yourself to perform as a professional athlete.

"You want to perform."

He has been impressed with Force off-season recruiting and pleased that the signature of James O'Connor was imminent.

"The scrum has certainly improved a lot and James is good news for the team and the brand," he said.

"I guess you can't call him a prospect any more because he's a Wallaby but he's going to be great for the future."

As for the prospect of a first Force finals appearance next year, Pretorius said: "Last year they lost a couple of games by narrow margins. If they had won those they could have made the finals but it's one step at a time at the moment."

The member of the 2007 Springboks World Cup winning squad with almost 650 points in Super rugby for the Johannesburg-based Lions stands seventh on the top points list.

He also racked up 171 points in 31 Springboks appearances since his debut in 2002.

He will be back in Perth for pre-season training in November.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005403,00.html