Thread: WALLABIES ASSISTANT RICHARD GRAHAM TO JOIN THE EMIRATES WESTERN FORCE COACHING STAFF

vCash

WALLABIES ASSISTANT RICHARD GRAHAM TO JOIN THE EMIRATES WESTERN FORCE COACHING STAFF

Friday, 28 August 2009 3:45pm
    RugbyWA

Richard GrahamWallabies Skills Coach Richard Graham will join John Mitchell, Geoff Townsend and Matt Tink in the Emirates Western Force coaching ranks for the 2010 Investec Super 14 seasons.

Currently in his first season with the national side, the former Saracens Head Coach will take the role of Assistant Coach vacated by John Mulvihill.

Graham’s appointment is for the next two Super Rugby seasons, as he will resume his role with the national side at the conclusion of the provincial competition. He will join the WA club in January following the Wallabies’ Spring Tour.

Mitchell is entering his fifth season as Head Coach, Townsend is the club’s Skills and Academy Coach and Tink the scrum coach.

RugbyWA General Manager, Rugby, Mitch Hardy, said Graham would add significant experience to a strong professional staff.

“Richard has had success in England at Saracens and Bath, and now being an integral part of the Wallabies set-up shows the high regard he is held in,” Hardy said.

“He has some excellent ideas that he has discussed at length with John Mitchell, and that, combined with his knowledge national program, will stand our squad in good stead going forward.

Graham said he was excited to have the opportunity to work with the WA club during the Super Rugby season.

“It’s important for coaches to be coaching, which is something Robbie (Wallabies coach Robbie Deans) has always been in favour of,” Graham said.

“The coaching team in WA has done a great job in the four seasons since the club’s inception, and I’m certainly looking forward to working with John Mitchell and the professional rugby staff at the Emirates Western Force.

“Obviously I am familiar with several of the Force guys through working with the Wallabies. There is plenty of potential and quality in the likes of James O’Connor, Pek Cowan, Matt Hodgson, Ryan Cross and David Pocock, not to mention the presence and leadership in Nathan Sharpe.

“I see plenty of other players ready to make the step to the highest level at the club too.

“I’m very happy that RugbyWA and ARU have made it possible for me to combine roles with the two teams. I can only see the arrangement as being mutually beneficial going forward.”

FACT FILE

Richard Graham

Born: 05/08/72

Major Coaching Appointments:
    Skills, Backs & Defence Coach – Bath, 2002-06
    Coaching Coordinator then Head Coach – Saracens, 2006-09
    Skills Coach –Wallabies, 2009

Major Coaching Achievements:
    English Premiership Finalists – 2003-04, Bath
    Powergen Cup Finalists – 2004-05, Bath
    Heineken Cup Semi-Finalists – 2005-06, Bath
    Heineken Cup Semi-Finalists – 2007-08, Saracens

More...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 28-08-09 at 14:35.