Thread: Western Force considering pre-season Cape Town competition

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Western Force considering pre-season Cape Town competition

Article from: PerthNow
    Nick Taylor, rugby writer
    August 13, 2009 06:00pm

THE Western Force is considering a pre-season competition with the Sharks and Stormers in Cape Town in January.
    Negotiations between the three sides have started but the plan is still at an early stage and nothing has been confirmed, a Force spokesman said.

It will be vital for the new look Force squad to get a few games under its belt before the start of the 2010 season and coach John Mitchell is said to be keen on the idea.

Mitchell, who has been helping out with the Sharks during a visit to South Africa, said such a competition would be of great value and would act as a yardstick against which to measure his side.

The competition would be a move away from the traditional Force pre-season game against the Crusaders.

They hosted them before a sell-out crowd at ME Bank Stadium before this season and in the previous three Super 14 build-ups played them in Melbourne.

They Force has also played Samoa and the Queensland Reds in the lead up to the season.
    http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005403,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    If you live in Cape Town...

Champion
    vCash
    I dont want EWF free running style to be tarnish by the yarpie style of kick and hope - stay here and play some warm up matches aganist the kiwi teams - yarpie style of rugby is boring and killing the game.

Feel better now!

vCash
    Get it out of your system, no use bottling it up! It seems it's a springbok thing, BD- the last currie cup game I saw was pretty good.

vCash
    I reckon they should play a few games against the academy, like they did last year before leaving for their tour. That had a pretty good turn out considering it was mid-week and bucketing down.

Atleast if they play the academy they can trial new combinations, ban kicking for a match so players have no option but to run it, give the academy boys a chance to play against the Super 14 boys and not lose any credibility (in the eyes of the media & other franchises) that they might lose if we lost to another Super 14 team. Plus it gives us, the fans, a chance to see our team playing more often.

Alternatively get the Force to play each of the premier grade teams. The only way Rugby in WA is going to be of a higher standard is if someone puts in the effort and having the Force play against each of the teams would certainly be a step in the right direction IMO. Not to mention beating the Force would be a massive coup for any of the premier grade teams and give the Force boys a bit of a reality check and kick up the bum to improve their game.

Last edited by laura; 25-08-09 at 16:49.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    The internal trial at Harvey Field last year was great to watch. You could sit on the sideline and drink beers for free. Bargain.

They need the warmers in South Africa though. I mean remember how undercooked we were against the Blues and the Cheetahs last year? South African games will ensure our set piece is well drilled and we are ready for anything at the breakdown. Plus of all the SA teams those two are the most likely to run the ball.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Headin to SA is a great idea...nothing like a road trip early on to unite the boys and get their heads together

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Cold View Post
    Headin to SA is a great idea...nothing like a road trip early on to unite the boys and get their heads together
    Pre-season InnFORCErs tour anybody?!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Sounds like a great idea to me.
    As a "fan" I want to see my team as much as possible, but as a supporter I know the best way to prepare for a tough season is with tough matches on the road.
    Far better to be away as a unit 24/7 (deregulated team bonding...) and hit the S14 running than to see a few extra token matches and then lose more than we win when it counts.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I reckon they should try and get Fiji/Samoa/Tonga/Japan/USA etc. over here! Surely all these national teams are after as much as they can get heading into 2010 an dthen RWC2011 ? MES would be teh perfect size for these games too - they could possibly even have a couple...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Sounds good too Boss, maybe Summer '11?
    Have a full round robin tournament...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.