Thread: Change the team and game plan, Robbie

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Change the team and game plan, Robbie

August 25, 2009

Article from: The Australian

Faced with the prospect of coaching a team which could go through a Tri-Nations campaign without a win, Dingo Deans and his selection committee must make changes to the Wallabies, and to their game plan for this weekend's battle with a rampant and surely overconfident Sprinboks in Perth.
    I also reckon they need to do something even more radical, and choose a new captain – Rocky Elsom - and give Giteau the VC job. That might sound strange, but before you dismiss it, consider the two blokes who run the show for New Zealand and you start to think that it’s not such a bad idea.

But first to the team.

It’s surely time to start with more speed out wide. Peter Hynes can be mercurial, and can miss tackles, but at least he is fast. Faster, particularly off the mark, than Turner, who should revert to the bench. Put Ashley Cooper back at fullback, and use the speed and risk taking of O’Connor – if fit – in the last 25 minutes as a replacement.

Drew Mitchell knows Subiaco well and I would give him another chance on the other wing but if he hadn’t been injured last weekend in local Sydney rugby, I would have preferred Ratu Nasiganiyavi as the other wing. I know Ratu has not even played for NSW yet, but Australian rugby has a successful history of plucking blokes from relative obscurity and I reckon this would be an inspired pick.
    Critically, Deans must start with Ryan Cross at outside centre. Cross also knows the local ground and conditions and is the kind of hard, straight runner the Wallabies will need to get through the South African midfield (more of that in a minute).

Barnes and Giteau stay where they are, but Genia must start at halfback. What I like about Genia is that he not only has a better passing game than Burgess, but he is one of those players who seems to know instinctively where to play.

Australia will need Cliffy Palu to come back into form at number eight, to help manage the huge South African forwards, and it’s not worth risking Richard Brown except off the bench.
    Similarly, start with Elsom and Smith but consider bringing on Pocock late if the game speeds up in open play. Give Horwill another chance at lock, and keep Sharpe cause someone has to call the lineouts. Drop Baxter to the bench so he can get really angry for 60 minutes, (that’s when he plays well) and tell Ben Alexander not to try the hero stuff. Moore starts at hooker and the Robinson on the other side.

Also importantly, make Elsom captain. His experience in Europe has changed the guy and he is rapidly becoming a smart, Richie McCaw-type leader in waiting. He is also an inspirational, "follow me you idiots" type bloke. Make Giteau vice captain and let Smith get on with playing the game.

As for the game plan, take a leaf out of the book of the last team to beat South Africa – the Lions. They attacked, attacked, and attacked, running straight lines in the centres. That’s why for Australia to succeed we need Ryan Cross to play at 13, and run hard at the Bok midfield, who do miss tackles.
    Providing the Wallabies target the new Bok number 6 for the clean out, they will be able to recycle the ball and get the big African forwards running backwards.
    The same ball in hand approach needs to be taken by the forwards but not one out (Stephen Moore and Ben Robinson and even James Horwill can do this together with Elsom) and once the line is broken, give it to the short fast blokes like Hynes or Giteau (the Lions used the fast Welsh wingers for this).
    What we don't need are unecessary and half-baked box kicks, poor and predictable return tactical kicks (they dominate lineouts remember) unless the Boks don’t expect it. The odd kick in behind the line grubber style is not a bad option either, provided it’s not collected by Habana, B.

The ref is Bryce Lawrence so we should get some flowing rugby but, for crying out loud, if we are locked up in extra time in front of their posts, try a drop goal – again, a decision I reckon Elsom, having played northern rugby, could make.

Overall, run the ball, a lot and believe in your mate’s to recycle it if you are tackled. That’s what Australian rugby is supposed to be about and it’s the thing teams fear in the Wallabies. They sure as heck don’t fear our kicking game.
    Over to you ...

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...016231,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Who wrote this. I've not seen an article from any writer for the Australian which contains any indication that the writer has actually seen the game being played. The only question I had was over the Cliff Palu comment, but it actually said 'we need Cliffy to perform again at #8' I agree, If he can perform, a big 8 is a good idea against the Boks!

I still think Giteau is the best 12 in the world, and should be there, his kicking is getting worse, not better!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the