Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: All Blacks win Bledisloe thriller with 19-18 victory against the Wallabies

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

All Blacks win Bledisloe thriller with 19-18 victory against the Wallabies

The Bledisloe Cup is gone again for Australia after New Zealand five-eighth Dan Carter kicked a 79th minute penalty goal to give his side a thrilling 19-18 Test victory.

Carter, making his return to international rugby after six months out with a snapped Achilles tendon, lined up the difficult kick after the Wallabies had run into trouble near their own line, and kicked home to grab the one-point advantage in a heart-stopping match.

Australia launched a late attacking raid at ANZ Stadium in a bid to snatch a win after leading for most of the match.

But the Wallabies were unable to keep possession when it counted, signalling the beginning of the celebrations for the New Zealanders.

Australia now head into a seventh year without the Bledisloe Cup, which they last held in 2002, and the defeat also virtually means the end of their Tri Nations chances.

Bledisloe Cup holders New Zealand have a 2-0 lead in the four-match series against Australia and will retain the trophy.

But a spirited performance on Saturday night may have saved the scalps of several Wallabies players who were reportedly under pressure heading into the game.

The All Blacks scored the only try of the match, through Ma'a Nonu in the 64th minute, but predictions of a boring kick-fest were wide of the mark as the crowd of 80,228 were kept enthralled.

After a first half in which Australia kicked four penalty goals to one despite not dominating territory, to lead 12-3 at the break, the Wallabies needed to hang on for dear life against a second half onslaught from the Kiwis.

The All Blacks were denied two tries in less than two minutes by referee Jonathan Kaplan - a forward pass from Sitiveni Sivivatu denied Carter in the 52nd minute while a controversial obstruction ruling when Jimmy Cowan was over the line in the 53rd also resulted in a no-try.

But a massive weight of possession in the second half had to give and it did in the 64th when, after a Giteau clearance had been charged down, Nonu handled twice in a sublime movement to score.

Carter's conversion gave the All Blacks their first lead since the fourth minute at 16-15.

That was shortlived, however, as Australia finally raided NZ territory and came away with another Giteau penalty goal and an 18-16 lead.

“We were just starved of possession in that second half,” Wallabies captain George Smith said.

“Whenever we got the chance, we kicked the ball away.

“We got ourselves in good position down here (in the final minute) but we didn't take our opportunity.

“But there were some positive aspects. The boys tried hard out there ...”

It was physical, as the long list of walking wounded indicated. Centre Berrick Barnes (neck) failed to return for the second half, James O'Connor limped off with a cork in the 46th, Stephen Moore's head was left bloodied after a first-half head clash and All Blacks centre Luke McAlister appeared to be knocked senseless twice.

Discipline was again an issue for Australia, with No.8 Richard Brown sinbinned for his second straight Test, in the 43rd minute for a lifting tackle on All Blacks prop Owen Franks and prop Al Baxter hooked in the first half after a scrum penalty.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...016959,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Bugger hey.

I don't think Brownie will see any game time for a while. How good was Peter Hynes?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    That yellow on Brown was a bit of a line call - I don't think he'll be dropped because of that...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Its going to be a rough weekend for the Aussies..Bledisloe..gone..Tri-Nations..gone..Ashes..going going go..

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    How good will the Turner/Mitchell combination be for the Tahs next year!

vCash
    I can't believe Mitchells first touch was in the 38th minute.

JOC pulled a heart muscle and proved he's not mentally ready for that level yet.

From a nuetral point of view it was a great game of rugby.

It proved that only the boks are trying to ruin the game for spectators.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    It proved that only the boks are trying to ruin the game for spectators.
    That's abit rough. Having played a competitive sport, I'm sure you'd agree that when it comes to the crunch, the win is most important and stuff the spectacle.

I don't think there was a collaborative effort today to play entertaining rugby and really what it does prove is that there are several ways to skin a cat.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    How good was Peter Hynes?
    Was very impressed with his form. It seemed from the first touch (very impressive as he came on for JOC) he made a real impact on the game.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Week in week out we say the same things - more aggression and commitment at the breakdown, watch your discipline (attention Browny), and don't let the opposition make you play THEIR game, yet it seems to happen over again. I don't actually think, though we were close, we deserved to win that game. Drew needs to learn how to kick. I think its goodbye Baxter. I agree Hynesy played well.

vCash
    Baxter looked like he was going to cry when he came off... considering the impact i dont think id be surprised if he actually did.

Hynes was MoM for the wallabies..rock solid under the high ball and made metres where noone else seemed to be able to.
    Rocky and Sharpie did some hard yards in the boiler room and AAC also had a goood game IMHO.

vCash
    Anyone else think that Rocky was very lucky not to be given a yellow-card after only 5 seconds? I'm sure that at any other time during the match taking out a man in the air like that would warrant a sit-down for 10 minutes. Kaplan needs to grow some cojones!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Ouch.... that’s extremely disappointing... however Wallabies defence was outstanding and they played hard on the ball....

Drew Mitchell kicking the ball dead late in the match lost control of the play and failed to tick down the minutes to hold the win. JOC going for a wishful drop goal on the run at halfway was ridiculous, plain wasteful...

Sounds like a few new boys in the 22 will be back next weekend… Brown plays hard but same mistakes but I expect to see him back next week… The Wallabies depth is looking very thin in places... No Lote, Tahu and Gerrard available due to ARU management decisions now is becoming a very serious issue with mounting injuries in the backs and lack of international caps… Oooops has JON dropped the ball? By withdrawing Australia A from the Pacific nations cup…

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Giteau had a shocker
    I reckon he realises he made a mistake in leaving the Force to endure a Canberra winter & the decision is affecting his game!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    Giteau had a shocker
    I reckon he realises he made a mistake in leaving the Force to endure a Canberra winter & the decision is affecting his game!
    Gits hasn't been at his best... but he'll win a championship with the wild horses... His goal kicking was excellent last night...

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    right on cue,Muddie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast