Thread: A whack to the wallet will harden up the Wallabies

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

A whack to the wallet will harden up the Wallabies

Greg Growden | August 17, 2009

MONDAY MAUL

IN THE real world, those who perform are rewarded.

In Wallabyland mediocrity is rewarded, due to a cosy Test remuneration system in which players get the same amount whether they win or lose. That could be about to change due to the strong possibility that under the new SANZAR broadcasting deal the way Australian players are paid will be revised, making it more incentive-based.

This is not before time. Regardless of the result, the Wallabies enjoy about $11,500 per Test - on top of their substantial base salary and the honour of appearing in the green and gold. This has contributed to a meandering era in which you don't exactly see Wallabies devastated after losses. Go back and watch videos of defeats in recent years, and the reactions of certain players. Some are even laughing and joking, patting each other on the back, making one ponder about their commitment. Sure, many do get angry and they make the right ''we're filthy'' comments but it appears to have more to do with personal performance, than team effort. Too much is focused on number one.

So if you want to make a loss really hurt, hit their hip pocket. Why not make it $15,000 for a win and $5000 for a loss? I guarantee the reaction after a Test defeat would be vastly different. I can also guarantee you the standard of performance will improve.

The Australian players' union, which is bound to get on its soap box if the system is changed, has nothing to whinge about, because significant salary increases over the past decade have done nothing to boost Australia's performances. Instead, the Wallabies have gone nowhere. The facts are brutal.

The Wallabies haven't won the Tri Nations since 2001. They haven't held the Bledisloe Cup since 2002. It is now 10 years since they were World Cup champions.

They've won a few one-off trophies but nothing substantial for a long time. And while rugby players command salaries the envy of league and AFL, the game in Australia is falling well behind those two.

Thankfully, the opportunity exists to change the system through the new SANZAR broadcasting deal, which is in the opening stages of renegotiation, and a new corporate bargaining agreement in which Australian players will be paid a certain amount of money to play Super rugby, because it will be an extended season.

This could prompt the ARU to move away from contract top-ups towards a Test win-loss bonus, rather than an increase in match payments. This might not even bother certain senior Wallabies, as in recent contract negotiations with the ARU some admitted they didn't count Test match payments when determining their salaries. That's hardly a case of backing yourself.

For Wallabies coach Robbie Deans, this is all new territory. He has encountered a completely new culture and mentality at the Wallabies to what he was accustomed to in New Zealand. At the Crusaders and All Blacks, there was always intense competition for spots, and he was surrounded by men with ticker who wanted to die for the colours. Here the atmosphere is softer, because players know they can be in cruise mode as their positions are not under threat. The lack of depth in Australian rugby has created a cocoon.

Deans is a good enough coach to overcome this, but it will be an enormous test of his capabilities - undoubtedly the biggest challenge of his career - to stop players from going missing and become totally committed to the cause.

The talent is there, as are the skills. It is the minds of the Wallabies that have to be hardened. Taking the Wallabies out of their comfort zone by improving the Test pay structure would certainly help.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...361982823.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Is Growden on holiday (or drugs?!)....that's the 2nd article within a week that makes sense!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Whatever, I hope he's right. I've been in favor of such changes for a long time. I dunno what's with Growden these days. Seems to be making some genuinely good points pretty often.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Next thing he will be saying kind things about The Force......naaaaaahhhhhh...

Just happy to be here

Senior Player
    vCash
    Growden is an idiot and always will be. I have taken not to reading his tirades. Shame I was caught unawares here.