Thread: Wallabies coach Robbie Deans looking at changes ahead of All Blacks Test

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans looking at changes ahead of All Blacks Test

By Bret Harris
    August 15, 2009 There is mounting evidence that Wallabies coach Robbie Deans plans to make wide-ranging changes to the team to play the All Blacks in Sydney next Saturday.
    Deans ran a new-look pack during a lineout session at training at Coogee Oval on Thursday.
    Hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau, tighthead prop Ben Alexander, second-rower Dean Mumm and blindside flanker Rocky Elsom practised the lineout in place of Stephen Moore, Al Baxter, Nathan Sharpe and Richard Brown.
    The forwards scrummaged in the same formation at training at Leichhardt Oval on Friday, reinforcing the view that Deans will overhaul the pack for the Test against New Zealand.
    The lineout disintegrated in the 27-19 loss to the Springboks in Cape Town last Saturday, while the scrum improved when Polota-Nau and Alexander came off the bench.
    The inclusion of the talismanic Elsom for Brown is a foregone conclusion if he does not suffer a recurrence of the knee injury which has sidelined him since the end of May.
    But if Deans goes ahead with the other changes, which now seems most likely, it will mark a watershed in the development of this team.
    While Deans is conscious of the need for the forwards to have core skills at the set pieces, he is looking to build a pack which will compete hard at the breakdown, which is where he believes the game is won and lost.
    There is unlikely to be many changes in the backline, although winger Peter Hynes is putting pressure on Lachie Turner for the number 14 jersey.
    There is certain to be one significant change to the All Blacks backline given the long awaited return of five-eighth Dan Carter.
    "I'm not sure he will have a huge influence on them," five-eighth Matt Giteau said. "It is a big challenge and certainly one I welcome."
    "You enjoy playing the best. I consider him the best fly half in world rugby."
    Giteau will be looking to make amends after being sin-binned for a dangerous tackle on Springbok halfback Fourie du Preez.
    "That was the hardest 10 minutes in rugby I've ever had to do," Giteau said. "I found that frustrating and to go over there and train and prepare as well as we did and not come away with anything was disappointing."
    Meanwhile, a recent survey has shown unanimous support by players and agents for the Rugby Union Players Association's (RUPA) world first agent accreditation scheme.
    After a number of instances of unscrupulous behaviour, RUPA introduced the scheme in 2005 to raise the skill and competence level of agents along with levels of moral and ethical standards.
    All agents who represent players must be accredited.
    "Since the inception of the scheme, players have felt far more at ease in knowing that all rugby player agents are being regulated in their activity," Waratahs hooker Adam Freier said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23217,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Is Bret Harris having Cliff Palu's baby?

I can't believe he honestly thinks Brown is the man who needs to be dropped from the back row!

C'mon the

vCash
    I'd go with Brown being droped from the back line so long as he goes in at 8.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    And Sharpe was good last week. The lineout issues are a pack responsibility.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    And Sharpe was good last week. The lineout issues are a pack responsibility.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I didn't want to make that call Jedi, you probably know more than me. I thought it was the throwing that was the issue, but it could just have easily been a communication problem couldn't it.....since Sharpie calls the lineout, communication would be his responsibility wouldn't it.

If anybody who knows about lineouts can defend Sharpie I'll follow though!

C'mon the