Thread: Brumbies Sign Rookie Back

vCash

Thumbs up Brumbies Sign Rookie Back

Rookie Smith joins Brumbies for 2010
    Wednesday, 12 August 2009
    Brumbies Media Unit

Andrew Smith 2009 v Perpignan

The Brumbies have filled the last of their outside back positions with Andrew Smith joining the squad on a one-year rookie contract for 2010.

The Northern Suburbs utility back joined the Brumbies for their recent four-match French Tour and, after several excellent performances, was awarded Best Back for the tour and finished second – behind Pat McCabe – in the Player of the Tour poll.

Smith, who can play outside centre, wing and fullback, has previously represented the Australian Under 19’s and Australian Sevens squads in 2004 and was a member of the NSW Professional Academy in 2008.

The 24-year-old says he’s looking forward to becoming a Brumby in 2010.

“I’m very excited about next year,” he said. “There’s been a lot of talk about the potential at the Brumbies and I’m excited about being part of that success as well as joining great players like Rocky [Elsom], Stirling [Mortlock] and Matt Giteau in the squad.

“I tasted a bit of professional football at the Waratahs [Academy] last year and it was a goal of mine to work my way into a Super 14 squad. While Norths are struggling a bit this year I’ve tried to be more dominant and consistent in my footy, which I think I’ve done.

“I was hoping to use this season to be knocking on the door for a contract, I was fortunate enough to be selected for the [ Brumbies French] tour and the next goal is to play Super 14 rugby.

“I felt very comfortable playing under Andy Friend and the Brumbies coaching structures while we were in France. I also had the opportunity to train in Canberra for a few days leading into the tour and I was impressed with the set-up and I’m just looking forward to starting next season.”

Smith joins a Brumbies outside back arsenal that already includes Wallabies Stirling Mortlock and Adam Ashley-Cooper, McCabe, Francis Fainifo, Alfi Mafi and Australian Under 20’s representative Afusipa Taumoepeau.

Head Coach Andy Friend says Smith’s signing adds to the significant depth within his backline ranks leading into the 2010 Investec Super 14 season.

“Andrew’s certainly got all the attributes to make it at the Super 14 level and I’d have no hesitation in using him next season,” he said. “He’s got excellent size and power, he’s got a good rugby brain and reads the game well and runs good lines, but he’s also got an aggressive edge and doesn’t shy away from the physical stuff.

“His form for Norths this season has been very impressive and he only enhanced his reputation with his performances in France.

“He fitted into the squad extremely well – it was hand in glove stuff. He’s the sort of player who gets on with things, works hard and trains hard and is very professional in his approach to his rugby.”

Smith joins flanker Henry Vanderglas as the two rookie contracted players for 2010.

Andrew Smith
    Position: Outside Back
    Physical: 1.94m, 106kg
    State Caps: 4
    State Points: 5 (1t)
    State Debut: 2009 v CS Bourgoin-Jallieu
    Super 14 Caps: -
    Super 14 Points: -
    Super 14 Debut: -

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I thought foreign players were banging on the doors to play for the Brumbies

My arse.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I thought foreign players were banging on the doors to play for the Brumbies

My arse.
    Andy Friend said late in the year they would offer the last spot to a young up and coming Australian outside back as a Rookie contract if JOC didn't sign on... I’m happy with that, who knows Andrew smith may be the next Stirling Mortlock or Joe Roff given a chance...

However it looks like Peter Betham has been let go… He is not on the 2010 team list at the brumbies site…

http://www.brumbies.com.au/act.rugby/page/45969

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Andy Friend said late in the year they would offer the last spot to a young up and coming Australian outside back as a Rookie contract if JOC didn't sign on... I’m happy with that, who knows Andrew smith may be the next Stirling Mortlock or Joe Roff given a chance...

However it looks like Peter Betham has been let go… He is not on the 2010 team list at the brumbies site…

http://www.brumbies.com.au/act.rugby/page/45969
    24 is hardly young up and coming, reality of the situation is that if you havent cracked it into the professional world by 22 for a back and 23 for a forward(at latest), you probably arent good enough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    24 is hardly young up and coming, reality of the situation is that if you havent cracked it into the professional world by 22 for a back and 23 for a forward(at latest), you probably arent good enough.
    I guess will have to wait and see if he gets a chance... he has been about, perhaps he has had injuries, Andrew Smith is well spoken about in Sydney rugby circles...

But at 24 he is fully developed and a large strong fast outside back... When Melbourne gets on board we can only hope a State ARC style comp is set up so these guys can be found earlier and develop...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I wonder what would happen if the ACT, WA, Vic, a combined SA/others and maybe a country/west NSW decided to have a little round robin comp....? A bit of higher level competition, and a nice training tool to help the Melbourne side get established. Would the ARU step in and put a stop to it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    I guess will have to wait and see if he gets a chance... he has been about, perhaps he has had injuries, Andrew Smith is well spoken about in Sydney rugby circles...

But at 24 he is fully developed and a large strong fast outside back... When Melbourne gets on board we can only hope a State ARC style comp is set up so these guys can be found earlier and develop...
    potentially, i would have thought targetting one of the australian schoolboys or australian U20 players might have been a better option though

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    potentially, i would have thought targetting one of the australian schoolboys or australian U20 players might have been a better option though
    True But they're there in the Brumbies academy... Andy Friend wants guys who can put in real game time on the field over the next 2 years... Andrew Smith can offer this... School boys take a few years to measure up usually...