Thread: LAME ROO-DOGS UNLIKELY TO CATCH AIRBORNE SEAGULLS

vCash

LAME ROO-DOGS UNLIKELY TO CATCH AIRBORNE SEAGULLS

Important finals questions may go unanswered when Wanneroo travel to Harvey Field on Saturday to meet Cottesloe in the WA club rugby competition match of the round, sponsored by KWIK Crane and Transport Hire.

The issue for the top four is no longer who will be in the finals starting on 5 September at Lark Hill, but who will be in the major semi-final with its invaluable preliminary final lifeline.

Despite last Saturday’s 32-22 loss to Nedlands, a game that was a lot closer than the score suggests, Cottesloe appear to be on course for that honour. After a slow start, the Seagulls steadily climbed up the rankings into the top four and have been playing controlled, no-nonsense rugby based on a forward pack that dominates set pieces, a back line that is consistent more than creative, and the deadly boot of flyhalf Dave Cloete.

The Seagulls, like Palmyra and Wanneroo, have eleven wins and four losses to their credit and while last Saturday’s loss dropped them to third place, they remain just two points behind second-placed Wanneroo and five points adrift of competition leaders Palmyra.

Nedlands fill out the top four one point behind Cottesloe and Associates remain a chance at fifth, seven points in arrears of Neddies, despite their poor late-season form. However, the Royal Blues and the Seagulls both meet lower-table teams in the approaches to the finals while Soaks must face Wanneroo and Perth-Bayswater.

Perth-Bayswater, a distant sixth and 12 points behind Soaks, are out of contention but despite an erratic season the men in black are still capable of threatening higher ranked teams and love nothing more than knocking off pretenders to the crown.

Two of those, Palmyra and Wanneroo, were the form teams for most of the competition and while both are certainties for the finals, both also appear to be suffering engine trouble coming into the home stretch.

Palmyra’s recent record of a close loss to Rockingham, a big loss to Cottesloe and a mediocre win over Associates does not inspire confidence as the business end of the season approaches. Although this week’s game against Wests-Subiaco should be a given, Paly must then face a Perth-Bayswater team with nothing to lose.

Wanneroo’s task is even more difficult. After meeting the Seagulls this week, the Roo-dogs must go on to play Associates.

Then Palmyra and Wanneroo play each other in the final round, which means that one of them must drop a vital game before the major semi-final lineup is decided.

All of which makes a win in this Saturday’s game of critical importance for both Cottesloe and Wanneroo, and the Roo-dogs will be hoping that history doesn’t repeat. Cottesloe thrashed them 41-5 on their home turf in round eight and with a string on injuries, the Roo-dogs will need to put behind them their recent big loss to Nedlands and half-hearted win over wooden spooners Wests-Subiaco, and dig deep.

While his outlook for the finals is positive, Wanneroo coach Elwee Prinsloo knows the Roo-dogs face an uphill battle on Saturday.

“We’ve got eight out injured,” Prinsloo said.

“We had a good training on Tuesday but I have to be honest, it’s going to take a miracle.

“Without the players we can’t do the job but at the end of the day, the boys are still going to give it a crack.”

“It’s part of premier grade rugby, we’re just in an unlucky position.”

However, Prinsloo expects most of his first string players to be available over the next few weeks for important games against Associates and Palmyra, with the prospect of taking a full squad into the finals.

“We want to back up from last year,” Prinsloo said.

“We made the grand final last year and the boys are determined to give it everything and be there again this year.

"And once you're in the finals, it's a very different game."

Prinsloo denies his team have become complacent with the top four already decided and are simply keeping their powder dry until the finals.

“No, no, the boys are very keen,” he said.

“We’ve been hampered with a string of injuries and there’s not much you can do about that.”

Despite the limitations placed on his team, Prinsloo is determined to give Cottesloe a run for their money.

“Cottesloe are a very well balanced team,” he said.

“They have probably the strongest scrum in the competition and they play a very composed style of rugby.

“All we can do is try and attack them through the 9/10 channel and disrupt their game.

“But with a player like [Dave] Cloete, he’s a dangerous player both with the hands and the boot.”

In other games, an in-form Nedlands will be seeking their ninth consecutive win when they play Rockingham at Sir Charles Court Reserve, fifth-placed Associates will be hoping to keep their slim finals hopes alive when they meet ailing premiers Kalamunda at Allen Park, Perth Bayswater will be seeking revenge for their round seven upset loss when they host University at Pat O'Hara Reserve, and a young Wests-Subiaco team striking their best form of the season will be hoping to pull off the upset of the year when they welcome Palmyra to Rosalie Park.

http://rugbywa.com.au/news/article,56182.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Damn, if he says so we're going to lose again.

vCash
    I had to leave the club early but baysies lookd good
    Seconds was leading at half time and the Prems looked like a committed squad but time will tell

vCash
    didn't the Roodogs finish 4th on the ladder last year ?

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Kala 1sts won 29-10..dodgy ref for that game
    Soaks 2nds won but I can't remember the score. Kalafan/Action Hardcore is one of you the Hooker for 2nds?
    Kala 3rds won, not sure of the score but 1 player was stretchered off - looked like a broken leg. Apparently now they're in the top 4 for the first time all season.

Both 1st grade teams have fantastic fullbacks!! Tom Hockings played for Soaks, probably not his best game though. Does anyone know if Soaks 11 was the captain?

Last edited by laura; 11-08-09 at 15:04. Reason: spelling

vCash
    That would be Action, I play 15

vCash
    Haha na thats kalafan i missed the game got carried away latwalking down the beach.

when they keep glancing over at me i know they think iam cute and are checking me out -Kalafan 10/3/10

i have difficulty in my life. alot of girls like me but i cannot ask them out. i think they like me cause i am good looking and have a nice smile.- kalafan 3/7/10

FREE LINDSAY

Born TROLLIN

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    Kala 1sts won 29-10..dodgy ref for that game
    Soaks 2nds won but I can't remember the score. Kalafan/Action Hardcore is one of you the Hooker for 2nds?
    Kala 3rds won, not sure of the score but 1 player was stretchered off - looked like a broken leg. Apprently now they're in the top 4 for the first time all season.

Both 1st grade teams have fantastic fullbacks!! Tom Hockings played for Soaks, probably not his best game though. Does anyone know if Soaks 11 was the captain?
    Soaks' #7 was their captain.

Kala's #15 is one of those rare people in WA who is related to someone who has actually trialled for the All Blacks, and even played for them, so I'm told. (most here in WA say they've trialled for the ABs)

Stretchered player had a dislocated knee. Apparently.

Last edited by Ecky; 12-08-09 at 08:38. Reason: Finished the fishing expedition

vCash
    What you talkin about steve buscemi? 15 for which grade?

when they keep glancing over at me i know they think iam cute and are checking me out -Kalafan 10/3/10

i have difficulty in my life. alot of girls like me but i cannot ask them out. i think they like me cause i am good looking and have a nice smile.- kalafan 3/7/10

FREE LINDSAY

Born TROLLIN

vCash
    What a coincidence - it's in my classic archive DVD footage too!