By Bret Harris
August 04, 2009 Rockey Elsom's bid to be ready for the All Blacks Test in Sydney in three weeks has been hit by untimely scheduling in the Sydney club rugby draw.
Blindside flanker Elsom has not played since appearing for the Barbarians against England at Twickenham at the end of May because of bruising on his kneebone.

The Wallabies have missed Elsom's physicality at the breakdown and Wallabies coach Robbie Deans is certain to bring him into the Test squad as soon as possible.
Elsom will be assessed by the Wallabies' medical staff when the team returns from South Africa next week to determine when he will be fit to play.

But Randwick has a bye on Saturday week, which means Elsom would have to go into the All Blacks Test cold, which may not sit well with Deans.
Elsom has recently resumed running and his general fitness level is reasonably good, but it is impossible to replicate match conditioning.

"I don't know when I'll be back," Elsom said. "Hopefully, I'll be back for New Zealand.
"It would be very worrying if I wasn't. I would have missed half the Tri-Nations.
"My fitness is pretty good, but I need to do some more running to get up to speed.
"I have to make sure I can handle the load and then build the kilometres."

Whether Deans decides to recall Elsom for the All Blacks Test could depend on how things go against the Springboks in Cape Town this weekend.
Elsom was impressed with the Springboks in their 31-19 win against the All Blacks in Durban last Sunday, but the Wallabies provide a different challenge.

"New Zealand look a little stale," Elsom said. "They were outplayed by a team in form.
"The (British and Irish) Lions series was really good for the Springboks. It has really sharpened them up."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...016959,00.html