Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A testing time for Mortlock captaincy

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

A testing time for Mortlock captaincy

Greg Growden Chief Rugby Correspondent | August 3, 2009

WALLABIES captain Stirling Mortlock will undergo a serious test of his leadership skills this week when he plays a major role in the team’s preparation for the might of the Springboks in Cape Town on Saturday.
    Mortlock, in tandem with Wallabies assistant coaches Jim Williams and Richard Graham, will be in charge of the team’s schedule for the main training sessions this week, following the news that head coach Robbie Deans will not arrive in Cape Town until Wednesday night.
    Deans is in Christchurch for the funeral tomorrow of his father, Tony, who died on Friday night, aged 83.
    In Deans’s absence, Mortlock will be involved in the running of the two main Australian training sessions this week – the first to be held tonight [Sydney time] in Cape Town, before another practice tomorrow.
    After the team’s capitulation against the All Blacks in Auckland last month, it is time for real leadership within the Wallabies’ senior group, and team officials will take close note of how Mortlock fares in rallying the troops this week.
    Mortlock said last night from Cape Town that Deans’s late arrival would not affect Test week preparations.
    ‘‘We are lucky that we have had a number of weeks to prepare for this Test,’’ Mortlock said. ‘‘The senior players and coaching staff have met over what our intentions will be this week. From my end and the other senior players, it is about making sure we are really tight with the coaching staff and very clear with the entire group what we’re trying to do and what we’re focused on.’’
    Williams said he and Graham would liaise with Deans by telephone until his arrival. The announcement of the Test team will not be made until after Deans rejoins the Wallabies.
    ‘‘The players and management are well versed about our routine, and there won’t be any deviation from what we usually do in a Test week,’’ Williams said. ‘‘Following the Springboks’ win over New Zealand [in Durban], we are going to look at some aspects and make certain we finetune our game plan.’’
    The Wallabies watched the second Springboks-All Blacks Test in their Cape Town hotel, and were struck by the physicality of the home team. They also took note of the Springboks’ tactic of kicking to keep the All Blacks in their own quarter, while Morne Steyn’s precise penalty goal kicking stressed the importance of team discipline.

‘‘It was a very solid, almost complete performance by the Springboks,’’ Mortlock said. ‘‘The set piece was excellent. Their restarts plus the ability to contest possession was outstanding, while Morne Steyn had a great game steering their team around.
    ‘‘It just reinforces the challenge ahead of us. The Springboks are the world champions, and we are playing them on their home turf, but we’re looking forward to that immensely.’’
    Staying on the right side of next week’s referee, Ireland’s Alain Rolland, is paramount.
    ‘‘The Auckland game was a good learning experience for us in how important discipline is,’’ Mortlock said. ‘‘It’s a big piece of the puzzle as far as your ability to maintain pressure on the opposition. Watching the Springbok game confirmed it was a massive factor in Test football. For us, it has been a focus since the Auckland loss, and the Durban Test reinforced it.’’
    Williams pushed a similar line. ‘‘The Springboks certainly exert a good pressure game, while their kicking was excellent. So we have to be right up with their discipline,’’ he said.
    ‘‘When the All Blacks ran it [the ball] against them, it was probably not the ideal time. A couple of times there they should have forced the ball and went back to 22 metre restarts. They certainly didn’t handle that pressure well, and the Boks capitalised on it.’’

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...e#contentSwap1

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Is Chief SMH Rugby correspondent Grumbles looking for an easy story to have a cheap shot at Stirling Mortlock next week? A Lazy rugby story....

......he'll be howling for a new Captain...

vCash
    Cheap Shot??

Last edited by jargan83; 03-08-09 at 15:46.

vCash
    He and others will be howling for a new coach depending on the outcome of the tri nations/bledisloe as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    He and others will be howling for a new coach depending on the outcome of the tri nations/bledisloe as well.
    Hardly given the Aussie Rob has been signed up until the World Cup. How many Welshmen were calling for Gatland's head when you didn't win the 6N this year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Hardly given the Aussie Rob has been signed up until the World Cup. How many Welshmen were calling for Gatland's head when you didn't win the 6N this year?
    Yeah we'll wait and see until after the tri nations/bledisloe. Wait till you lose the ashes and see whose heads roll then as well.

Most were calling for Hensons head, he cost us the 6N. Selfish glory hog.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Every year everyone always talks down Australia's chances in the tri-nations. And every year the first game between Australia and the Boks is supposed to end in Australia's obliteration but it never actually happens like that. Admittedly this year is a bit different with the return to the old laws playing right into the Boks feet (the ones they kick goals with). Regardless of how this game goes for Australia the result will be good. Either a) We win and woohoo. b) We lose in a close game and get a much needed bonus point or c) We lose terribly badly and the wake-up call ensures that it won't happen again especially when we get around to the Aussie home games.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    a) The blackness are crap and as history will show they'll go away for two weeks and come back showing how to play the game.

b) The Boks look scarily good and that's a worry for you wallaby supporters.

c) The Wallabies, well we'll see.....

vCash
    Wait till you lose the ashes and see whose heads roll then as well.
    Still 2 Tests to play, then we can talk

vCash
    Still 2 Tests to play, then we can talk
    Nah mate I hope just for you they win, I have no ties with cricket and I know how much it means to you as a sport.

Maybe if it was called as it should be the E and W CB it might spark WRF's interest but I still doubt it.

Can honestly say I have never watched a game of cricket yet.

vCash
    Maybe if it was called as it should be the E and W CB it might spark WRF's interest but I still doubt it.
    It is the England and Wales Cricket Board, has been for a number of years now

In fact one of the "Heroes" of Englands 2005 victorious Ashes campaign was Simon Jones

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Jones_(cricketer)

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Nah mate I hope just for you they win, I have no ties with cricket and I know how much it means to you as a sport.

Can honestly say I have never watched a game of cricket yet.
    With shit-stirring like that we might have to start calling you 'the Welsh Mudskipper'

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    It is the England and Wales Cricket Board, has been for a number of years now

In fact one of the "Heroes" of Englands 2005 victorious Ashes campaign was Simon Jones

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Jones_(cricketer)
    Yeah I know but it is still called the ECB even though the title is the England and Wales Cricket Board.

What is the team called again......

---------- Post added at 14:05 ---------- Previous post was at 14:04 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    With shit-stirring like that we might have to start calling you 'the Welsh Mudskipper'
    Please I don't need insults

Last edited by welshrugbyfan; 04-08-09 at 14:11.

vCash
    What is the team called again.....
    "That bunch of Soap Dodgers"

vCash
    "That bunch of Soap Dodgers"
    It's like when Wales win a gold medal at the olympics (I'm sure someone has) their British. Get done for steroids.. "The Welsh athlete"...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast