Thread: FORMER BRUMBY WANTS TO MAKE IMPACT WITH FORCE

vCash

FORMER BRUMBY WANTS TO MAKE IMPACT WITH FORCE

Friday, 31 July 2009 6:07pm
    Chris Pike - Sportal

Mark Bartholomeusz in his Saracens daysMark Bartholomeusz is delighted to return to Super rugby via the Emirates Western Force and wants to make an impact to help the relatively young squad be successful in the 2010 Investec Super 14 season.

Bartholomeusz played 68 Super rugby games with the Brumbies and one Test for the Wallabies against Italy in 2002, before plying his trade overseas in England, Ireland and Italy.

Returning to Australia to finish his career wasn’t always a plan for the 32-year-old utility back, but once the Force called he was instantly interested and is delighted that the deal was made.

"I just think it's a wonderful opportunity for me to come back to Australia and play Super rugby again. I'm very grateful to the Western Force for giving me this opportunity and am excited about playing with some great young players, and being part of the rugby community in Perth," Bartholomeusz said at RugbyWA HQ on Friday.

"I can't say it was always a plan, but when I got the opportunity presented in front of me I thought it was too good to pass up. To be part of Australian rugby again wasn’t something I was sure I'd have the opportunity to do, but I have now with the Western Force and it was an easy decision to make."

Bartholomeusz wasn’t actively seeking a change to return to Australia, but the way the Force presented to him made it impossible to say no.

"I only dealt with the Force and was very impressed with how professional and thorough they were," he said.

"I didn’t look at going anywhere else, just started talking to the Western Force and made my decision from there. Since I left Australia, rugby has changed a lot with the Force coming in and next year another team from Australia as well.

"Five years ago I would have never thought I'd come to Perth, but I'm very happy with the decision and haven’t heard a bad word about the place, that's for sure."

Earning a spot in the team and getting stuck into pre-season training with the squad are the focuses for Bartholomeusz now, and he's dedicated to helping the Force get better.

"I'm not looking forward any further than the first day of pre-season training at the moment. I'm just keen to get here, set up in Perth and get underway. The Western Force is my one and only focus," he said.

"Hopefully I can push for selection in the team, but also help some of the younger guys with the team having lost a bit of experience. Hopefully I can add that element to the Western Force as well."

Throughout his Australian and overseas career Bartholomeusz has shown the ability to play well at fullback, flyhalf, inside centre and on the wings, but he feels at this stage of his career No. 10, or possibly 12 is where he is best suited.

That will see him form a dangerous and talented combination with James O'Connor, Andre Pretorius and Sam Harris next season.

"I probably prefer No. 10 at this stage of my career to play in those ball playing and decision-making positions, but we'll have to wait and see how it pans out," he said.

"I probably think I will fill various roles, but as always it will be dependent on form and opportunity, so hopefully I get a chance early and make the most of it.

"There are some great players that have left obviously, but I'm just excited to be here and there's a great squad building. From everything I've heard the community in Perth is right behind the Western Force and it will be great to be part of a successful team next season."

Since Bartholomeusz left the Brumbies following the 2004 Super 12 title win over the Crusaders, two more teams have come in, the ELVs have been adopted and as far as he can tell the game has become even quicker, and more expansive.

"It'll be interesting to see the whole program, how it works and how far the standard of play has progressed since I've been overseas. I've watched a fair bit of Super rugby while away and certainly last year with the new laws it was exceptionally fast, and a full on 80 minutes," he said.

"Even though the laws have been brought back a bit, I've got no doubt it will still be a fast and furious game, and exciting as it always has been."

Having played in the English Premiership for Saracens (2004/05 and 05/06), Irish Magners League club Ulster (2006/07 and 07/08) and most recently for Petrarca Padova in the Italian Super 10 Championship, he isn’t sure what is the best club competition in the world, but knows he enjoys Super rugby the best and is delighted to be back in it.

"The game is different now and in the northern hemisphere it offers different things, and different strengths. The Heineken Cup is a good and tough competition as is the Super 14," he said.

"It's a bit difficult to say one is better than the other because they offer different things, but from my point of view I've enjoyed playing Super rugby more just because of the level of ball movement and attacking philosophy."

More...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 31-07-09 at 16:41.