Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: We are going to get a new rectangular stadium - allegedly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackswan View Post
    Let's get a little bit realistic here

All that has been said is that in 12 months time someone will make decision after a 12 month study. When's the next state election ?????????
    No, they have officially announced that they will build it. Not make a decision in 12 months about whether to build. They said they will negotiate with Allia and consult stakeholders over the next 12 months about a firm proposal. I know pollies are good at gobbledygook and double speak. But this is the first time anyone has stated an intention to build.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    It's happy news indeed And a long bloody time coming. But I will be MUCH happier when the plans are actually approved, the money is actually coughed up, and the first sod is actually turned.

(It's a bit like the O'Connor thing - it ain't over until the ink is dry!)

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    basically in 12 months the drawings will be at least issued for tender. best case scenario the contracts will be awarded and the construction drawings will be issued as well

i wonder if len buckridge's offer is still valid?

Rookie
    vCash
    At last we have a decision.
    this story also details what's going to happen with the temporary work in the meantime.

Nick Taylor

July 25, 2009 09:40am
    THE State Government has committed to rebuild Members Equity Stadium as a rectangular dedicated rugby-soccer venue in a staged $160 million revamp.

But work will not start for at least another year while detailed plans are drawn up and negotiations are held with the Town of Vincent over the level of control the government will have.

The first step in the project that will take at least two years to complete will be to demolish the scaffold stand on the eastern side of the ground and replace it with a new state-of-the-art facility.

Change rooms and player facilities will be built into the new eastern stand with a large drive through undercroft for team buses.

The second stage will be to replace the current grandstand with the goal ends linked under one roof in the final stage.

Most of the construction work will take place out of the Super 14 season.

The government has based its plan on Skilled Park on the Gold Coast that opened in March last year and holds 27,400 spectators, has 100 open corporate boxes, 25 closed corporate suites and two 450 seat function rooms.

Short-term $2m facelift

Meanwhile the stadium will get a more immediate $2 million facelift as the home of the Western Force.

The Force will play its Super 14 games at MES from next season after leaving Subiaco Oval where crowds have fallen drastically because of appalling viewing conditions.

The club secured the $2 million, interest free loan from the State Government this week for upgraded lighting, more corporate facilities and extra general seating.

It will lift stadium capacity from 18,156 to more than 20,500. Force membership, including corporates and season ticket holders was 17,000 last season.

Upgraded lighting, particularly in the north west and south west corners on the grandstand side, is expected to cost between $300,000-$800,000.

The lighting is needed for the ``super slo-mo'' cameras used by video referees adjudicating on contentious tries.

It is not yet known what is needed but work will start next month when S14 broadcaster Fox Sports is in Perth for the Wallabies Test against South Africa at Subiaco Oval.

The stadium currently has 12 large suites catering for 240 people and seats another 240 in small open boxes.

The Force will build temporary suites at the northern end, either side of ``The Shed'' to cater for a further 180 corporate patrons.

A corporate marquee for match day functions will hold another 500 who will have seats in the eastern stand.

The final part of the make-over will be an extra 900 seats in the south east and north west corners.
    The main grandstand will hold only corporate members and ``The Shed'' will remain a standing only terrace stand.

The Force has said in the past that it believes the State Government should honour a $25 million pledge to help upgrade the stadium.

The former Labor government promised the money when the Perth bid for the Super 14 side was being prepared.

A $30,000 upgrade of some player facilities was carried out by the Town of Vincent for the Glory games with Wolverhampton Wanderers and Fulham.

The council estimates the stadium could be upgraded for $60-$70 million.

vCash
    you little beauty just got home from watching glory play in bunbury this arvo then playing rugby and read this just bloody outstanding tops of a great day all round!!!

"The only trophy we won this day, was the blood and sweat we left on the pitch.... and it was enough"

"Rugby may have many problems, but the gravest is undoubtedly that of the persistence of summer."
    Chris Laidlaw, New Zealand rugby player and sportswriter. Mud in Your Eye: A Worm's Eye View of the Changing World of Rugby (I 973).

Rookie
    vCash
    Great news but the 27,000 worries me - why give away that home ground advantage for whatever code that makes finals (yes i'm positive one will!!) why not make it 35,000 - 40,000 so the Wallabies could also use it. They have several stadium in QLD and when you consider we don't have one retangular stadium of international callibre is 27,000 really enough and allowing for the future. Personally I don't think so. finally the number of enclosed corporate boxes doesn't seem that large. But Lets bring it on and make it happen ......yesterday would be good but tomorrow will do

vCash
    i think that the plans drawn up will allow for the gradual re-modelling and extension of capacity. at the end of the day, the powers that be must realise that 27,000 wont solve all their problems for the next 20 years(i really hope i'm not giving them too much credit here). i would really like to believe that this is only the start of the MES re-development, and that eventually when the numbers warrant it. the stadium will be developed further.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Perth Oval revamp gets council's support

Posted July 26, 2009 11:27:00
    Updated July 26, 2009 11:52:00

Map: Perth 6000

The plan to develop a rectangular stadium at Perth Oval is getting wholehearted support from the Town of Vincent.

The Mayor Nick Catania says the council's original proposal was to add one grandstand and more corporate facilities.

But the State Government has gone much further and committed to building a rectangular stadium to cater for rugby and soccer.

Mr Catania says he is hoping it will be built by the end of 2012.

He says it will require at least a year of planning.

"The Town of Vincent certainly has a lot of work to do to address the parking issue, to address how we ensure that the people who live in, and around, the stadium, will not be adversely affected." he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...26/2636548.htm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    No, they have officially announced that they will build it. Not make a decision in 12 months about whether to build. They said they will negotiate with Allia and consult stakeholders over the next 12 months about a firm proposal. I know pollies are good at gobbledygook and double speak. But this is the first time anyone has stated an intention to build.
    I very much hope the optimism is justified.

However if you cast your mind back a year, the previous government had committed to building a "multi-purpose" AFL oval. It was the change of government at the state election that put that 'commitment' on hold with the question "not be revisited until 2012" - the year of the next programmed state election. Whilst I don't doubt Barnett's intent, the current state government holding on to power hinges on its arrangement with the minority parties. Hence it is a somewhat fragile position. Without getting into a political debate, if the next election is in 2012 and the government sticks to it's stated timeline then it is a happy result. However I suggest we keep the champagne on ice until the work has not only started but reached a stage where there is no point in stopping further phases of the proposed development.

The second point to which I referred was the 'negotiation' with the ToV, particularly its mayor. I wouldn't underestimate how difficult that could get and I suggest one primary reason for the 12 month timeframe is related to that particular issue. Twelve months otherwise sounds like a realistic timeframe for drawing up plans for a look-alike stadium, tendering and awarding contracts and for the associated approvals processes provided the state government and ToV are interested in fast tracking the development.

What are the odds on a nimby backlash from the local residents ?

vCash
    the people who live around the area wont be adversly affected. as they will charge $10 a game for people to park on their front lawns. they make $50 per game. everyone is happy

problem solverd Mr Catania. now you can start building.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackswan View Post
    I very much hope the optimism is justified.

. Twelve months otherwise sounds like a realistic timeframe for drawing up plans for a look-alike stadium, tendering and awarding contracts and for the associated approvals processes provided the state government and ToV are interested in fast tracking the development.

What are the odds on a nimby backlash from the local residents ?
    I agree with your caution to some extent. It's not completely over the line. But I'm at least optomistic now that the announcement has come that they intend to build.

I wonder if those pictures od EPL stars standing in a wheeli bin full of ice had a small galvanising effect. What an embarrassment for WA.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    The area needs a bit more nightlife to cater for the fans before and after games, eating places, winebars etc.

Player
    vCash
    If they are basing it roughly off Skilled Park then that fanastic. Skilled is a fanastic stadium. Very imtimate providing great atmosphere. But I agree it needs to be able to accomodate greater numbers for Test matches. If the could add say 13,000 extra seats to 40,000. Then that would be ideal. 27,000 a good number for Force games.

vCash
    27,000 with the ability to expand (if they don't consider expansion the designers should be shot!) would be fine for Force/Glory games, and may be OK for minor internationals.

For Tri-Nations matches you'd probably need some temporary seating, but even that would be OK if: a) the seating was planned for and not obviously temporary, b) the crowd is close to the pitch and intimidating, and c) half the crowd isn't made up of jarpies or ABs - which seems to be the case for the Subi tests!

vCash
    They best just get the MES up to speed for 2010 its not that far away... If genuine renovations are required...

27,000 packed in the MES will have a great atmosphere... I'm looking forward with grand expectations to the first match already...

I hope they start a new trophy Force vs Brumbies... What could we call it?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast