Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: We are going to get a new rectangular stadium - allegedly.

vCash
    Also on PerthNow, with place for comments.

Most seem to be agreeing with the move, only concern being the proposed size (calling for 40k).

The fun ones though:

What about Fremantle Dockers!! When do they get a home to call their own! We have an elite football team being treated like the homeless....... No HOME....Big ANCHOR to carry around.... and NO SUPPORT... Gee wonder why they struggle so much

160 mill on ground for minor sports waste of money should build a new multi purpose oval at subi always the minorty get ther way

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    Another stupid question - Will 27,000 be enough for a successful Soccer World Cup bid? perhaps there is some Scottish blood lurking in my veins but the idea of other codes actually paying for my seat in a rectangular stadium is ticking a lot of boxes for me.
    Temporary seating perhaps?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    If they're serious, the plan they dream up would have to be able to hold a temporary expansion to 40,000 for pool games of the world cup.
    Of course, I'm assuming the people in charge aren't morons, which might be proof positive that I am one myself.

vCash
    Are you saying that I won't be in charge, ever?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I guess the difference is in the semantics. If they patch up the existing stadium, that implies the continuation of the lease. If they progressively rebuild the stadium, that implies a new stadium at the end of the process and some form of end to the lease.

It's still crown land as I understand so surely they would be within their rights to not renew the lease, anybody know when the next renewal date for Allia is?....there'd even be an argument for paying Allia out of the remainder of the contract. Not knowing the numbers, I'm really just thinking out loud!
    Reading over some old stuff, Allia have a 15-year contract on running the venue (I understand TOV own it) including all the contracts for food, drinks etc. I would guess that might have been signed when the last redevelopment took place, but that's jsut a guess.

Some of the quotes fom Waldron sound like his concern is management/operational rights rather than outright ownership. Could be there's a difference in a patch-up job would be the government giving money to MES/allia to fix it, whereas the rebuild would be a govenment project. Could just be a poorly worded quote too.

---------- Post added at 14:08 ---------- Previous post was at 14:06 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by oxleymoron View Post
    Are you saying that I won't be in charge, ever?
    Try NSW

Last edited by Swee_82; 26-07-09 at 09:19.

vCash
    My understanding is that this rebuild/upgrade is to provide a permanent home for rugby/soccer/rugby league. It has nothing to do with a possible Soccer World Cup bid for 9/13 years time (and quite rightly so, IMHO). There is no guarantee that Australia will even get the hosting gig and even if they do, the most that Perth could hope for would be a handful of games by hosting one of the groups - not really the basis for building a multi-million $$$ construction strategy on!

As with any rugby test matches that Perth get in the future, I'm sure that Subi will be the default ground for hosting soccer world cup matches (can't wait to see it less than half-full as everyone stays home to watch it on the TV!!!).

Finally we see some direction and leadership and common sense with regard to the phased rebuilding of MES (new name should be TWF Stadium) and welcome to "Fortress Force"!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    While there is nothing in the news paper articles, and that is a shame. I would like to congratulate the WeNeedCorners Crew. Those guys and gals that spent a lot of last years seaon collecting and then collating signatures for the petition and then conducting meetings.

Well done and thank you - it looks like we are getting what we wanted.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    I'd better get my hopes up!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    As with any rugby test matches that Perth get in the future, I'm sure that Subi will be the default ground for hosting soccer world cup matches (can't wait to see it less than half-full as everyone stays home to watch it on the TV!!!).
    Unlikely as FFA has stated several times that Subi will not be used as a World Cup venue, and if Subi was used as a World Cup venue, it would still out. There is a reason the FIFA World Cup is the biggest event in the world

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Unlikely as FFA has stated several times that Subi will not be used as a World Cup venue, and if Subi was used as a World Cup venue, it would still out. There is a reason the FIFA World Cup is the biggest event in the world
    I don't know when FIFA will announce the host countries but it would be a good guess that the Government will not firm up any plans for Subi before that. Get the rectangular stadium up and running then do a phased re-build at Subi. Add realistic reconfiguration for WC/Test matches similar to Docklands rather than the sham put up by Carpenter and Langulant. Fong must be choking on his chardonnay.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I just said that.

Not posted via mobile device.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Bit early to be struggling with the mobile device isnt it??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    Bit early to be struggling with the mobile device isnt it??
    Too many stairs this morning
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Let's get a little bit realistic here

All that has been said is that in 12 months time someone will make decision after a 12 month study. When's the next state election ?????????

And ....... we seem to have missed the fundamental point -

And Mr Waldron flagged a potentially fiery negotiation with current rights holder Allia - saying if the government was going to pay for the new facility, it would also want to run it.

ToV "owns" the ground and the mayor of ToV owns the company that runs all of the events held at the venue. ok this is WA but hellooooo

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Its crown land, is it not? So ToV doesn't really 'own' it. It is the right royal property of Errrr Royal Ighness.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast