Greg Growden | July 24, 2009

IT'S been a dreadful week for the Waratahs, with Timana Tahu the latest defector and now a strong western Sydney bid to become the fifth Australian franchise in an expanded Super 15 competition threatening their market. When officials involved with the western Sydney bid stated their case this week, it was clear they were unimpressed with the lack of support rugby receives in the outlying suburbs. Former Wallaby Brett Papworth, one of the key men behind the bid, explained: "I'm not sure western Sydney see the Waratahs as their team. The population here in the west don't necessarily duck out to the Sydney Football Stadium on a Friday night to support the Waratahs. I think it is seen as an eastern suburbs, north shore, private school-type set-up. I know for a fact Waratahs members are furious about them playing games at ANZ Stadium, so that gives you an idea of where they come from." Western Sydney is among seven bidders for the 15th team. Already high-profile coaching names have been connected to the three Victorian bids. Both Michael Cheika and Ewen McKenzie have been mentioned, while even former Wallabies coach John Connolly has been connected to the Victorian Rugby Union bid.

Double standards?
While there was outright hysteria when Sonny Bill Williams decided to break his contract to head to rugby union, the same stirrers have been mute over Tahu wanting to break his contract to head to rugby league. And maybe the Waratahs are hoping Tahu has a change of mind. On the NSWRU website yesterday in pride of place were two photographs of Tahu, one promoting their merchandise, the other promoting club football. The Waratahs are also set to miss out on several promising young players, as all that is being promised is an academy spot, with the excuse being that they "don't know what we can afford to pay you yet".

Family double
Matt Giteau is not the only rugby identity in their family, with his elder sister Kristy making the Wallaroos squad for the 2010 World Cup qualifier against Samoa next month. It is also pleasing one Australian team enjoyed recent international success, winning the final of the Maccabiah Games tournament in Israel by beating Great Britain 19-16. And for the first time in 50years, Randwick will not be wearing the famous myrtle-green jersey when they play Gordon at Coogee Oval tomorrow. They will instead be in amber yellow, to support the Call to Arms campaign, run by the Cancer Council of Australia.

Priceless prose

The latest Rugby Union Players' Association newsletter has listed some of the best recent quick quips. They include former All Black Johnno Gibbs: "Nobody in rugby should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." David Nucifora talking about Troy Flavell: "I told him, 'Son, what is it with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?' He said: 'David, I don't know and I don't care."' Ewen McKenzie: "I never comment on referees, and I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat." Rodney So'oialo: "I'm going to graduate on time, no matter how long it takes."

Bob's yarn
A good story by the legendary Bob Wilson in the Sydney club program a few weeks ago deserves repeating. He wrote about a leading player who had written on his wrist the words: "RUN HARD". The match was a debacle and his team were getting thrashed, prompting the coach to give them a half-time dressing down. The coach then saw what the player had written on his wrist and told him: "You'd better add ER on the end of that."

Rumours of the week
ISomeone looking suspiciously like former Wallabies second-rower John Langford was running around in Sydney Uni's fourth grade team last week.

IOne of the great men of Australian sports journalism, Phil Wilkins, remained ever the professional when celebrating a birthday last weekend. During a lavish dinner, he kept one eye on the Bledisloe Cup match, taking the penalty, lineout and scrum stats.

IOur snouts tell us the only reason the Stephen Moore-Ben Alexander training stoush on Wednesday did not turn into an all-in brawl was due to Al "The Fuse" Baxter stepping in. "We saw him barge his way through and we all fled, scared of getting the killer blow from The Fuse," a senior Wallabies forward told R&M.

IThe relationship between Waratahs and head office has sunk so low one NSW official is known as "Swine Flu" - to be avoided at all times. And which NSW heavy-hitter, who got stuck into the rum and cokes at a recent game, was sighted behind the wheel, weaving his way out of the car park?

RUCK & MAUL
QUOTE OF THE WEEK
'Eden Park ... it's full of ghosts.'
Former Wallabies coach DAVID BROCKHOFF

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/g...e#contentSwap1