Thread: Another Mungo off to Rugby

vCash

Another Mungo off to Rugby

CRAIG Wing has quit the NRL to play rugby union in Japan.

Exclusive by Dean Ritchie

The South Sydney star has had money disputes with the Rabbitohs over third party agreements.

There were also suggestions Wing was sounded by the Sydney Roosters - his former club - and Parramatta.

But Wing has decided to leave rugby league for Japanese rugby union - with Souths agreeing to release him from the final two years of his contract.

He will see out the rest of this season with the Rabbitohs.

Rabbitohs chief executive Shane Richardson said the club's board had agreed to the request on compassionate grounds.

"Craig's personal issues have been well documented over recent months,'' Richardson said, referring to Wing's reported recent financial troubles.

"The contract with Japanese Rugby will go a long way to helping his personal situation and we respect that and wish him well in his further football career.

"It has always been our desire to have Craig see out his contract with our club but after careful consideration over the past fortnight, the board and management of the club understand that it was in Craig's best interests that he be granted a release.

"We certainly wish Craig all the very best in his transition to rugby union in Japan from 2010.''

Wing will leave the NRL having played more than 250 NRL games, 13 Tests for Australia and 12 State of Origin games for NSW, including two in the Blues' series loss this year.

"I have thoroughly enjoyed my time back at the Rabbitohs and I am sad to be leaving both South Sydney and the NRL,'' Wing said today.

"I truly appreciate the club granting me this special release and I want to thank Souths for agreeing to my request so that I can move on with my personal life off the field.

"The members, sponsors, coaches, my team mates and the board have all been very supportive over the past two years and I thank them for that.

"I started my NRL career here in the red and green and it is fitting that I finish it in this great jersey.

"I am looking forward to finishing the season off strongly and I will be doing my best to ensure we make the finals.''

Cronulla's Fraser Anderson quit the NRL earlier this year to sign with Japanese rugby union

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225752696678

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Craig Wing released by South Sydney to clear debt

Stuart Honeysett and Bret Harris | July 22, 2009
    Article from: The Australian

CRAIG Wing has become the latest player to switch codes as the South Sydney utility looks to dig himself out of a reported $1 million debt.

The Rabbitohs issued a press release yesterday saying Wing had been granted a compassionate release from the final two years of his contract to accept a reported $1.5m, two-year offer to play rugby union in Japan.

Wing will complete the season with South Sydney, including any appearances in the finals, before linking with rugby team NTT Communications to play in the Japanese competition starting in September.

He was unavailable for comment when contacted by The Australian yesterday but issued a statement through the club, saying he was sad to be moving on.

A South Sydney junior, Wing also played for the Australian Schoolboys rugby union team.

Wing started his first-grade career with the Rabbitohs, moved to arch rivals Sydney Roosters before returning to Redfern amid much fanfare under new owners Russell Crowe and Peter Holmes a Court.

"I have thoroughly enjoyed my time back at the Rabbitohs and I am sad to be leaving both South Sydney and the NRL," Wing said.

"I truly appreciate the club granting me this special release and I want to thank Souths for agreeing to my request so that I can move on with my personal life off the field.

"The members, sponsors, coaches, my teammates and the board have all been very supportive over the past two years and I thank them for that.

"I started my NRL career here in the red and green and it is fitting that I finish it in this great jersey. I am looking forward to finishing the season off strongly and I will be doing my best to ensure we make the finals."

Although Wing is one of the game's top players with a strong earning capacity on and off the field, his dire financial situation has been well documented following several bad investments.

It is understood he will leave Australia at the end of the season $1m in debt after losing most of his money in a failed offshore investment.

He also lost a $100,000 third party agreement with McGrath Real Estate because he was unable to fulfil his obligations of working 38 hours a week for the company.

However, Wing's manager, Wayne Beavis, who was recently hired by the South Sydney star amid speculation he was coming in to sort out his problems, denied his financial situation had been the impetus to switch codes.

"There was a combination of reasons and that might have been one of them but that certainly wasn't the driving force," Beavis said. "He feels very excited. It's a new challenge."

Wing's case was presented to the Rabbitohs board, 50 per cent of which is controlled by Crowe and Holme a Court. Under the terms of his release, he cannot play in the NRL again until his former deal with the Rabbitohs expires at the end of 2012.

"From our point of view there's personal reasons why he approached us for a release," South Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson said yesterday.

"We've considered it on compassionate grounds.

He presented a case to us why he needed it and we made the decision based on Craig's personal situation and we were happy to go along with it."

Wing will have a strong Australian connection at his new Japanese club, including former Australia and Brumbies outside back, Mark Gerrard.

NTT Communications' coaching staff includes Australians Shannon Fraser, Charlie Higgins and former Australia prop Ben Darwin, who are all managed by Ben Williams' Players Ink, which has established an office in Tokyo.

Wing's new teammates will also include former Springboks centre JP Nel and former All Blacks second-rower Bradley Mika.

Japanese teams are only allowed three foreign players on the field at the same time.

But because Wing is half Filipino he qualifies as a local Asian player, which enhanced his value.

A utility player in rugby league, Wing will play five-eighth and inside centre in rugby union.

Meanwhile, Wallabies and Queensland second-rower Hugh McMeniman is rumoured to be joining Japanese club Kubota Spears.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

vCash
    I reckon he'll do OK actually...

Craig Wing a natural fullback, dual international Michael O'Connor says

By Dean Ritchie
    July 22, 2009

Dual international Michael O'Connor has tipped Craig Wing to be a rugby union sensation in Japan - at fullback.

Wing's wonderful broken-field running would make him a "natural No.15", O'Connor said.

"It's not so structured over there and he should be given a free reign," the former Kangaroos and Wallabies star said.

"Fullback would be his best spot. He is such a great mover in space and such a great broken-field runner.

"He'd be a natural fullback, given his size. He isn't a real big bloke."

Wing will quit South Sydney at the conclusion of the 2009 NRL premiership, to cover investment losses that have ruined him financially.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23217,00.html

vCash
    Fullback. Yeah probably. He's one of the most versatile Mungos I've seen. Can play hooker, half back and anywhere outside that. O'Connor referred to his size but I wonder how relevant that will be in Japan, given that they are only allowed 2 imports on the field. He might make a good fist at 10 and be even better at 12. Perhaps 10 then 12 when he re-learns the patterns of play.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    "Because he is half Filipino he qualifies as a local asian player" I don't get that at all!

vCash
    Maybe Japan is like the All Blacks. Japan takes any good players from Asian nations in a similar way the All Blacks take anyone who qualifies from the Pacific Islands??

Last edited by jargan83; 03-08-09 at 09:50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthGirl View Post
    "Because he is half Filipino he qualifies as a local asian player" I don't get that at all!
    Not all that different to JO'C being qualified for Aus, NZ & SA or Fairbrother for the Wallabies. Just a little wider in definition.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Maybe Japan is like the All Blacks. Japan takes any good players from Asian nations in a similar way the All Blacks take anyone who qualifies from the Pacific Islands??
    No, they just take the kiwis that have been forced out by the Pacific Islanders

Wing's mother's Filipino so he'd qualify by ancestry - obviously he's never played for the Philippines but, as long as he doesn't play for Australia in the meantime, I guess he's technically eligible!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthGirl View Post
    There was me thinking that Japan was forced out of the Philippines in 1944.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    There was me thinking that Japan was forced out of the Philippines in 1944.....
    "Fine... I'll meet you over there then..."