Wayne Smith | July 21, 2009

Article from: The Australian

UNDER-FIRE Wallabies halfback Luke Burgess yesterday received some timely support - from the understudy many critics believe should replace him in the Test XV, Queensland number nine Will Genia.

Burgess clearly is one of the players coach Robbie Deans most has in mind when he talks of the Wallabies being "a work in progress" but 14 Tests into his international career, the Waratahs halfback still seems to have made no appreciable improvement to his passing.

While Burgess might well have saved the Wallabies seven points by snuffing out a threatening Stephen Donald-triggered All Blacks raid right on half-time at Eden Park on Saturday night, he arguably cost his side 13.

Certainly two of Donald's four second-half penalties can be traced back to Burgess, the first after a moment of indecision caused him to use Lachlan Turner as a shepherd, the second after his high pass to Matt Giteau led to a chargedown and a mad scramble in front of Australia's posts.

And arguably another seven points went west when he rolled a wobbly pass over the sideline when it seemed the Wallabies had a two-man overlap on the right wing in the 16th minute.

It may well be that had Genia not ruptured a finger tendon late in the Reds' Super 14 campaign, he would already be the Wallabies starting halfback.

Certainly at the time of his injury, he was the best-performed Australian halfback in the competition, despite having served a two-week suspension for picking up a Sharks flanker and burying him in an illegal tackle. Not nice, but the aggression and strength did not go unnoticed.

Deans has come under fire from both sides of the Tasman for waiting until the 72nd minute before introducing Genia off the bench for his Test debut. During his eight-minute cameo, the nuggety 85kg dynamo provided consistently slick and accurate service to Giteau. Given the amount of attention he was receiving from the All Blacks, Giteau must surely have appreciated the split second of extra time Genia's speed of pass gave him.

But yesterday, Genia was more interested in making a case for Burgess' retention.
"It was a war zone at the breakdown," said the 21-year-old son of the former Papua New Guinea Defence Minister.

"The pace and intensity of it was way beyond anything I'd ever experienced at Super 14 level. It was far more of a fight for the halfback to get to the ball. The All Blacks were very good at getting in and slowing down our ball and getting turnovers.

"I've got a lot of respect for Luke and it was a tough game for a halfback. I thought he did well."

Reds coach Phil Mooney was impressed but not surprised by Genia's contribution.
"I thought his service was very crisp," said Mooney. "I know that starting a game is different to coming off the bench, but I think he showed he has got the capacity to play Test football."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html