Thread: Sharks beat Reds in Super 14 thriller

vCash

Sharks beat Reds in Super 14 thriller

South Africa's Sharks ran in five tries to overhaul the Queensland Reds in the round eight Super 14 match in Durban.{br}{br}View the Entire Article{br}

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    And Percy's new mullet is coming along quite nicely too!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    How did he lose it in the first place? Reckon it was a bet, or he passed out drunk and his mates cut it all off?

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    THe push over try from a scrum in first few minutes didn't bode well for the young Reds - with two 19year olds playing in Brown & Barnes.
    Each time it looked like Sharks had the 'foot on their throat , the Reds were able to put on a smart backline try. The threatened lineout/rolling maul for a try was beautifully forestalled by the Reds forwards by just backing off, thereby creating a 'truck & trailer' penalty against the Sharks. Highlight of a season really, roundly appreciated and applauded by the Saffa commentators.

Reds are playing smart rugby against bigger and more experienced packs. They successfully wheeled the scrum to their advantage. (I've seen other refs penalise this though!)

For a team torn apart by the loss of so many players, Flatley and Latham lately, they'll return to Brisbane with young'uns blooded and heads held high. The Saffa tour could have been embarrassing with high scores to the opposition, but its turning out to be better than imagined. At least theres been a win over the hapless Cats in Rd 9.

Last edited by MysticBalls; 11-04-06 at 20:50.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I didn't watch this game MB but a little confused what the two wingers and the 5/8 have to do with the pushover try?
    I think there are actually a lot of similarities between the situation at the Reds and Force with some fantastic young players coming through the ranks but both a season or two away from realising their potential.
    There will be a lot of exciting rugby to come out of Brisbane in the next couple of years.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Yeah Burgs. I blame it on my "late night-itis". With two 19 year olds on field and six 23 yr olds (Valentine,Chapman,Hynes,Mitchell,Moore,Berry) it looked like the Reds didn't have the bulk to match it with the seasoned Sharks side.
    The push over try confirmed this early on within the forwards as well. I wasn't optimistic.

But to their credit, they hung onto the game, and didn't let it get away from them.
    Character building tour of Sth Africa. As the saying goes "if you're good enough, you're old enough".

Barnes could be the next Larkham, and we hope so, but he'll have to bulk up to manage the heavy workload and 'wear and tear' at 5/8.

Burgs- in this game I saw a move which yourself, as a forward, would be able to name.
    It consisted of Sharks with a scrum feed 10 m out, in front of goalposts.
    The centres were split either side. The lock (Venter) held the ball in at his feet, then picked it up and ran on the right side of the scrum. His blindside flanker 6(leftside of scrum here) followed the lock around the scrum and ran an 'inside lane' closer to the scrum.

Lock Venter then drew the defender, passed inside to his following 6 flanker who waltzed over for a try unopposed- a 7 pointer! It was such a neat move, its gotta be in a coaching manual, and have a name. Hopefully it can be taught to the Force! In the meantime, I'll christen it the 'Venter' move. 8)

Last edited by MysticBalls; 13-04-06 at 20:15.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Re the "Venter", MB.
    This type of move would have a variety of names around the globe depending on a teams own system.
    In my limited experience names rarely relate to the move in a descriptive way.
    In coaching manuals it is probably reffered to as "Number 8 blindside, inside pass to support" or something equally as stimulating.
    The players possibly have something as obscure as "Tonka" or "Goldfish" or even something distracting such as "Skyscraper" (ie reference to potential kick move, being "high") so as to keep everyone guessing.
    For public consumption the "Venter" is probably as good as any!
    In school I recall all of our kicking moves were refered to by a boot brand name for the different parts of the field they were going to go.
    Others with more current knowledge may be able to offer more light on the subject, but I hope this helps in some way?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.