Thread: COTTESLOE TOO GOOD FOR PEDESTRIAN PERTH-BAYSWATER

vCash

COTTESLOE TOO GOOD FOR PEDESTRIAN PERTH-BAYSWATER

Big Cottesloe prop Shaun Nankervis drives over for his second tryCottesloe reversed their round three loss with a solid, effective 32-8 win over a pedestrian Perth-Bayswater team at Pat O'Hara Reserve today to maintain third place in the WA club rugby competition, sponsored by KWIK Crane and Transport Hire.

Cottesloe made the most of their opportunities in a fairly even first half to lead 16-0 at the break, and resisted a spirited Perth-Bayswater revival early in the second spell. The home team had plenty of opportunities but were laboured and predictable in execution, while the Seagulls flew away with the game with a late scoring spree.

The loss leaves Perth-Bayswater a distant sixth on the table and in need of major improvement to make the finals in the remaining six weeks.

After an early flurry of kicking with Cottesloe enjoying slightly more territory, Seagulls flyhalf Dave Cloete opened the scoring with an angled penalty goal for a high tackle after 11 minutes.

Cottesloe centre Sam Parker crossed the line out wide after 20 minutes on advantage but referee Matt O’Brien called him back for a forward pass and awarded the penalty, and Cloete kicked his second goal for a 6-0 lead to the visitors.

Perth-Bayswater had a prime opportunity after 26 minutes with a five metre scrum on Cottesloe's line but the Seagulls wheeled the scrum and turned over possession. A tight game continued with little to choose between the teams in the set pieces or the loose, but with the Seagulls making more of the play.

Busy wing Todd Edwards weaved through the defence to dive under the posts on the half hour but was held up over the line, but two rucks later big prop Shaun Nankervis plunged over beside the posts for the try. Cloete converted the sitter and the visitors forged ahead 13-0. Cloete added a point blank penalty for offside three minutes later as Perth-Bayswater started to lose touch.

However the home side lifted and spent the last five minutes hard on attack on Cott's line with a series of lineouts and penalties but were slow and predictable, the Seagulls holding them out solidly until half time.

Perth-Bayswater opened the second half stronger and flyhalf Toby Hohapata kicked a handy penalty goal after six minutes but four minutes later Cloete nullified it with a more difficult penalty kick to lead 19-3.

Undismayed, the black team drove downfield and the forwards mauled up in the corner, wing Nathan Hunt nipping in on the blind for a try to gain a little ground at 19-8.

The sideline conversion missed but Perth-Bayswater started to dominate territory and possession and their scrum had the Seagulls' eight in trouble, despite the occasional objection from referee O'Brien.

But Cottesloe defended capably and waited for their opportunities, Cloete kicking another moderate penalty goal after 22 minutes to keep the score well beyond Perth-Bayswater's reach at 22-8.

Then from a lineout five metres out following a long kick taken into touch by Perth, the Seagulls did everything that Perth failed to do in the same position -- quick ball, an incisive option and instant support as the forwards drove Nankervis over for his second try in a lineout set move. Cloete missed the sideline conversion but the Seagulls went ahead 27-8 on the half hour.

Minutes later Cott was in again, Perth misfielding a long kick and the Seagulls forwards pounced, the ball spinning wide for a try to wing Edwards. Crossing out wide, he came around to touch down closer to the posts and the Seagulls shot clear at 32-8.

Perth-Bayswater dominated the closing stages but it was for pride only and Cott defended ably until full time.

In other games it was all home ground one-way traffic as Palmyra ran away with the game late to defeat Kalamunda 37-18 at Tompkins Park, Wanneroo downed University 33-14 at Kingsway and Rockingham edged out Wests-Subiaco 41-35 at Lark Hill.

In a late night game at Allen Park, Nedlands and Associates are due to kick off at 7.30 pm.

http://rugbywa.com.au/news/article,56024.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 11-07-09 at 18:57.

vCash
    Cottesloe deserved to win they came to Baysies with everything and it payed off. Well done to them

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Anyone know the Soaks Nedlands score?

vCash
    I know Wanneroo did Uni quite easily.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Anyone know the Soaks Nedlands score?
    Nedlands won in a tight one

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Neddies 32, Soaks 31. But anyone know the try count? 4 Try BP all round?

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    4 tries to soaks,3 to neddies

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    According to the Scungy Times the score was something like 22 to 21, so I'd wait till it goes up on the RugbyWA site, Coach.

Wouldn't want to get the tipping ladder wrong, would we?

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    According to the Scungy Times the score was something like 22 to 21, so I'd wait till it goes up on the RugbyWA site, Coach.

Wouldn't want to get the tipping ladder wrong, would we?
    Associates 22 v Nedlands 23 according to the RugbyWA site.

Premiership Ladder and Tipping Ladder updated

vCash
    Our own Goony in action

vCash
    is he a prop?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post
    Our own Goony in action
    I don't like the sound of this

when they keep glancing over at me i know they think iam cute and are checking me out -Kalafan 10/3/10

i have difficulty in my life. alot of girls like me but i cannot ask them out. i think they like me cause i am good looking and have a nice smile.- kalafan 3/7/10

FREE LINDSAY

Born TROLLIN