Thread: Wycliff Palu to be recalled for Australia's clash with New Zealand

vCash

Wycliff Palu to be recalled for Australia's clash with New Zealand

Wycliff Palu to be recalled for Australia's clash with New Zealand

By Jon Geddes

July 13, 2009

Australia are expected to muscle up their pack for the opening Bledisloe Cup and Tri-Nations in Auckland, by catapulting powerhouse backrower Wycliff Palu into the starting side.

The 120-kilogram New South Wales Waratahs strike weapon would add an extra dimension to the Australia arsenal with his explosive ball-running and pile-driving defence in their biggest challenge so far this season.

Palu didn't participate in the opening of the Wallabies campaign after undergoing surgery to repair a broken hand.

But he was recalled to the Tri-Nations squad and impressed with his work during the demanding training sessions in Sydney. He has also played two club games for Manly.

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans revealed that Palu was in the mix to start against the All Blacks.

In a significant development, Palu had originally been named in the Manly side to play West Harbour at Concord Oval on Saturday, but ended up on the sideline running the water.

Deans dropped a clue as to Palu's likely selection when asked if he would be playing another club game at the weekend.

"I think we will pull him back and just manage his volume and his contact and make sure that he is in the right shape for the week after," Deans said.

His recall at No.8 is expected to be the only change to the starting side when it is named on Tuesday.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-32464,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Make sure there's no trucks around, his situational awareness isn't that good.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Possibly in for Waugh on the bench is more likely and a good option to unleash a power runner at the tiring Inside Backs late in the match.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Possibly in for Waugh on the bench is more likely and a good option to unleash a power runner at the tiring Inside Backs late in the match.
    Yup. Even with a few runs under his belt I'm not convinced he always plays as well as a starter in the really big matches. Browny has the shirt and Palu needs to show why he should get it back.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    For me Palu runs too hot and cold....maybe having to fight for his spot back will keep him more focused.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Palu back is good for Eden Park Abs match this week... Keep them honest... he, Smith and Brown can do a good job together

vCash
    Not sure the line-up would be Palu, Smith and Brown. If Palu comes straight in as 8 then more likely Smith, Pocock/Waugh, Palu at 6, 7 & 8.

But as Burgs said above - keep a winning side unchanged if required and have Palu's power come off the bench against a tiring McCaw!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I'd be cautious about Palu as an impact player first game back - what if he pulls up lame once you've removed your starter? I would have thought the way to play and motivate him would be throw him on to start with the clear message that how long he will be there will be up to him.

Player
    vCash
    6. Smith 7. Pocock/Brown 8. Palu. Sorry but Palu back so Brown better get used to openside. Well at least until Elsom back from injury. Palu is a quality player and deserves his spot. Plus the AB's will far more fearful of Palu then Brown.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Class View Post
    6. Smith 7. Pocock/Brown 8. Palu. Sorry but Palu back so Brown better get used to openside. Well at least until Elsom back from injury. Palu is a quality player and deserves his spot. Plus the AB's will far more fearful of Palu then Brown.
    Palu's big, and that's all the main thing has has running for him. He's not bad. But he deserves to earn the number 8, not be gifted it. Brown has been a little trooper so far this season and has put forward a strong case to keep the jersey, and I don't think big Cliffy has earnt it back yet. If the AllBlacks don't fear Brown then jeez they are more dumb than I give them credit for.

Andy your right, and that's the only thing I can really see that would stop Brownie from starting.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    I'd be cautious about Palu as an impact player first game back - what if he pulls up lame once you've removed your starter? I would have thought the way to play and motivate him would be throw him on to start with the clear message that how long he will be there will be up to him.
    Agree... he wont have 80 mins in him but he can take the sting out of the AB younger locks and older loosies for a while... then put them to the torch...

Shame we don't have Rocky back also...

Player
    vCash
    Brown has tried had in every test this year but with ball in hand hasn't made the impact that Palu does. The AB's don't fear Brown anywhere near as much as they fear Palu. Many would still remember Palu running over top of them in the tackle. Or hitting the line making metres, or his rattling defence. Just ask AJ Venter and Bakkies Botha. But hey I am biased he happens to be my favourite player. Does as much as he can for Club Rugby to. Mans the BBQ at Manly games etc. Turned up to the U14's State Championships to watch the kids run around. Plus he's a pretty nice guy to boot.

vCash
    Brown has tried had in every test this year but with ball in hand hasn't made the impact that Palu does.
    twice a season against teams that aren't in the top 20.

I tells ya, Palu diappears in the big matches, Yes, I'm convinced he'll get the start, a combination of political pressure and Andy's theory will ensure that, but he'll fold quicker than Al Baxter and Browny will be required by about minute 20.

Brown will work all day, hard as nails and push the ABs around like he's done all S14....the blacks disregard him at their peril!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    but he'll fold quicker than Al Baxter
    That isn't possible

vCash
    Mans the BBQ at Manly games etc.
    Yeah I saw that on Telly, too. But they reckon he and his tenant eat all the profits.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David