An Initiative by the ASIO CSIRO Partnership July 09, 2009

THIS is the secret technology the Wallabies hope can uncover the hidden path to Bledisloe Cup and Tri-Nations success.

Star players, including five-eighth Matt Giteau, were snapped yesterday at Wallabies training wearing head-mounted cameras as part of an innovative experiment to maximise their attack.

The cutting-edge technology - the brainchild of coach Robbie Deans - features Wallabies playmakers slipping on headgear with miniature lenses on top, which feeds into digital recorders stuck on the shoulders.

Giteau, Berrick Barnes, Luke Burgess and Drew Mitchell wore the rigs during fully-opposed backline drills to capture the unique action footage.

Wary of giving away a competitive edge to rivals, the Wallabies declined to discuss details of the trial yesterday, but it is believed the cameras are being used to identify attacking opportunities.

The first-person perspective is later pored over by Deans and his Wallabies' analysts with the aim of exploring where space opens up on a field, and help players spot the chance to run, pass or kick the ball into open territory.

Mistake-free line-outs also appeared to be a goal with hookers Tatafu Polota-Nau and Stephen Moore later pulling on the headgear cameras as well.

Head-mounted cameras are used in motorsport and NFL training, but it's believed to be a first in rugby.

Deans has long been at the forefront of technology, and was the first in Super rugby to hire a full-time analyst at the Crusaders.

Meanwhile, rampaging No. 8 Wycliff Palu says he's fit enough to start against the All Blacks on July 18 in Auckland after returning from a broken hand. Palu has played two full games for Manly in the last fortnight.

"My focus is get back up to speed, that's the thing about this squad, they take no passengers. The time I have had off made me hungry and I am looking forward to it," he said.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006067,00.html

this is the equipment rumored to have caught Lote out....

---------- Post added at 14:51 ---------- Previous post was at 14:46 ----------

It must have a every wide lens to capture PTN line out throws...