Thread: Genia goes from PNG to Wallaby gold

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Genia goes from PNG to Wallaby gold

Bret Harris | July 03, 2009

Article from: The Australian

WILL Genia was sitting in a classroom at Ballymore yesterday doing his diploma in business course when he was handed a piece of paper.

It was the Wallabies' Tri-Nations squad and Genia's name was highlighted in yellow.
    Genia was the only bolter in the 30-man squad, replacing back-up halfback Josh Valentine.

"I'm stoked. I couldn't believe it," Genia said.

The 21-year-old was poised to be selected in Australia's squad for the in-bound Tests, but was ruled out after damaging a finger tendon in a two-try performance for Queensland against the Brumbies on May 2. He will be fit to play again in two weeks, which is when the Wallabies tackle the All Blacks in Auckland on July 18.

"Robbie (Deans) called me after the Brumbies game," Genia said. "He said 'keep working hard and our paths will cross before the end of the year'.

"All I wanted to do this year was play good, consistent rugby for Queensland and now I've been rewarded with a place in the Wallabies. If I get picked, I'll be right to play in two weeks. All I can do is do everything I can to get fit and prepare.

"It would be awesome to face the haka in Auckland and play against the All Blacks, one of the best teams in the world."

Genia will become one of the few players of Papua New Guinean birth to become a Wallaby. After moving to Australia as a 12 year old, he was plucked from obscurity by former Queensland coach Eddie Jones to make his Super rugby debut for the Reds' season opener against the Hurricanes in 2007 without having played a senior club game for Brisbane Wests.

A member of the Australian under-20 team last year, Genia continued his development this season, competing with Australia A halfback Ben Lucas for the Reds' No9 jersey. While Genia has been out of sight, he has not been out of Deans' mind.

"As a young man he is very strong," Deans said. "He's got a good passing game and he's strong in the carry. In his last outing against the Brumbies, he scored two tries that day as well as distributing effectively.

"He is a bloke who we believe will add a lot to our game.

"Against a tiring defence a bloke like him is going to be pretty challenging and we've seen that in Super rugby."

Genia, who is finalising a two-year deal with the ARU and the Reds, will play a key role in maintaining the Wallabies' pace and pressure for 80 minutes.

"That's something I've concentrated on this season," Genia said. "I was given some advice by (former Australia and Reds halfback) Sam Cordingley. Whatever time you get make the most of it and make a difference. It doesn't matter if it's two minutes or 20 minutes."

The only other change to the Wallabies squad was the inclusion of number eight Wycliff Palu, who has recovered from a broken hand and has effectively replaced the sacked Lote Tuqiri.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Another new player that is exciting to watch, good on Genia he deserves it. Gees how many uncapped players has Deans brought in now??

Can’t resist the Obvious Statement:

Emirates Western Force Player Valentine selected to play for Wallabies (May 21, 2009)
    Brumbies Player Valentine dropped from Wallabies Squad (July 02, 2009)

Oh how a few months changes things!!!

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    he's still a Forceman in my books, I call him Force until training starts at the Brumbies.

We still have plenty in the squad.

C'mon the