Thread: Pretorius: I think I'm lucky

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Pretorius: I think I'm lucky

Johannesburg - Springbok World Cup winner Andre Pretorius, believes his move to Australian Super 14 franchise, the Force, is a once-in-a-lifetime chance and an opportunity he could not turn down.

With most South African stars heading to Europe in the latter stages of their careers, the 30-year-old Lions stalwart - who still has a lot of rugby ahead of him - has broken the mould by signing with an Australian team and remaining within the SANZAR "family".

In fact, given he will be turning out for an Australian team and playing against his countrymen next season, the 31-Test Springbok veteran could be considered a pioneer in many ways.

"I wouldn't say I'm a pioneer," argued Pretorius in an interview on www.in-site.co.za.

"Guys like Tiaan Strauss (Waratahs) and Andr Vos (Reds) have already played Super Rugby in Australia.

"However, I do think I'm lucky to have been presented with this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity - not many players get a chance like this during their careers.

"It would be great if this happened more often - could you imagine, for example, what a boost it would be for South African rugby if a guy like Matt Giteau were to play a season or two here?"

Pretorius has to report for duty in Perth on November 1, and he explains his thinking further: "I said at the start of the 2009 Super 14 that this would be my last one (Super 14) and I was half-preparing to take up an offer in Europe.

"But I had a relatively injury-free 2009 Super 14 and then this opportunity came up... and, well, it was a tough one to turn down.

"From the first time I began chatting to the Force, to the time I put pen to paper and right up until today, they have just been so professional," he added.

"It's an exciting time for me, as the Force are over their building phase now and they have some real potential, plus their facilities are fantastic.

"But, at this stage, my first priority remains with the Lions (during the Currie Cup) and then only will I turn my attention to what is a very exciting opportunity for me at the Force."

Pretorius is carrying a slight post-Super 14 niggle and once he shakes that off he will return to full training ahead of the Currie Cup.

"Although I managed to get through the Super 14, I was playing with a slight niggle, so I won't be available for the start (of the Currie Cup)," he revealed - his admission no doubt a big blow to the Lions, who rely heavily on their Bok pivot during his last few months in Johannesburg.

"But, that aside, my body feels good and I'm looking forward to training flat-out again and making a difference before I leave to Australia." Despite not having featured for the Boks under new coach Peter de Villiers, Pretorius - who has rattled up 171 points at Test level - will be leaving South Africa with no regrets or pre-conceived ideas about a possible return to his country of birth.

"One never knows what lies ahead," he says. "But, like I said, all I'm thinking about at the moment is doing my best for the Lions and then I'll turn my attention to the Force when I get there in November.

"After the 2010 Super 14, who knows? Loyalty is a huge thing for me, so we'll have to see, but I've certainly learnt that one can never say never in this game."

And what then about coming back to South Africa on a Super 14 tour next year - with a game against the Lions at Coca-Cola Park one of his possible fixtures?

"It will be great," he says with a laugh, "I'm South African, so touring a country that I love so much will be great. The only difference for me will be playing in another jersey!"

http://www.sport24.co.za/Content/Rug...think_Im_lucky

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    "From the first time I began chatting to the Force, to the time I put pen to paper and right up until today, they have just been so professional," he added.

"It's an exciting time for me, as the Force are over their building phase now and they have some real potential, plus their facilities are fantastic.
    I know it is a bit sad but hey, it's nice to hear and see positives. I think we have had to tolerate enough BS so let's bask in the good news.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    I used to think that there should be no exceptions to the Wallaby eligibility conditions in S14. I can see now that there are instances where gaps need to be filled in the S14 rosters, for them to be competitive. Ben Castle was the key this year. A player like Pretorius was a must for next year. I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes and how he helps the team.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    No disrespect to Andre, but I think he is right. How the hell weren't we in the frame for Hernandez?

Hernandez says yes to Sharks

Stade Français Paris and Argentina utility back Juan Martin Hernandez has signed a one-year deal with South African Super 14 team Natal Sharks.

The 26-year-old – nicknamed “El Mago” (the Wizard) for his ability and skills to play in all threequarters positions – has agreed the 12-month contract with Frederic Michalak’s former team.

Hernandez spent six seasons in Paris where he helped the club win Top 14 Orange titles in 2004 and 2006 and reach the 2005 Heineken Cup final where they lost against Toulouse in Edinburgh.

The versatile Hernandez scored 85 points in 26 Heineken Cup appearances for Stade and was nominated as IRB Player of the Year in 2007.

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/12_12850.php

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    No disrespect to Andre, but I think he is right. How the hell weren't we in the frame for Hernandez?

Hernandez says yes to Sharks

Stade Français Paris and Argentina utility back Juan Martin Hernandez has signed a one-year deal with South African Super 14 team Natal Sharks.

The 26-year-old – nicknamed “El Mago” (the Wizard) for his ability and skills to play in all threequarters positions – has agreed the 12-month contract with Frederic Michalak’s former team.

Hernandez spent six seasons in Paris where he helped the club win Top 14 Orange titles in 2004 and 2006 and reach the 2005 Heineken Cup final where they lost against Toulouse in Edinburgh.

The versatile Hernandez scored 85 points in 26 Heineken Cup appearances for Stade and was nominated as IRB Player of the Year in 2007.

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/12_12850.php
    Good question, ask JO'C or John Mitchell... Perhaps they didn't know he was available

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Good question, ask JO'C or John Mitchell... Perhaps they didn't know he was available
    Why would we not ask Mitch Hardy?

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Pretorius: I think I'm lucky
    Damn straight

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Why would we not ask Mitch Hardy?
    I thought the new fly had to reach JO'Cs approval so he would stay on with the Force... Perhaps JO'C liked Pretorius's Boks experience... Other than that it would be John Mitchell call which man he wanted. If Mitch Hardy is the investigator than I guess the name should have been on the list... but perhaps it was. The only thing you know for sure is you got Pretorius as playmaker...