Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Morne Steyn kicks last gasp penalty to hand Springboks series win

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Morne Steyn kicks last gasp penalty to hand Springboks series win

From correspondents in Pretoria, South Africa
    June 28, 2009 Morne Steyn hit a last-gasp 53-metre penalty to seal a dramatic 28-25 win for South Africa over the British and Irish Lions at Loftus Versfeld, sealing the three-match series 2-0.

The Bulls flyhalf calmly slotted the kick after a riveting game that saw the injury-hit Lions run out of steam in the second half after dominating the first 40 minutes.

After losing 26-21 in the first Test in Durban last weekend, the Lions had to win to keep interest alive in the third Test in Johannesburg next week.

Stephen Jones was faultless with his boot, contributing 20 points, with outstanding full-back Rob Kearney crossing for the visitors' sole try.

But the Springboks responded with three tries through wingers JP Pietersen and Bryan Habana, and Jacque Fourie, with Frans Steyn hitting a long-range penalty and Morne Steyn two conversions and two penalties.

"To win this series is a great honour and privilege," said smiling but drained Bok coach Peter de Villiers.

"We have waited 12 years for this and I hope that in years to come people will recall the 2009 Springboks with pride.

"We showed great character to come back from a bad start. Three points, two one, that is how close Test rugby can be."

Habana paid tribute to replacement flyhalf Morne Steyn.

"It is great to have that little right foot of his. I think Morne knows every blade of grass at Loftus and can kick goals from anywhere.

"But this was a team effort and I believe we can go from strength to strength."

Lions skipper and lock Paul O'Connell said it was his darkest day on a rugby field.

"Right now it is the most disappointing defeat of my life.

"It is very disappointing to concede a penalty right at the death. The injuries during the match definitely had an impact. Brian (O'Driscoll) going off was crucial as he is the lynchpin of the side.

"But, to be honest, we just didn't play in the second half. Last week we didn't play for the first 40 minutes and today it was the other way round.

Head coach Ian McGeechan was a picture of dejection.

"We let the game slip away. It was one we should have won. Tactically, we played well.

"Unfortunately, we did not maintain our discipline in the second half. The Springbok front five was very weary, but we did not make the most of it. They were two very close games."

The match got off to an action-packed start with Bok flanker Schalk Burger, winning his 50th cap, rightly sin binned after 32 seconds for gouging Luke Fitzgerald in the eyes.

The Lions kicked the penalty to touch and from a resulting offside in midfield Stephen Jones booted an easy penalty.

A brief bout of fisticuffs interrupted a nervy start from both sides, Fourie du Preez missing a touchfinder and being charged down in his own 22.

The Lions seemed intent on spreading the ball wide, and the opening try came in the seventh minute when Jones took a flat ball, spotted half a gap and flicked a pass out of the back of his hand to Kearney.

The Leinster fullback, with Tommy Bowe outside him, backed himself for the line and scored a five-pointer Jones converted from wide out.

The Boks hit back immediately, Victor Matfield taking a quick line-out ball at the back and Du Preez playing Pietersen between Fitzgerald and David Wallace for a well-worked try. Ruan Pienaar missed the conversion.

Jones hit his second penalty after the Bok defence again strayed offside.

Pietersen was almost played in for his second try of the afternoon when he gathered a Du Preez crosskick, the covering Kearney lucky to have been running across the winger's line.

Frans Steyn missed a tricky 48-metre penalty but Jones made no mistake with a drop-goal five minutes from the half-time whistle after a sustained period of pressure from the Lions, for whom lock Simon Shaw shone in defence and the loose.

Steyn, however, was successful with a 53-metre penalty to make it 16-8 after the first period.

The Lions suffered a hammer blow five minutes into the second-half when props Adam Jones and Gethin Jenkins went off injured, making for uncontested scrums.

A high tackle by Matthew Rees on Burger and offside in midfield handed Pienaar two penalty chances the fly-half failed to take.

Jones, however, made no mistake with his third penalty in the 61st minute.

Habana scored his 33rd try in 48 internationals two minutes later, taking an offload from Pierre Spies and scything through the flat defensive line.

Replacement Morne Steyn hit the conversion and then a penalty in the 68th minute to draw the Springboks up to 19-18.

The Lions immediately increased their lead after Burger strayed offside in front of the posts, Jones hitting a simple penalty.

The drama, however, was far from over. Fourie crossed for his try in the right corner before Jones pulled the Lions level at 25 points apiece with three minutes to play.

But then local boy Steyn stepped up and knocked over the winning penalty.

Agence France-Presse

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...018977,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Burger and Botha cited

June 28, 2009 - 7:56AM

South Africa's Schalk Burger and Bakkies Botha have been cited for foul play during the Springboks' series-clinching victory over the British and Irish Lions and will appear at a disciplinary hearing on Sunday.

Making his 50th appearance for the Boks, flank forward Burger was cited after allegedly gouging the eyes of Lions wing Luke Fitzgerald in the first minute of Saturday's match, which South Africa won 28-25 at Loftus Versfeld.

Burger was shown a yellow card for the offense by French referee Christophe Berdos and sent to the sinbin for 10 minutes.

Second row Botha was cited for dangerously charging Lions prop Adam Jones in the fourth minute of the second half.

The incident left Jones with a suspected broken arm and leaving the Lions unable to contest scrums after fellow prop Gethin Jenkins was forced off the field with a suspected broken cheekbone after colliding with Bryan Habana.

Both players will appear before Judicial Officer Alan Hudson of Canada in Pretoria on Sunday. If the cases are proved, both are expected to miss next Saturday's third test.

Burger, who faces the more serious charge, is likely to receive a lengthy ban.

Ireland forward Alan Quinlan, who was named for the Lions tour, was ruled out after he was suspended for 12 weeks for a similar offense in the European Cup.

Springboks coach Peter de Villiers said he didn't think Burger deserved a yellow card.

"I don't think it was a card at all," De Villiers said. "There was a lot of needle and, if you dissect the whole game, you will see yellow cards that were missed."

AP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Springboks coach Peter de Villiers said he didn't think Burger deserved a yellow card.

"I don't think it was a card at all," De Villiers said. "There was a lot of needle and, if you dissect the whole game, you will see yellow cards that were missed."
    He might've thought differently if it had been on one of HIS players. It was revolting. I hope he gets a 5 billion year ban ad never plays again. It was so gross. I missed Bakkie's tackling - was it just as bad?

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Gee how surprising that these two have been cited yet again for dangerous and dirty tactics. I don’t know if Botha will go, it did look bad but no were near as bad as Burgers. He knew he had the guy around the head and continued to press, prod and grab around in a malicious manner which is just not acceptable. This is not the first time for Botha to be cited for dangerously charging into a ruck or maul he seems to do it a fair bit.

Oh yeah I nearly forgot what was with Andy Sheridan hitting I don’t know who it was in the Beans!!! He should go for that as well!!! It was a dirty little premeditated punch.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    probably. we all know what kind of player he is

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    There is nothing to alledged about it, it was clear as day and unfortuantely a disgraceful reflection of his conduct throughout his 50 Tests.

For De Villiers to say there was nothing wrong with it when asked a second time if he had actually seen the footage reflects very poorly on his judgement too.
    Either he lied about seeing it or has a set of values at odds with the majority.
    Burgers actions have no place in Rugby and I will be amazed if he doesn't get a lengthy holiday, the recommendation from the Touchy was for "at least" a Yellow.

I think there was far less in Botha's but still may get something.
    Bummer Jones went off though, he was owning the Beast.
    As I was derided for last week, the Beast isn't that good, he got away with cheating last week and was owned this week.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    I agree. Red is more suitable.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash

Not sure how to take this, other than de Villiers being a plonker. Either:

a) He's saying that the card shouldn't have been given due to the amount of needle in the game, or
    b) This incident was no different from other incidents which weren't given cards.

Well, a) it was in the first minute(!) so Burger must get riled real easy, or b) refs are human and can't see everything - there's always missed cards in every game.

Usual myopic coach - sees every instance where the opposition committed a foul and not one of his own.

vCash
    Strange, nothing about the game so far.

Take away the couple of incidents of foul play being discussed above and it was another decent and entertaining game worthy of its 1hr 20mins.

Very good first half from the Lions. Started strong and maintained most of the pressure. Second half, Springboks worked their way back and the last minute penalty kick a heart-breaker for any lover of rugby (other than a Bok supporter) if only because the third game is a virtual nothing game.

Kudos to the Boks who with about 10 minutes left in the game went for the line-out (and try) rather than the easier 3 point option. It paid off with a superb try in the dying minutes and set them up for the eventual win.

Commiserations to the Lions, who appeared in the second half to go into a defensive mode perhaps a result of the injury toll or perhaps simply the pressure of needing to win.

Physically, it was a brutal game.

Technically, it had its moments but overall fairly decent.

Spectator-wise, I thought it better than the first game and definitely better than any of the Wallaby/All Black winter games.

Boks have looked the best coming out of the winter tour games. Maybe its simply because I've found their games more entertaining than those of the clinical Wallabies or of the erratic KQ's All Blacks.

I must say, Peter de Villier's has maintained a strong and respectable Springbok side contrary to the predictions/hopes of many. Congrats to him and his crew.

Bring on the Tri Nations.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post

I think there was far less in Botha's but still may get something.
    Bummer Jones went off though, he was owning the Beast.
    As I was derided for last week, the Beast isn't that good, he got away with cheating last week and was owned this week.
    If there was anything in Botha's hit there will be a lengthy lay off for him. Foul play where players get serious injuries (in this case a suspected broken bone) are usually punished more severely. Given his history of dirty play and the same applies to Burger (those two must get at least one suspension per year on average) I don't think we'll see much of either of them during the 3Ns.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Botha's just been given 2 weeks.

Burger's still awaiting the judiciary decision (I think they're debating how long a holiday he should have!).

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    Botha's just been given 2 weeks.

Burger's still awaiting the judiciary decision (I think they're debating how long a holiday he should have!).
    Two weeks what a joke!!! This guy is a repeat offender; I wonder how the guys that regularly play against him really think about him. I reckon they would always keep one eye on him to make sure they aren’t being lined up!!

vCash
    I thought the Wallabies had the better structured game than the Boks or AB's
    both Defensively and in build-up to points.
    Where the Boks lacked in structure they definitely had flair. Habana was back to his best.. there was one tackle after a kick-off where he absolutely HAMMERED the lions centre, i think it was. the guy nearly did a back somersault! that has to be a youtube hit! Other players that caught my eye were JP Pieterson and Speis had a big game too with several great charging runs and great offloads in the tackle.
    Franz Steyn also played better and has raised my opinion of him a little.

My stand out performer of the weekend across all the teams though has to Be George Smith... he was Superhuman noone came close to his level of performance!!

Can't wait for the tri-nations as for a change i think it will be the Wallabies and Boks with the upper hand.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Wonder how Habana would go without the gridironesque shoulder pads on...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Wonder how Habana would go without the gridironesque shoulder pads on...
    Habana Without Pads....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast