Thread: Fitz Files 13/6/09

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Fitz Files 13/6/09

WHAT THEY SAID

Western Force and now Wallabies prop Pek Cowan on his surprise call from Robbie Deans: "Then he asked: 'Would you be willing to play for your country?' All of the emotions came flooding back. I couldn't speak. My mouth went dry. I tried to say, 'I'd love to' but I got a bit tongue-tied and I think it came out as, 'I love you'."

Matthew Hayden on Andrew Symonds: "Andrew is my best friend. Kellie and I care very deeply about him. First and foremost it's about getting Andrew in a position where … he admits he has a problem and it is not masked by the carrot of playing for Australia or doing anything else in his life other than trying to understand the depth of the issue."

The bizarre Billy Bowden defends his array of eccentric cricket umpiring signals: "There's no additives when you see me, no preservatives. It's freshly squeezed. What you see is what you get." Bowden on how he reacts to criticism: "Just like Michael Jackson, are you prepared to look in the mirror and make that change? I am asking you to make that change, are you willing to, I challenge you?" I give up - what do you think he is smoking?

Michael Atherton on England losing to Holland in the Twenty20 World Cup: "If England can't beat a country that has 6000 cricketers and seven grass pitches …"

Headline in the Dutch daily NRC Handelsblad after Holland beat England in Twenty20: "CRICKET IS NO LONGER SO BORING."

Ricky Ponting on the repercussions if Australia were knocked out of the Twenty20 World Cup early: "We will have two weeks in Leicester. That won't be good for anybody." Funny he should say that!

The great Tim Horan on Channel Seven after the Barbarians-Wallabies match: "Sonny Bill Williams was out of his depth."

Will "X", 25, wants to be the nation's first transsexual to play competitive AFL. "I'm an ordinary guy who wants to play football, just with slightly different circumstances of how I came to be a guy … The only thing stopping me is other people's prejudice." Let him play.

Roger Federer on finally winning in Paris: "Until the end of my career, I can play peacefully knowing that I will never again hear it said that I never won Roland Garros."

Cricket writer Robert "Crash" Craddock: "Somewhere last night I can picture head selector Andrew Hilditch getting the news and saying, 'Oh, really? What, not Symmo? I'm stunned'. It's going to be a terrible shock for Hilditch when he finds out Harold Holt is missing."

rest of the article here....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Thought Pek's would win it for the week for me but yah gotta love Billy Bowden's effort

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I quite like that last one too