Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Round 7 Preview Local Rugby

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash

Round 7 Preview Local Rugby

Wanneroo v Cottesloe

This game will be the match of the round if the Dogs have sorted their injury problems and returned to the mindset they had three weeks ago. Elwee knows what his problems are, and you can be sure he will have addressed them if they are capable of being addressed. Cott will be brimming with confidence though, and their recent success has drawn back a few of their old stagers. Their coach's problem will be to
    have the strength to stick with the players who have done so well so far, and not replace them with antiques to please those who think they know better.
    With rabid home ground supporters, I give it to Wanneroo by 12 points.

University v Perth Bayswater
    We'll see how well Perth can handle a big forward pack at this stage of the season in this encounter. Uni should have their super secret Kiwi prop in action for the first time of the season for this game (if he hasn't switched clubs on the basis of their abysmal performances to date). If Uni can take it up to Perth in the forwards and play their second grade backline instead of their first, they are in with a chance. But the latter won't happen, and Perth will win by 17 points.

Palmyra v Wests Subiaco
    This year's professional victims will again complain about the unfairness of other clubs recruiting players when they weren't able to, and justify exposing boys to serious injury as an act of righteous virtue, but the result will be the same. The cellar dwellers from Melville will take it out by 40 points. And that's if they're feeling charitable, and Wests go uncontested in the scrums.

Kalamunda v Associates
    The ever increasing haemorrhaging of players from Kalamunda continues unabated. Associates will breakfast on what's left of last year's premiership team. Soaks by 27 points.

Rockingham v Nedlands
    Last season, when Rockingham were doing exceptionally well, who would have even considered the possibility of their downing Nedlands? Well this year it's a distinct probability if Rocky have the services of Longbottom, Tyler and Minson. Unfortunately I think they are still on the injured list, so Nedlands get a reprieve. Nedlands by 25points.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Nedlands by 25 Fulvio,
    does that indicate a rocky Forfeit?

Rookie
    vCash
    Uni's super secret?
    Watch out for the Dogs new super secret!
    For years just about every other club except Wanneroo had wealthy benefactors.
    The Kingsway breeding ground was also rich pickings for other clubs who paid the young guys, once they got out of juniors, to drive south past their own club.
    Now that Wanneroo is in a position to do what everyone else has been doing for years those very clubs are grizzling, whinging and complaining.
    I remember a club flying players in from NZ in the second half of the season just to qualify them for the finals
    Does the phrase "taste of your own medicine" ring a bell guys?

Last edited by paul; 01-06-09 at 21:35.

vCash
    You wish, BDG.

vCash
    The Rocky boys are in damage control BDG, best you bring down a Golden Oldies team to tackle our injured and depleted 1sts.

vCash
    You haven't heard me complaining, Paul.

You have a good memory.

I remember your Jock McTiernan jumping ship to Nedlands, taking a few players with him. Don't know what if anything he was offered, but.

I remember Nedlands coach Tom Fern jumping ship to Wests taking half of Nedlands with him.

I remember the then Western Suburbs importing half a loser NZ team for the minimum number of qualifying games and the finals.

I remember a certain Frenchman being on a Wanneroo lower grade team sheet in the last qualifying games of the season, when his French team's website had him playing in France the same day.

The point is, Paul, we're all as bad as each other, and one club will shaft another at any available opportunity. Let's not get too precious about it, or too bitter.

But it's always nice to get even.

vCash
    Not Rocko, we're as pure as the driven snow!

At least at Under 10s

C'mon the

vCash
    Elwee, based on what Paul said, can we assume you've bought yourself a new toy?

Apprentice
    vCash
    Yeah mate!! I'm putting the boots on so look out. I've also decided that I'll be captain and will kick for post. lol!!

Not sure about the new player mate just some returns from injury! It's about time as we've had 9 injuries over the last 4 weeks.

vCash
    Only two out of five!

Pretty ordinary effort on my part, but not nearly as ordinary as some of the top sides appear to have performed this week.

So Perth's much vaunted all destroying forward pack ended up revealing themselves as the great under achievers, no surprises there, and Nedlands proved to be the party animals of the season, all party, no season.

And Wanneroo? I'm gobsmacked, not so much that they lost, but 5 to 41? What where they smoking?

Soaks won by 2 points. Good effort by Kala, but not enough.

Lift your game lads, you're making me look bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post

So Perth's much vaunted all destroying forward pack ended up revealing themselves as the great under achievers, no surprises there,
    Fulvio you you should not say things like this a week before Pally play Baysies You might just turn the rugby gods against your team
    With no home losses so far this season I can guarantee you that Baysies will be a hand full

vCash
    Pieter, we haven't had any away losses yet either, but I'm not putting any store in that.

As far as the Rugby Gods are concerned, they haven't been with us for the last several years, so this week won't be any different.

As a far wiser commentator than I has said, one should deal only with the facts.

Well the facts are their for all to see if they want to see them.

Perth may well beat Palmyra, but to do so their forwards will have to play to a far higher standard than they have shown to date, and their backs will have to be far more enterprising in attack and tighter in defence.

But of course, Palmyra are the cellar dwellers, and as yet untested bolters, so our dreams will no doubt be smashed if things go according to the common wisdom of those in the know.

vCash
    Cute bar girl though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Pieter, we haven't had any away losses yet either, but I'm not putting any store in that.

As far as the Rugby Gods are concerned, they haven't been with us for the last several years, so this week won't be any different.

As a far wiser commentator than I has said, one should deal only with the facts.

Well the facts are their for all to see if they want to see them.

Perth may well beat Palmyra, but to do so their forwards will have to play to a far higher standard than they have shown to date, and their backs will have to be far more enterprising in attack and tighter in defence.

But of course, Palmyra are the cellar dwellers, and as yet untested bolters, so our dreams will no doubt be smashed if things go according to the common wisdom of those in the know.
    Frank, it's my pleasure and privilege to be able to share some common wisdom with you from those in the know.

I don't know how often you've seen Perth play this year (not once, I suspect) and I confess I've seen Paly only once so far this season, but the facts go like this:

Perth has a good forward pack, although it's hampered by a few injuries at present. The Perth back line is not at the same level although better than it has been, but it also has been knocked by injury with flyhalf Moon out and both wings.

Palmyra has the reverse skill set from my observations, a reasonable forward pack but a classy back line. I don't know how you're off for injuries but I intend to find out during the week as this game is my match of the week.

Depending what team Perth can field this week, Palmyra can expect a torrid battle for possession although they can probably expect Perth to start slow as usual. If Palmyra get enough ball Perth will have a hard time containing them, but I'm not convinced that Paly are strong finishers and they should aim for a full 80 minutes because Perth generally come home strong.

It could go either way quite easily and a lot will depend on injuries and which team fires on the day.

No, Palmyra are not cellar dwellers, and have not been from day one this year. They were last year, and no doubt that epithet still rankles, but last year it was a fact and it's time you put it behind you. If Palmyra beat both Perth and Wanneroo (and the timing is certainly right with both teams suffering a string of injuries) then they will have been tested as much as is possible at this stage of the season and can rightly take full kudos from the achievement. However, it is best to claim these AFTER the achievement, not before.

A word of warning though -- there are remarkably few trophies handed out in June. Paly has performed with great ability to hit second place in round 7, but it should be wary of peaking too soon.

Personally, I am delighted to see Palmyra bounce back with style, as contrary to the belief of some of your colleagues it did not give me a single moment of pleasure to see Paly suffer. It's good for WA rugby to have the suburban clubs strong and I wish Palmyra the very best of fortune this weekend, and throughout the remainder of the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rick boyd View Post

No, Palmyra are not cellar dwellers, and have not been from day one this year. They were last year, and no doubt that epithet still rankles, but last year it was a fact and it's time you put it behind you. If Palmyra beat both Perth and Wanneroo (and the timing is certainly right with both teams suffering a string of injuries) then they will have been tested as much as is possible at this stage of the season and can rightly take full kudos from the achievement.
    Of course, even if Paly and Soaks do account for Baysies and Wannaroo in the next couple of weeks, I don't rate the chances of any/all of those results being reported without gratuitous mention of those clubs injury woes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast