Thread: Elsom ruled out of Italy Test

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Elsom ruled out of Italy Test

8th June 2009, 15:30 WST

Rocky Elsom’s return to the Wallabies has been put on hold, with the star flanker ruled out of Saturday night’s Test against Italy in Canberra.

Elsom was unable to train today and underwent further assessment on his injured knee, which is tender and bruised around the bone.

Officials say the injury is worse than at first thought but have not put a timeframe on when the 40-Test star will be available.

Elsom’s first game for Australia since last year’s Tri-Nations series has been much anticipated after he was released to play with Irish side Leinster.

The rampaging No.6 was man-of-the-match in Europe’s Heineken Cup final two weeks ago and is in some of the best form of his career.

His injury worry surfaced when he was ruled out of the Barbarians side for last Saturday’s clash, won 55-7 by Australia.

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans, who will name his team on Tuesday, is now faced with a selection headache after his No.6 last Saturday, Matt Hodgson, injured an AC joint, ruling him out for three weeks.

Dean Mumm is the most likely replacement at blindside flanker, with a regular openside such as Phil Waugh or David Pocock also a possibility to wear the No.6 jersey.

If Mumm gets the nod, the Brumbies’ Peter Kimlin would back up locks James Horwill and Nathan Sharpe from the bench.

Halfback Luke Burgess (hip) and winger Drew Mitchell (hamstring) only took part in light training today, but neither is considered doubtful.

Meanwhile, fit-again speedster Peter Hynes has reminded Deans his wing partnership with Lote Tuqiri would let no one down.

The Kiwi coach dropped Tuqiri from his first side of the winter but is a big fan of Hynes, who he rushed into a gold jersey last year and who is ready for selection after recovering from a knee injury.

Hynes knows he and Tuqiri have a tough challenge in deposing in-form Lachie Turner and Mitchell, but he says the 2008 pair could still offer plenty.

“Absolutely. I think we played pretty well as a back three (with Adam Ashley-Cooper) last year, I think we worked really well together,” he said today.

“(Tuqiri’s) certainly proved he’s a terrific defender and he’s always going to step up for the big games so having him on the other wing is certainly great from my point of view.

“But at the same time Drew and Lachie were exactly the same, if they’re out there they’ll do the job and they’re going to give it all as well.”

Hynes said Tuqiri had responded well to his demotion.

“I don’t think that by any means that he’s not in the plans,” he said.

“The Baa Baas game, it’s the first game of the year, I don’t think you can read too much into it.

“I think, knowing the player that he is, he will bounce back and I have no doubt that he’ll be playing a lot of games this year.”

Queenslander Hynes, who had knee surgery mid-season and missed a handful of the Reds’ Super 14 games, said he was ready to play but, like Tuqiri, isn’t counting on being named on Tuesday.

“I think there’s a tremendous amount of pressure on every winger at the moment, everyone seems to be playing pretty well and I don’t think I can take it for granted that the spot’s mine,” he said.

“I think I’ve got to go out and re-earn it if I get that chance.”

Possible Wallabies team: Adam Ashley-Cooper, Lachie Turner, Stirling Mortlock (capt), Berrick Barnes, Drew Mitchell, Matt Giteau, Luke Burgess, Richard Brown, George Smith, Dean Mumm, Nathan Sharpe, James Horwill, Al Baxter, Stephen Moore, Benn Robinson. Res: Tatafu Polota-Nau, Ben Alexander, Peter Kimlin, David Pocock, Josh Valentine, Quade Cooper, James O’Connor.

SYDNEY
    AAP

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ntentID=146665

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Hynes talks up Tuqiri pairing as Deans looks to name squad

8th June 2009, 13:45 WST

The Lote Tuqiri-Peter Hynes wing partnership would not let the Wallabies down, fit-again speedster Hynes has reminded coach Robbie Deans.

Deans will name his second Australian 22 of the winter on Tuesday ahead of Saturday night’s first Test against Italy in Canberra.

The Kiwi coach dropped Tuqiri from his first side, which demolished the Barbarians 55-7 at the Sydney Football Stadium last Saturday.

But Deans is a big fan of Hynes, who he rushed into a gold jersey last year and who is ready for selection after recovering from a knee injury.

Hynes knows he and Tuqiri have a tough challenge in deposing in-form Lachie Turner and Drew Mitchell, but he says the 2008 pairing could still offer plenty.

“Absolutely. I think we played pretty well as a back three (with Adam Ashley-Cooper) last year, I think we worked really well together,” he told AAP on Monday.

“(Tuqiri’s) certainly proved he’s a terrific defender and he’s always going to step up for the big games so having him on the other wing is certainly great from my point of view.

“But at the same time Drew and Lachie were exactly the same, if they’re out there they’ll do the job and they’re going to give it all as well.”

Hynes said Tuqiri had responded well to his demotion.

“I don’t think that by any means that he’s not in the plans,” he said.

“The Baa Baas game, it’s the first game of the year, I don’t think you can read too much into it.

“I think, knowing the player that he is, he will bounce back and I have no doubt that he’ll be playing a lot of games this year.”

Queenslander Hynes, who had knee surgery mid-season and missed a handful of the Reds’ Super 14 games, declared himself ready to resume playing.

“I’m looking to do a full week (of training) this week and be available for selection,” he said.

But, like Tuqiri, he isn’t counting on being named on Tuesday.

“I think there’s a tremendous amount of pressure on every winger at the moment, everyone seems to be playing pretty well and I don’t think I can take it for granted that the spot’s mine,” he said.

“I think I’ve got to go out and re-earn it if I get that chance.”

Whether or not he does will depend on Deans and fellow selectors Jim Williams and David Nucifora’s mindset heading into the two-match series with Italy.

Deans has kept his cards close to his chest on whether he will have a look at some different faces this weekend or stick with good form.

If he goes for form, fullback Adam Ashley-Cooper is likely to keep James O’Connor on the bench for another week, while David Pocock could send Phil Waugh back to club rugby.

A fit Rocky Elsom (knee) is almost certain to replace Matt Hodgson (shoulder) at blindside flanker but, if Elsom is ruled out, Dean Mumm, Waugh and Pocock will come into calculations.

If Mumm gets the nod, Peter Kimlin would be the back-up lock.

One player hoping he will get another crack at the Azzurri is benchman Quade Cooper, who scored an electrifying try on debut in Padua last year.

Possible Wallabies team: Adam Ashley-Cooper, Lachie Turner, Stirling Mortlock (capt), Berrick Barnes, Drew Mitchell, Matt Giteau, Luke Burgess, Richard Brown, George Smith, Rocky Elsom, Nathan Sharpe, James Horwill, Al Baxter, Stephen Moore, Benn Robinson. Res: Tatafu Polota-Nau, Ben Alexander, Dean Mumm, David Pocock, Josh Valentine, Quade Cooper, James O’Connor.

SYDNEY
    AAP

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ntentID=146644

vCash
    Do we know if hodgson isn't considered because he is still injured or is this Eastern States musho again - I thought Hodgson had a fantastic debut

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Severe bone bruising around the knee can take up to several months to heal. Similar type of injuries often occur to gayfl players.

We don't need Rocky until mid July at the earliest.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "Wallabies coach Robbie Deans, who will name his team on Tuesday, is now faced with a selection headache after his No.6 last Saturday, Matt Hodgson, injured an AC joint, ruling him out for three weeks"

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Have I missed something? I thought it was Hodgson's shoulder that was injured with a 3 to 4 week lay-off likely unfortunate for him because Deans will be less likely to give him a crack at the Springboks or All Blacks.

Elsom has a bruised shin and I think they were talking about him being back to face France.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Headache hardly... pick Kimlin and get on with the job...

vCash
    Kimlin you have to be joking, surely Waugh, Pockock and Mumm while out of position would be a better bet, lets not forget that your Brumbies started him on the bench for the early part of the season now you want him to start for the wallabies have you got your Brumby and / or Phil Kearns blinkers on?

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    No Tazzi... Kimlin would be on the Bench, Mum on he field... No Waugh, i'd have Pocock..

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Oh god what in the world is happening I agree with muddy's posts on two separate threads In all seriousness Kimlin is a bloody good player who was everywhere for the Brumbies this year. The sooner we develop these players without sacrificing competitiveness the better off Australian Rugby will be at the world cup and all games henceforth. We finally have a situation where there is avid competition for all spots in the team!!

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    just start drinking... it wont seem so bad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Have I missed something? I thought it was Hodgson's shoulder that was injured with a 3 to 4 week lay-off likely
    The AC joint is in the shoulder