Thread: Fava Returns and O'Young to Start Against The Stormers

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Fava Returns and O'Young to Start Against The Stormers

Fava Returns and O'Young to Start Against The Stormers

from Rugby WA

Vice captain Scott Fava returns to the Emirates Western Force line-up and deputy scrumhalf Chris O'Young will start for the first time in Friday night's clash against the Stormers.

Fava missed last week's game against the Bulls after suffering a nasty head-knock in the Commonwealth Games. But the powerful Number 8 has been given medical clearance to play and will resume his position at the back of the scrum.

After coming off the bench for all six Tooheys New Super 14 games this year, Chris O'Young will makes his run-on debut for the Emirates Western Force.

Also starting for the first time in the ocean blue is prop Angus Scott, who performed well during the 30 minutes he played against the Bulls last Saturday, while Brendan Cannon returns to the 15 after a bout of gastroenteritis.

Exciting outside back, Gavin DeBartolo - who also made his Super 14 debut last week - remains in the 22, while flyhalf Scott Daruda returns to the squad.

Emirates Western Force coach John Mitchell welcomed the return of Scott Fava and applauded the efforts of stand-in Number 8 Richard Brown, who now switches to the openside flank ahead of Matt Hodgson.

"Richard Brown is deserving of selection based on his recent performances - he'll bring more presence against the likes of Schalk Burger," Mitchell said.

Mitchell also praised the efforts of Matt Henjak, who moves to the bench for Chris O'Young.

"We always promised Chris a starting opportunity in our inaugural year and it's important we honour that promise," he said.

"I am very happy with Matt's progress. People need to appreciate that it's his first full year of a starting role at scrumhalf and, when he did play last year, it was inside the experienced Stephen Larkham. He is still developing his game and his leadership."

"Matt is an outstanding team member both on and off the field."

Mitchell said the Stormers had an international midfield and a mobile pack - a team with plenty of threats.

"They are a very mobile team, probably the most mobile of the South African sides, with a variety of skills," he said.

"They also have an impressive coaching unit in Kobus Van Der Merwe and former Springboks coach, Nick Mallett."

The squad is:
    1. Gareth Hardy
    2. Brendan Cannon
    3. Angus Scott
    4. John Welborn
    5. Nathan Sharpe ( c )
    6. Luke Doherty
    7. Richard Brown
    8. Scott Fava
    9. Chris O'Young
    10. James Hilgendorf
    11. Digby Ioane
    12. Scott Staniforth
    13. Josh Graham
    14. Haig Sare
    15. Cameron Shepherd

16. Tai McIsaac
    17. David Fitter
    18. David Pusey
    19. Matt Hodgson
    20. Matt Henjak
    21. Scott Daruda
    22. Gavin DeBartolo

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Well, some of you, including O'Young I'm sure will get your wish when the Force run out this weekend. Either way we will know what O'Young is made of and find out how strong a character Henjak is by his response to being benched.
    Great to see an otherwise unchanged backline as this will help the players to gel straight from the kick off.
    A massive boost to the forwards with the return of both Cannon and Fava to the staring lineup.
    Well done to Angus Scott getting his debut start after sitting out the first half of the season.
    Also further aknowledgement of the rise of Richard Brown keeping out regular Matt Hodgson, although I think we can expect a huge bench game from Hodgson in the second half.
    Pre-game I imagine the discussion will rightly be revolving around the "wake up call" to both Henjak and Fitter and how they will take their medicine.
    Even with familiar names from earlier losses, this is starting to read as a fairly decent XV now that there is some S14 experience in the playing group.
    Hilgendorf will be a marked man now that the Stormers are aware of his skills and will have a huge task staying in front of Burger from the scrum base. A key to this game will be how Hilgendorf copes with the extra attention and in many ways this performance will determine his Force role in the future.
    Isn't it just such a great thing for Australian Rugby that in this squad there are probably sixteen players who would be playing the first round of Grade Rugby in Sydney or Brisbane this weekend, or overseas, if it hadn't been for the formation of our Western Force?!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Well, some of you, including O'Young I'm sure will get your wish when the Force run out this weekend. Either way we will know what O'Young is made of and find out how strong a character Henjak is by his response to being benched.

Snipped!

Isn't it just such a great thing for Australian Rugby that in this squad there are probably sixteen players who would be playing the first round of Grade Rugby in Sydney or Brisbane this weekend, or overseas, if it hadn't been for the formation of our Western Force?!

And so say all of us!

As to the first part: I've been one of Henjaks critics and although I don't wish him ill, there's such a thing as loyalty to your bench as well, to the other blokes who also came West looking for an opportunity to show what they've got. The former Wallaby coach didn't always get that part and Whits ended up with the biggest arse full of splinters you've ever seen for such a talented player. I hope Jak responds the right way. Good luck to O'Young.

Roll on Friday.

vCash
    it's good to here O'Young is gonna get a run on he's lokkin good on the paddock!!! But of more concern, i really feel that this is THE WEEK... we will have our first win on friday!!!!! the worst thing is that we have to play on saturday, and i promised my mates that if we win at home it's gonna be an all niter!!! But hey you gotta do what you gotta do!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    You wouldn't be the first bloke to play with a mung hangover Gunner...and probably not the first for you either
    Welcome aboard mate and here's hoping you have the filthiest hangover imaginable on Saturday morning! You will be in good company I'm sure if it is for our first win.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Apprentice
    vCash
    With these changes we should be a better than even money chance of breaking the drought.

vCash
    Cheers for the update Burgs... I watched the channel 7 (and 9) sports news tonight in the hope that there would be some mention of the game and the team etc... not even a whisper that the game was happening... it was 75% AFL and then cricket and then the "that's all in sport tonight". I think it really sux how the media can be so controlling! (sigh)...
    But on a positive note I was impressed that channel 10 took the time (@ 5:45pm on Tues nite) to show an interview with John Mitchell and give the Force some focus....
    Gotta keep fighting! Carn the Force!

vCash
    htdb - channel 10 and the ABC only ones to watch - forget 7 and 9!

vCash
    Channel 7 are useless. Their "news" is basically taken up with that Basil tosser going on about some footballer stubbing his toe at training.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by niggle
    Channel 7 are useless. Their "news" is basically taken up with that Basil tosser going on about some footballer stubbing his toe at training.
    hahaha, I take it your not a footy fan niggle.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    its not THAT obvious is it?

vCash
    BTW, not a basil fan either.

vCash
    O'Young deserves his chance to start. He only got 10 mins last week. Both Fitter and Henjak are paying for giving away too many penalties.

For depth purposes, the reserve scrum half has to start some games to get that practice in , for when the first scrum half is injured. JMitchell has pulled the right rein.

Force need a 'stock in trade' half, now that the backline has stabilised.