Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Elsom tipped to sign new $900k package

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Elsom tipped to sign new $900k package

Josh Rakic | May 31, 2009

STAR flanker Rocky Elsom is poised to become one of Australian rugby's richest earners, with a pay packet of up to $900,000 a season if he commits to a new deal to return to Australia.

Rugby circles were abuzz last week with unconfirmed reports Elsom had signed for the ACT Brumbies. Western Force star James O'Connor could follow him.

Their presence, allied with Matt Giteau's decision to play there, would ensure two-time Super competition champions had one of the most dangerous sides in Super 14.

Heineken Cup-winning forward Elsom is yet to put pen to paper on an ARU or a Super rugby contract, but it would appear the lengthy negotiations have worked in his favour after he was crowned man of the match for the 11th time of the season in Leinster's high-profile win over Leicester last weekend.

The former Wallaby was reportedly told by ARU officials last year that he didn't rank on their list of the world's best six flankers and was offered a Wallabies contract worth $250,000. Elsom signed with Leinster for an estimated $800,000.

In damaging form and after making no secret of his willingness to stay abroad, Elsom was offered a huge amount to remain in Dublin, a development that prompted the ARU to up the ante.

It's believed the ARU has offered the giant 26-year-old a guaranteed $450,000-a-season deal, plus payments of $11,000 a match which could boost his international earnings alone to $600,000.

Added to this, The Sun-Herald understands Elsom stands to make at least $250,000 a season in Super wages and third-party agreements, while he would also receive a minimum $3000 a game.

Despite reports, Elsom has not agreed to terms with the ACT Brumbies and the Reds are also hopeful of snaring his signature after offering the former Waratah a base salary believed to be $150,000 a season plus $100,000 in third-party payments.

With Waratahs skipper Phil Waugh currently in France on tour with Elsom in the Barbarians squad, Tahs insiders are quietly confident Elsom could return to Sydney, where he's alligned with premier rugby club Randwick.

Elsom has a reputation for dragging out his contract negotiations, having last year taken so long over his ARU release-and-return criteria that an oversight led to him not signing a contract.

He has the option to remain overseas despite being released by the ARU strictly for one year on compassionate grounds.

Elsom this week told newspaper the Irish Examiner he wanted to return to Australia but still hadn't finalised a deal.

"I've spoken at length with the Australian management about moving back. It's just about finalising things now. I'm going to try and head back to Australia," he said.

Elsom will play for the Barbarians against Australia in Saturday's Test at the Sydney Football Stadium and, no matter which Super club he signs with, the ARU are desperate to keep the Queenslander on Australian soil. The ARU did not return calls yesterday.

Meanwhile, James O'Connor is all but a certainty to leave Western Australian for the Waratahs or Brumbies next season after approaching Sydney Premier Rugby club Randwick for a Shute Shield contract, effective immediately.

Part of Robbie Deans's 29-man Wallabies squad, O'Connor is believed to be seeking permanent accommodation on the eastern beaches, adding to speculation he may join the Waratahs to team with Wallabies backline stars Lote Tuqiri, Timana Taha, Drew Mitchell, Luke Burgess and Lachie Turner.

Force team-mate and Wallabies flanker David Pocock is also looking to move to Sydney, at least for the Super 14 off-season.

The talented No.7 is close to terms with the Galloping Greens. He has one more season to run on his two-year deal with the Force in Perth. Randwick are confident of snaring his signature during the week when he arrives in Sydney to join the Wallabies camp. If he does so is likely to join Elsom and other rugby stars at a Gallopping Greens' luncheon on Friday.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...e#contentSwap1

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Pocock at Randwick. Fanastic. He's a quality player going to a quality and historical rich team. I am biased. I played for the Galloping Greens.

vCash
    Meanwhile, James O'Connor is all but a certainty to leave Western Australian for the Waratahs or Brumbies next season after approaching Sydney Premier Rugby club Randwick for a Shute Shield contract, effective immediately.
    Force team-mate and Wallabies flanker David Pocock is also looking to move to Sydney, at least for the Super 14 off-season.
    You think Oconnor may just be doing the same as pocock, securing a sydney club for the off season????

"The only trophy we won this day, was the blood and sweat we left on the pitch.... and it was enough"

"Rugby may have many problems, but the gravest is undoubtedly that of the persistence of summer."
    Chris Laidlaw, New Zealand rugby player and sportswriter. Mud in Your Eye: A Worm's Eye View of the Changing World of Rugby (I 973).

vCash
    Well off season Shute shield is good... As for Tahs or Brumbies players from both squads play in the Shute shield... So who knows...

With Elsom I don't think the Brumbies sponsors have much more to hand out in third party payments… nevertheless the Brumbies will offer him the maximum S14 player deal inline with ARU protocols... He will still be on 750,000 plus any extras. Elsom biggest obstacle with third party deals is he doesn’t have a manager to represent him here in Australia. This makes any possible arrangements in a short period of time difficult….

Player
    vCash
    O'Connor should. If Pocock goes to Randwick he will join player's of the ilk of Hoiles and Elsom plus a number of recent Super players and former Wallaby greats. However conversely it would be great if these players could stay in Perth and play in the KWIK Cup to help elevate its standard to that of the Shute Shield. From all descriptions I have been able to gather it currently runs at about the second grade level back East. Getting it up to the Shute Shield level should be a priority.

vCash
    Hmm a lot of figures being thrown about - and as many ifs and buts, Muddy who is underwriting all this Brumbie Stuff - they must be up to $5 million by now - I know Kevin 747 is generous but when I was there I didn't get the impression that there was much real money there.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Mm the figures make me think I should have had a sex change and played rugby for a living...seems to be a lot more fun and better paid than anything I'll be qualified to do...

Again we are seeing an article with minimal quotes from the people involved. I'm quite sure the Brumbies would through as much as they were able to at Rocky, but if they truly are still hanging out for O'Connor, you would have to think that with some of the players they're already funding (including Gits) they wouldn't have a lot of cash in the bank to play with. I would be inclined to think they'll have to make a decision on who is more valuable to them r who they are more likely to get, and the way they are speaking it sounds like they're putting their eggs into Rocky's basket.

For my part i'd love to see him back in Australia. He does sound like he is making negotiations perhaps unnecessarily long but then if the ARU had told me I wasn't rated as a flanker and offered me $250,000 I'd probably want to make them pay a little bit this time around. Even so, he should be careful because I get the feeling he's going to piss some too many people off at some point.

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Player
    vCash
    Rock will get something up in the 900k range. The Tahs desperately want him and if they want to they could put forth a very strong offer. Tuqiri is on roughly 1.3m/year. Rock is a far valuable player and should generate a similar price.

---------- Post added at 12:26 ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 ----------

O'Connor is supposedly looking at residence in Sydney. Not good news for the Force.

Last edited by Jehna; 31-05-09 at 12:31. Reason: Double posting

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna View Post
    Mm the figures make me think I should have had a sex change and played rugby for a living....
    Forget the rugby. The best part is getting to write your name in the snow. Not too many opportunities to do that in Perth though.

I wouldn't be too worried about O'Connor looking at a residence in Sydney. It seems too unlikely (not impossible) that he would join the Tahs simply because their ingrained playing style is the polar opposite of his own. I'd figure its more to do with the fact that he'll spend 6 months or more out of a year in or around Sydney for Wallabies training camps or Wallabies games or playing Shute Shield (which unfortunately is better for his development than the WA comp). The optimist in me says too much is being read into a logical decision to look at residences and the fact that he's signing up for a Shute Shield team makes perfect sense in that he plays club rugby on his weeks off for his own development and because its the closest rugby competition to where he will be based for the Wallabies. Just as BaldC says same with Pocock. They won't play every test and so they need to keep their fitness up and their skills sharp.

If I was O'Connor I'd see out 2010 with the Force and then stay on if I was still happy or move on if it isn't working out. With the changes likely to come into place with the new competition stuff in 2011 it would be good to be off contract so you can see what is going to happen and where you would be better placed.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Why wouldn't JO'C be looking to sign on with a Shute Shield team? He's covering himself for the future. Its likely that he won't be in every single Wallabies game and while they're playing in Sydney he may as well use the opportunity to play in a locally (to Wallabies training camp) based more competitive competition than coming back to play in the Premier Grade games over here. Also, if he gets injured (heaven forbid) during next year's Super14 season he can play in the Shute Shield during his recovery until he is fit to play for the Force again. He wouldn't be the first player to that. Boof Hardy played a few games over there during the season, as did a few others who were either recovering from injury or weren't selected in the 22. Same deal with Pocock, just because he is playing in the Shute Shield at the moment doesn't mean he is going to walk out on his contract to move to the Tahs and be stuck on the bench behinf Phil Waugh (not because Waugh is a better player but because the Tahs would never drop him unless he was injured).

Buying a house there or looking at buying a house there isn't that outrageous. He's signing a contract woth atleast a couple of hundred thousand dollars and, as an 18 year old, not many people have access to that much money at this stage in their life. It makes sense for him to buy a house and set himself up for the future. If he doesn't invest the money it will only sit in the bank or get p*ssed up the wall or be spent on menial things that won't last. He also provides himself with somewhere to stay or for his parents/mates to stay while he's playing over there. Just because he's buying a house doesn't mean he's moving there. Heck, Gits has a house here still but that doesn't mean he's going to walk out on the Brumbies and move back here next year!!

No offence to the bloke that wrote it, but the whole thing is stupid. There's nothing conclusive written except that Rocky says he wants to move back to Australia. That's not a new development in his career, he's been saying that for ages, before he even left he said he wanted to come back. Must have been a slow news day...

Last edited by laura; 31-05-09 at 14:35.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    Hmm a lot of figures being thrown about - and as many ifs and buts, Muddy who is underwriting all this Brumbie Stuff - they must be up to $5 million by now - I know Kevin 747 is generous but when I was there I didn't get the impression that there was much real money there.
    Twaddle... I’m underwriting zero, The-deluded-one… Focus on the points not sending me a salvo.. The Brumbies don't buy players like the Force & third party friends, these players actually want to come onboard with reasonable agreements…

A little tip… Engage the article and put forward a rational reflective response… as I’m beginning to thinking you’re under water here…

---------- Post added at 16:39 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

the Western Force really need to start spendng their dollars in real terms and not inflating player values... invest in the MES invest in your academy , onvest in your Assistant coaches... Invest in your training falcilities...

It strikes me that, The Western Force really need to start spending their dollars in real terms and not inflating player values... So invest in the MES, invest in your player academy; invest in your Assistant coaches and Invest in your training facilities...

IF Rocky wants to be a S14 Champion/Contender he will sign with the Brumbies... If he wants the cash and play for the Wallabies for will sign with the tahs or Reds... What I don't get is why is not considering going with the force for 2010...

Last edited by mudskipper; 31-05-09 at 16:46.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Twaddle... I’m underwriting zero, The-deluded-one… Focus on the points not sending me a salvo.. The Brumbies don't buy players like the Force & third party friends, these players actually want to come onboard with reasonable agreements…
    The brumbies don't buy players? No because Giteau & Valentine weren't bought to play there and the Brumbies aren't throwing large sums of money at Rocky at JO'C. Its a bit ironic to call TQ1 deluded!!

Quote Originally Posted by muddskipper
    A little tip… Engage the article and put forward a rational reflective response… as I’m beginning to thinking you’re under water here…

Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper
    the Western Force really need to start spendng their dollars in real terms and not inflating player values... invest in the MES invest in your academy , onvest in your Assistant coaches... Invest in your training falcilities...

It strikes me that, The Western Force really need to start spending their dollars in real terms and not inflating player values... So invest in the MES, invest in your player academy; invest in your Assistant coaches and Invest in your training facilities...

IF Rocky wants to be a S14 Champion/Contender he will sign with the Brumbies... If he wants the cash and play for the Wallabies for will sign with the tahs or Reds... What I don't get is why is not considering going with the force for 2010...
    Inflating players...because the likes of Pocock, Brown, Hodgson, Cowan, Cross, Shepherd and Sharpe (all Wallabies in 2009 and all contracted at the Force for 2010) are not all worth every cent they are payed? You're off your trolley muddy!! There is far more value in these players than you give them credit for and I dare say they are worth more to Australian rugby than they are payed. If you chose to ignore that then more fool you.

vCash
    Giteau's had a third party to get him back which was less than what the Force was offering but he still signed with the Brumbies... But Valentine signed for market value only and not great amounts of cause.... Rocky y wont be offered great amounts either and I believe the same is for JOC.....

Laura... you have NO foot hold to base your argument on... If you think the Brumbies paid more for the players than what is on offer from your Force, unfortunately mistaken they paid LESS.... perhaps you should question why they didn't re-sign with the Force for MORE.... then you may find the answer you're looking for...JM...

vCash

---------- Post added at 16:39 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

who are you trying to kid Muddy?

How quickly you seem to have forgotten the third-party trash been thrown around to lure Giteau back home

vCash
    Giteau's had a third party to get him back which was less than what the Force was offering but he still signed with the Brumbies... But Valentine signed for market value only and not great amounts of cause.... Rocky y wont be offered great amounts either and I believe the same is for JOC.....
    And of course they only offered Giteau the minimum and a residence in Canberra was the deciding factor? I think not! Was there not recently an article quoting Giteau saying he regretted being so hasty to make the decision to leave the Force...

Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper
    Laura... you have NO foot hold to base your argument on... If you think the Brumbies paid more for the players than what is on offer from your Force, unfortunately mistaken they paid LESS.... perhaps you should question why they didn't re-sign with the Force for MORE.... then you may find the answer you're looking for...JM...
    I bloody well do have a foot hold to base my arguement on. Valentine openly declared how much he wanted to stay in Perth and at the Force, the fact that got the Brumbies over the line was the money. He didn't leave for the sunny beachside location on offer in Canberra.
    Yes Giteau is an exception, he did take a pay cut to return to the Brumbies, but as I just said he has admitted to regretfully making his decision so early in the season. (When I find the article I will post a link)

FFS not everything is down to John Mitchell. Get a grip. When the likes of Giteau et al signed they ALL knew that John Mitchell would be the coach, if they had such a problem with him they wouldn't have signed to begin with. No money is worth being miserable for 3 years and if they didn't like JM then, then its their own stupidity for signing on in the first place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast