Thread: Crikey: The most remarkable recruitment drive

vCash

Thumbs up Crikey: The most remarkable recruitment drive

Should all the chips fall the right way, the Brumbies could be just about to pull off the most remarkable recruitment drive since the franchises inception.

Many would say that they already had one of the best squads in Australia, with World XV players like Mortlock, George Smith and Stephen Moore backed up by talents like Ashley-Cooper, Tyrone Smith, Ben Alexander, Mark Chisholm and Peter Kimlin to name but a few. A squad that only just fell short of the finals.

However, with the signing of Matt Giteau - Australia’s most talented back and perhaps the World’s form 10 - they have done far more than plug an experience hole at pivot, they have reached a tipping point of desirability that other players are finding hard to resist. With Giteau came Wallaby Josh Valentine, and now the rumour mill has it that Europe’s finest, Rocky Elsom, and the future of Australian rugby, James O’Connor, are also interested.

It’s understandable. With Giteau, that Brumbies team, together with the experienced and no-nonsense guidance of Andy Friend and Melon Finegan, has ‘winning’ written all over it. Chuck in Elsom and O’Connor and you could put the team in Wallaby jerseys quite happily.

Think of it from Elsom’s viewpoint; “I’ve won the Heineken Cup, what’s left to do outside of internationals, and where am I most likely to do it?” Assume the money’s about the same as any other state (for an Elsom it’s the ARU portion of their contract that makes the big difference), and all of a sudden Andy Friend’s meagre budget is no longer the main sticking point.

But then the rest of us start asking; “is it right and fair for one state to have all this talent?”

Well, by current rules, it’s definitely fair. Friend, Fagan et al have simply been rewarded for excellent recruitment strategy. Within little time they’ve built the right culture and team and then targeted the right marquee player in Giteau, whom other players all respect on for his impact for the team. Not one expensive league conversion, for example. The rest has followed from that.

But is it right? Should one franchise have all that talent? Is this good for Australian rugby? What about the Force - losing Giteau, Valentine and potentially O’Connor - and the Reds seeming to lose a potential saviour in Elsom? Both teams struggled for mid-table or worse this year, what could next year possibly offer? And what if/when we get another team in 2011, won’t this just dilute the talent in the other sides even more?

They were my initial fears. But with another Super 14 season and no Australian winner, I’m coming to the viewpoint that this could be the best thing for Australian rugby overall.

Good ol days
    The last time we had a Super 14 dominating team, we also had a Tri-Nations and World beating one (see table at bottom). While there’s a chicken and egg argument here, there’s no doubt that combinations like Jeremy Paul, David Giffin, Gregan (inside flick to Finegan), Larkham and Roff, practised week in week out in Super 12, transferred themselves onto the international paddock.

On top of that, and perhaps more importantly, is what comes with knowing how to win. Doing it at Super rugby with (and against) the same blokes no doubt breeds an invaluable culture. Just look at the Crusaders, who are still living on it this year, even with many of the cattle gone.

So, if you’re not a Brumbies fan, all of this talent in one spot might be daunting. But I’d rather have any one Australian side dominating the comptetition, and transferring that to the Wallabies, than more of what we had this year; mediocrity.

Possible (negotiations pending) Brumbies 2010 XV

15. James O’Connor, 14. Adam Ashley-Cooper, 13. Stirling Mortlock, 12. Tyrone Smith, 11. Francis Fainifo, 10. Matt Giteau, 9. Josh Valentine, 8. Stephen Hoiles (c), 7. George Smith, 6. Rocky Elsom, 5. Peter Kimlin, 4. Mark Chisholm, 3. Guy Shepardson, 2. Stephen Moore, 1. Ben Alexander

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/chappell/...-good-for-all/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Brumbies 2010: is their greed good for all?

May 27, 2009 – 8:41 pm, by Matt Gagger
    Matt Gagger is editor at Green and Gold Rugby.com

Should all the chips fall the right way, the Brumbies could be just about to pull off the most remarkable recruitment drive since the franchises inception.

Many would say that they already had one of the best squads in Australia, with World XV players like Mortlock, George Smith and Stephen Moore backed up by talents like Ashley-Cooper, Tyrone Smith, Ben Alexander, Mark Chisholm and Peter Kimlin to name but a few. A squad that only just fell short of the finals.

However, with the signing of Matt Giteau - Australia’s most talented back and perhaps the World’s form 10 - they have done far more than plug an experience hole at pivot, they have reached a tipping point of desirability that other players are finding hard to resist. With Giteau came Wallaby Josh Valentine, and now the rumour mill has it that Europe’s finest, Rocky Elsom, and the future of Australian rugby, James O’Connor, are also interested.

It’s understandable. With Giteau, that Brumbies team, together with the experienced and no-nonsense guidance of Andy Friend and Melon Finegan, has ‘winning’ written all over it. Chuck in Elsom and O’Connor and you could put the team in Wallaby jerseys quite happily.

Think of it from Elsom’s viewpoint; “I’ve won the Heineken Cup, what’s left to do outside of internationals, and where am I most likely to do it?” Assume the money’s about the same as any other state (for an Elsom it’s the ARU portion of their contract that makes the big difference), and all of a sudden Andy Friend’s meagre budget is no longer the main sticking point.

But then the rest of us start asking; “is it right and fair for one state to have all this talent?”

Well, by current rules, it’s definitely fair. Friend, Fagan et al have simply been rewarded for excellent recruitment strategy. Within little time they’ve built the right culture and team and then targeted the right marquee player in Giteau, whom other players all respect on for his impact for the team. Not one expensive league conversion, for example. The rest has followed from that.

But is it right? Should one franchise have all that talent? Is this good for Australian rugby? What about the Force - losing Giteau, Valentine and potentially O’Connor - and the Reds seeming to lose a potential saviour in Elsom? Both teams struggled for mid-table or worse this year, what could next year possibly offer? And what if/when we get another team in 2011, won’t this just dilute the talent in the other sides even more?

They were my initial fears. But with another Super 14 season and no Australian winner, I’m coming to the viewpoint that this could be the best thing for Australian rugby overall.

Good ol days
    The last time we had a Super 14 dominating team, we also had a Tri-Nations and World beating one (see table at bottom). While there’s a chicken and egg argument here, there’s no doubt that combinations like Jeremy Paul, David Giffin, Gregan (inside flick to Finegan), Larkham and Roff, practised week in week out in Super 12, transferred themselves onto the international paddock.

On top of that, and perhaps more importantly, is what comes with knowing how to win. Doing it at Super rugby with (and against) the same blokes no doubt breeds an invaluable culture. Just look at the Crusaders, who are still living on it this year, even with many of the cattle gone.

So, if you’re not a Brumbies fan, all of this talent in one spot might be daunting. But I’d rather have any one Australian side dominating the comptetition, and transferring that to the Wallabies, than more of what we had this year; mediocrity.

Possible (negotiations pending) Brumbies 2010 XV

15. James O’Connor, 14. Adam Ashley-Cooper, 13. Stirling Mortlock, 12. Tyrone Smith, 11. Francis Fainifo, 10. Matt Giteau, 9. Josh Valentine, 8. Stephen Hoiles (c), 7. George Smith, 6. Rocky Elsom, 5. Peter Kimlin, 4. Mark Chisholm, 3. Guy Shepardson, 2. Stephen Moore, 1. Ben Alexander

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/chappell/...-good-for-all/
    Good im the tooth fairy! What a crock of shite.

vCash
    Well, by current rules, it’s definitely fair. Friend, Fagan et al have simply been rewarded for excellent recruitment strategy.

hmmm And what strategy would that be? Obviously something the other teams are not onto....

vCash
    You know what, seeing that team on paper doesn't worry me too much...sure it'd be nice to have Gits and O'Connor still at the Force, but to be perfectly honest, that team will be stuffed in two or three years time when their slew of old Wallabies decide to retire. Let's take the pack for starters, Shephredson, Moore and Alexander Well Moore and Alexander would probably hang around for a while, but Shepherdson is done, gone, never to be repeated.....doesn't matter what Bill Young says. It starts to get worse when you look at the second row....Ignore the thought that Chis would be likely to seek a release if Rocky comes, he's hardly a regular Wallaby right now and would likely be looking for his european superannuation soon, Kimlin don't really got game and could stay at the Brumbs forever, he won't be a top class lock. Backrow, we see Rocky and Georgie, both walk up starters for the Wallabies, but how long will they last beyond the World Cup? Rocky has also shown a desire to go for the big pay cheque and George would surely be tired by then, They're accompanied by the number 3 choice in the #8 jersey, While Hoiles is a good player, I'd have to think that he's not going to play a lot of Wallabies games in the future.

The backline has tome real talent, and isn't as old as the pack, but how long will they stay.....Sure you'll have Gits, Valentine, Mortlock until the next world cup, but I can see Valo and Stirlo hanging up the boots shortly after, Ashley-cooper in 14, you missed the boat with that call Gagger, a 14 need speed. Fainifo is young, but pretty untried and Tyrone Smith strikes me as a bit of a Junior, rather than a Giteau......so......assuming the buy-fest continues, who will the Brums have in 2012, Gits, O'Connor and Moore, I reckon, they'll be rebuilding worse than the Force are right now!

I kinda think the Reds have it right, with a young mob who will develop into a team with some loyalty, and won't cost the earthwhilst they learn their trade....The Force are in a similar (but not as extreme) position. I reckon the future's bright, but I do think O'Connor is key to us!

C'mon the

vCash
    Hypothetically that's a DAMN good team on paper...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Huge pressure though - if a team like that didn't win it would have to throw their Wallabies credentials into serious question. There is certainly no way that Deans would "put the team in Wallaby jerseys" if they had failed at provincial level.

vCash
    I hope Brumbies management sack Andy Friend if he doesn't a Super 14 Championship with that team

Even if the Brumbies don't pick up JO'C

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goony View Post
    Oh yeah, I wasn't disputing that, but it'd be a bastard of a team to keep together, Can you imagine what the Brums would look like after the next World Cup when everybody in their team retires or goes overseas and the remainder have 15 minutes of SUper Rugby between them?

You'd reckon they'd have learned from the Gregan/Larkham retirement.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Oh yeah, I wasn't disputing that, but it'd be a bastard of a team to keep together, Can you imagine what the Brums would look like after the next World Cup when everybody in their team retires or goes overseas and the remainder have 15 minutes of SUper Rugby between them?

You'd reckon they'd have learned from the Gregan/Larkham retirement.
    The Brumbies factory is still working fine GIGS… with plenty of talent engaging the Brumbies work ethic and getting on with the job at hand their eyes on 2011 opportunities… Nonetheless thanks for your heartfelt trepidation.... its rather touching and you not even a Brumbies supporter…. Well at least you can enjoy watching them in raptures while they whip teams for a few years until 2011 season is over.... By then the Force will have waxed and waved off their esteemed coach along with his little black cloud but I’m sure you’ll still be signing his mid table praises in 2011... But Then the Force can begin to turn it around that will make you smile and perhaps the MEs will have a backyard reno done on it by then... Melbourne will up and running by then… Something to look forward to as a Force supporter... So I guess you'll need to bring on some local talent through your revered WA academy... or sign some wash up leagueys....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Nonetheless thanks for your heartfelt trepidation.... its rather touching and you not even a Brumbies supporter….
    now thats irony

vCash
    to be honest, i would rather see a winning team built rather then bought, you get much more satisfaction from developing a team rather then buying one..

a team of champions does not always mean a champion team!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    you get much more satisfaction from developing a team rather then buying one..

Funny innit? That's the type of line the troll used to run when he first emerged from under his bridge. Now he's defending the opposite.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    It appears the Force are going to show us all have to develop a team... as no one seen to be signing recently…

vCash
    Quick - somebody gaff him.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goony View Post

only if they all get along....