Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brumbies still chasing dream signatures

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Brumbies still chasing dream signatures

May 26, 2009 - 7:07PM

The Brumbies are set to put together what would be a Super rugby dream team by signing Rocky Elsom and James O'Connor as the last two players on their roster.

With the Brumbies expected to finalise contracts with a number of existing players shortly, just two spots will still be up for grabs in the Brumbies' 2010 roster, including one in the backline and another in the back row.

Those two spots have been reserved for Elsom and O'Connor.

While Elsom is rumoured to have agreed to terms, Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan said a deal had not yet been finalised.

"He's obviously moving a little closer to making a decision ... he knows what our position is," Fagan said on Tuesday.

"He's over here next week, obviously coming to play in that (Barbarians) game and I would suggest it may not be until then, that he wouldn't make a decision until he's actually in the country."

"There's no scheduled meeting at this stage."

O'Connor is expected to make a decision within the next two weeks but is tipped to follow Matt Giteau and Josh Valentine to Canberra.

"We've spoken to his manager a few times and he's indicated to us he's probably a few weeks away from making a decision," Fagan said.

"We're comfortable with that and said we'd let him know if we needed an answer because of other discussions but we're not at that point yet."

The addition of Elsom and O'Connor, as well as Giteau, to a roster that already includes Wallabies Stirling Mortlock, George Smith and Stephen Moore, would go a long way to cementing the Brumbies as Australia's strongest provincial team.

"They're obviously weighing up what options are available to them and they'll make the decision in their time," Fagan said.

The signings would take the Brumbies squad to 31 and closer to their target of 30 which they have to meet by the end of next season under Australian Rugby Union guidelines.

The 31st position, however, belongs to Julian Huxley whose playing future remains uncertain after he underwent brain surgery last year to remove a tumour.
    "We're on target to be at 30 or 31," Fagan said.

He said a final decision on Huxley's future was yet to be made.

"We just really need to sit down - and we haven't got a scheduled time - with some people from the ARU and Julian's management to talk through where we are at and what he needs to do in order to gain the necessary approvals to resume playing.

"I imagine we'll sit down over the course of the next month or so and work out what needs to be done."

The existing players yet to re-sign include prop Guy Shepherdson, lock Mark Chisholm, back-rowers Mitchell Chapman and Peter Kimlin and wingers Francis Fanifo and Afusipa Taumoepeau.

Most are considered done deals but Chapman is likely to be shown the door if Elsom signs.

© 2009 AAP

http://news.rugbyheaven.com.au/break...0526-blxp.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    O'Connor is staying here - you'd think they would have worked out why he is not returning their calls by now ....

vCash
    Keep dreaming.

EDIT keep dreaming at the Brumbies, not at Coach. I just looked at the thread and what I'd written looked very rude.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    give huxley the 30th spot if the ARU allows him to play again.
    he stuck it out with them from a coaching posistion so he could one day play again. i'd love to see him realise this goal

vCash
    interesting.....

vCash
    I've got a novel idea for Andy Friend, why not try actually coaching a local junior?

Buying superstars is fraught with danger, the Force tried it and got themselves a 50% record.........that aint worth the dough, especially when it's entirely likely that the record would be much the same without the big names

Yet another example of the "greatest rugby programme in the world" whipping out it's chequebook because they can't make Wallabies, only buy them!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I've got a novel idea for Andy Friend, why not try actually coaching a local junior?

Buying superstars is fraught with danger, the Force tried it and got themselves a 50% record.........that aint worth the dough, especially when it's entirely likely that the record would be much the same without the big names

Yet another example of the "greatest rugby programme in the world" whipping out it's chequebook because they can't make Wallabies, only buy them!
    They've got local lads in the academy doing well... Some nice tips here for the Brumbies management to think about considering their recruitment drive for 2010 seems to have stalled... Who is the Western Force signing this week gentleman?

Shame to lose Julian Salvi a local lad but with Smith staying on until 2011 RWC he may need to find game time elsewhere... We'll see... If Rockys signs Chapman likely could move on...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    It will certainly require them to perform...if they get loads of established talent and don't make the finals, it would have to affect their Wallabies chances.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Who is the Western Force signing this week gentleman?
    Western Force only need to sign two...James O'Connor and a quality winger.

Brumbies on the other hand seem willing to misappropriate federal funds to plug all the holes in their team.....go figure!

C'mon the

vCash
    Interesting turn of philosophy at Brumbies, they used talk about nurturing talent and looking after their players like family, so far this year:

1) Sign Josh Valentine and tell Holmes and Stannard, on your bicycles mate.
    2) Trying to sign Rocky and saying Mitch Chapman thanks but if he comes youre out.

I used to have a soft spot for the Brumbies but I am not sure what is happening there now?

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah, being a local lad I wonder what Salvi's take is on the Brumbies development program?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Interesting turn of philosophy at Brumbies, they used talk about nurturing talent and looking after their players like family, so far this year:

1) Sign Josh Valentine and tell Holmes and Stannard, on your bicycles mate.
    2) Trying to sign Rocky and saying Mitch Chapman thanks but if he comes youre out.

I used to have a soft spot for the Brumbies but I am not sure what is happening there now?
    I used to have a soft spot for the Brumbies but Mudskipper has made it extinct. Perhaps it's his quest to become number 1 Brumbies fan. Make everyone else hate the Brumbies so much that it is just him and the team.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I'm not sure we can be too critical of the Brumbies tactics as Force supporters given that we've been there done that in terms of buying a team. Whether or not it works out for the Brumbies, time will tell. All we can say (as Gigs pointed out) is that when the Force bought a team of champions it didn't translate to a champion team. But who knows? It may work for them in the short term and good luck to them if it does. But, if you believe as I do, that the better strategy (at least here in the west) is to build a quality team from scratch, then I think our energies are far better utilised watching to see if the Brumbies can pull this off and getting reading to say 'I told you so' if it doesn't....

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna View Post
    I'm not sure we can be too critical of the Brumbies tactics as Force supporters given that we've been there done that in terms of buying a team.
    Please bear in mind the Force did not and do not have a pool of players at club level to draw on, we could only recruit from where the players where.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Please bear in mind the Force did not and do not have a pool of players at club level to draw on, we could only recruit from where the players where.
    Nor did they have an established Rugby academy for the past 10 years

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast