Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: It's Still Early, But The Signs Are There - Kwik Competition

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash

It's Still Early, But The Signs Are There - Kwik Competition

Well, the Kwik Competition ladder is starting to settle.

Without being too unkind, we can confidently discount Wests, Kalamunda, Rockingham and University as playing any part in the finals, although they may cause a hiccup or two for the stronger clubs along the way.

Nedlands are still in with a chance, but will have to improve dramatically and win at least two of the remaining three games of the round, to have any possibility of making up ground in the second round. They've got to realise a season is rated on how well you do on the field, not on how well you can throw a party.

Of the remaining five clubs, I believe only Soaks, Palmyra and Cottesloe can reasonably count on making the four at this stage. Despite the hype and the build up, both Wanneroo and Perth look vulnerable. Perth has not recruited as well as they thought, and they miss Murphy's strength in the second row more than they care to admit.Their much vaunted backs are in reality no match for the stronger sides, no matter how they spin it.

Wanneroo will miss Pelesasa significantly, and O'Young and Hodgson to a lesser extent. The latter two were only ever going to be worth a game or two all year and I don't think O'Young will come back. Hodgo is gone now he has made the Wallabies Squad.

Wanneroo's form in the last two weeks has been that of a potentially reasonably good side going off the boil. Uncontested scrums or no uncontested scrums, they should have flogged Wests by fifty points plus last weekend, but didn't. They still have some champion individual players, but as yet no demonstrable team mentality.

(As an aside, don't you love the way West's website makes no mention of the uncontested scrums and seems to blame its parlous situation on other clubs' recruitment of overseas players, not on its own lunacy and complacency in not making sure it had the core of a competitive team, no matter the source? And they still try to make a virtue out of necessity by claiming to be "building locally" on a three year plan! Losing by 25 plus points week in week out is the reward you get for stupidity and stubbornness, not for profound thinking.)

Soaks are a powerful and balanced overall unit, but they are no better up front than the other top sides. And they better start looking for some quality loosies.

They have three outstanding backs in Holmes, Dreyer and Cummins, but as last week showed, a competent side can shut them out of the game.

Cottesloe will suffer from the loss of Tiejens, but otherwise are well set to charge forward in the second round. They have a competent kicker and some excellent inside backs.

While Palmyra are travelling well for now, they are likely to lose several players in the next few weeks, including Manu, who has to consider his future in the Force Academy, and a couple of their star backs who have had tempting approaches from overseas. However they have the quality depth to partially compensate for this if it happens.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season with some relish!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I heard Flip is off to france?!? Any truth to this rumour Frank?

In regards to wests building locally they are not wise for playing their boys against men... i have spoken to a few players after the game and they said although they feel the coaching is good they are not enjoying getting pumped every week and a few are trying to sneak out of the 1st grade team so they can play under 20's. They need a few more older heads around these boys, that's how they will really develop!

The comp once again is at a good standard but it does seem that there is more and more players slowly leaving to pursue a bit of fun overseas (which i am a big fan of supporting). It should be an interesting 2nd round

vCash
    That's one of his options I suppose, Goony, I don't know. But more importantly he's got to know what his future is with the Force and the Academy.

vCash
    Wanneroo have two very good centres without Junior playing.

They have very good individual players but still are not playing as a team and individual achievement stills seems paramount over a team victory.

Once this is sorted I think things will go forward.

vCash
    Probably the best centres pairing in the comp actually, the perfect combination of a big ball runner @ 12 and a lightning quick outside centre to run off him...

vCash
    Nice review FS.

I have not seen Soaks or Uni yet this season, but have seen the others at least once - Wanneroo mostly.....

I don't think Wanneroo will miss Junior at all, nor will they feel too much effect of no ChrisO. They certainly need to play for each other for the whole 80. Seems to me the coaching is fine but maybe the on-field leadership needs to exert itself.

From what I have seen, Kala, Rocky and Wests would be very optimistic to think they can make the finals, and P/Baysie would be in that lot as well.

Paly should have learned a hell of a lot from their Friday night loss to Cott and I'd expect Dave, their astute coach, will have taken stock of what happened and implemented some things accordingly. I have no control over where I get allocated, but would very much like to see Paly v Wanneroo and Paly v Soaks...

That's my take, purely from what I've seen anyway.

vCash
    yea, our inside centre is almost a clone of junior in terms of his style of play. He put a few huge hits on against wests this week.

Rookie
    vCash
    Fulvio: I quote: "Wanneroo will miss Pelesasa significantly."
    Is that "significantly" because he has played ONE game or "significantlty" because he has watched a few games?
    I would have thought "significantly" was more likely to apply to Palmyra losing Manu.

vCash
    Significantly because he had the potential to make a greater contribution for the rest of this year, as he has shown great loyalty to Wanneroo over the last several years, and played a number of games for them in each of his past seasons in WA.

Your own club website says as much.

Were he to have stayed, the influence of a player of his standing, even as a spectator and mentor, would have had a great impact.

Of course Manu is significant to Palmyra, for the same reasons, even if he is not yet in the same league.

I was not being critical of Pelesasa, quite the contrary. I respect his loyalty, commitment and ability.

Would you prefer I be totally unobjective, as I am between 3.30 and 5pm each Saturday?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Despite the hype and the build up, both Wanneroo and Perth look vulnerable.

And it is, of course, merely coincidence that these two teams are generally regarded as the strongest teams in the competition -- and the teams that Palmyra (and Associates) have yet to play. Associates and Palmyra have done well and both have very good players in their back lines. Soaks lineup of Turner, Dreyer, Muli, Cummins and Holmes is brilliant, and right up there with Wanneroo's Gibson, Masila, Koiatu and Doughty.

Palmyra's Austin, Feaunati and Mailata are class players but let's not forget that the only teams of note that Palmyra has beaten yet are a wobbly Nedlands and Soaks playing their worst game of the season. Palmyra also lost to Cottesloe who were well beaten by Perth-Bayswater.

What Wanneroo and Perth-Bayswater have that neither Associates nor Palmyra possess to any great degree, is a big forward pack. You have to get the ball to win the game and Palmyra might find when it comes up against these two teams that it spends a lot of time on the back foot.

So my advice to you, young Frank, is not to count your emus before they hatch.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rick boyd View Post
    Palmyra's Austin, Feaunati and Mailata are class players but let's not forget that the only teams of note that Palmyra has beaten yet are a wobbly Nedlands and Soaks playing their worst game of the season.
    maybe thats a credit to the defensive game of palmyra every thought of that rick...
    oh shit thats right maybe youd have to write something positive about them for once..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goony View Post
    Probably the best centres pairing in the comp actually, the perfect combination of a big ball runner @ 12 and a lightning quick outside centre to run off him...
    Well said Goony, I think this came up in another thread about which one is the bigger of the two. Thanks for backing up my point that 12 is the bigger of the two and needs a quick outside centre playing next to him.

vCash
    It's still early days, the first round is still a few games from being completed and there is still alot of things that are up in the air - especially in regards to star players who are considering their futures and might be leaving the state... But I am impressed with the way the competition is unfolding, I am a bit surprised with Kalamunda to be honest as they still have a class team but am very impressed with Palmyra's resurgence even thought i suspected it

Apprentice
    vCash
    Interesting comments all!! Firstly I agree 100% with Frank with regards to Junior. Even tough he has only played 1 game this season his contribution off the field and in previous years is massive to Wanneroo. We will most certainly miss his presence as loyal player and mentor for our other players.

I also agree on the sides to beat at the moment is Soaks and Pally as they have a good balance in their team and have heaps of confidence after a brilliant start. Cott has got potential depending on how they cope with the loss of some of their senior players. As far as Wanneroo goes - we have not played well the last 2 rounds for various reasons and if we continue with that trent we will not be finals contenders. If we can fix up a couple of minor issues I believe that we can be competitive against any team in the comp but our focus for now is not playing finals but to improve as a team. I would not forget about Neddies. They have not started well but as soon as their combinations settle they will do well. Some players playing out of position but also new guys which mean time on the park is essential.

Just for the record thank for the support Jazza 93 but I disagree strongly about Palei and Junior being similar players!!

Rookie
    vCash
    Point taken Frank.
    Yes Junior, Chris'O and Hodgo have all been fantastic for the club in their support on and off field. As was Diggers when he was here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast