Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AGGRESSIVE PALMYRA END SOAKS' DREAM RUN

vCash

AGGRESSIVE PALMYRA END SOAKS' DREAM RUN

Palmyra's brilliantly resurgent season was back on track with a cliffhanger 35-32 win over Associates at Allen Park today in the Rugby WA club competition, sponsored by KWIK Crane and Transport Hire.

Soaks’ first defeat of the season was built on a dreadful first half of errors and misjudgements in the face of an aggressive, confrontational Palmyra team determined to atone for their last gasp loss to Cottesloe last week.

Paly led 28-3 during the first half but Associates came back with a stronger second half and patiently clawed back the margin, coming within three points in the dying minutes.

A Soaks blunder opened the scoring in the third minute of the match, a horribly misjudged chip kick going straight to Palmyra centre Tajhon Mailata and he sprinted 30 metres to score out wide untouched. Flyhalf Quintyn Austin converted from the sideline and the visitors went 7-0 up.

A second error almost gave Paly another runaway try a minute later but the attack was stopped just short of the line. Palmyra were running hot and hammered Soaks' line, prop Hamiora Tioke smashing through for a try beside the posts after ten minutes. Austin did the honours and Paly were making all the play at 14-0.

Palmyra kept coming and the points followed, inside centre Kona Feaunati charging through for a try beside the posts after 14 minutes, Austin's conversion upping Paly's score over a shell-shocked Soaks to 21-0.

Soaks finally found a little possession and continuity, kicking in behind Palmyra to advance down the field but incomprehensibly opted for a penalty goal to prop Damien Elton after 23 minutes when Palmyra were ruled offside in defence of their line.

Another Associates foolish pass minutes later came perilously close to conceding a try when Feaunati sprinted down the sideline and almost scored in the corner, and wing Leka Lolohea would have scored in the other corner on a simple overlap but he knocked on with the goal line wide open.

The Soaks mistakes also kept coming and from a stray long pass after 35 minutes, athletic Palmyra lock Kiti Fuluna intercepted and loped 20 metres to score under the bar. Austin converted the sitter and Palmyra's 28-3 lead looked like a match-winner.

But Palmyra paid the price for their aggressive style with hooker Steve Silva despatched to the sin bin for repeated infringements. From the resulting penalty lineout 10 metres out, the gold forwards drove over the line, flanker Tristan Winnall claiming the try. Elton converted from the sideline and a minute later, while Palmyra was distracted with a fracas on the sideline following a tackle, flanker Jason Missen scooped up the ball and shot down the blindside for a try in the same place right on half time. Elton couldn't add the extras but Soaks gained more than a glimmer of hope going into the break 28-15 in arrears.

Soaks opened the second spell with more composure and more possession, while Palmyra earned another warning for ruck infringements. After seven minutes Soaks attacked down the sideline and a quick tap caught Paly by surprise and fullback Zac Holmes grabbed the try in the corner, Soaks right back in the game at 28-20.

Palmyra's reply was immediate, attacking Soaks' line in the corner and the ball coming back from the ruck for flanker George Sutherland to charge over for a try half way to the posts. Austin converted the moderate chance and the margin was restored at 35-20.

Soaks began to seriously dominate territory and punished Paly in their 22, the visitors losing Sutherland for ten minutes after yet another ruck infringement. But even with a man massing Palmyra pilfered vital turnover ball and successfully kept the home side at bay as the game entered the final 20 minutes.

Then after 26 minutes Palmyra obstructed, and halfback Justin Turner ran wide from the scrum to slice through for the try. Elton converted the difficult goal and Soaks’ partisan crowd was baying for blood at 35-27 with 13 minutes to play.

Soaks’ forwards pounded Paly's line with multiple rucks and mauls as the clock ticked down but Palmyra broke out several times to disrupt the home side’s momentum. Soaks returned to their task and hooker Bernie Kubainski eventually plunged over for the try. Elton's conversion missed and Soaks had left a mere three minutes to snatch the game at 35-32.

Palmyra controlled possession in the final few tension-soaked minutes to hold on and end Soaks’ unbeaten run, but the home side’s two bonus points kept them on top of the competition table.

In other games, University finally gained reward for a determined season with a 17-10 win over punch-drunk premiers Kalamunda at Hartfield, injury-struck Wanneroo downed a valiant Wests-Subiaco 47-28 at Rosalie Park, Cottesloe put Nedlands back to square one with a close 23-18 win at Harvey Field and fourth-placed Perth-Bayswater defeated Rockingham 28-17 at Pat O’Hara Reserve.

Cottesloe’s win opens a sizeable gap between fifth and sixth place as the top half of the table draws clear of the rest, with Neddies and Kalamunda consigned to the bottom half, and a third of the season gone. Both teams face a mammoth task to climb back into contention in the coming weeks, while Associates, Palmyra and Cottesloe reap the rewards of ealry season success by joining Wanneroo and Perth-Bayswater at the business end of the table.

http://rugbywa.com.au/news/article,55765.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Go Paly!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Noticed in the match report that Tajhon Mailata is back in Perth. I wonder if they are going to give him another run with the Force?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    We squeaked home despite the Hurculean efforts of Soaks 16th man.

Pally were awarded 2 short arm penalties (one in each half) against Soaks 20.
    (I counted them). We also played 30 minutes with 14 men.

I'm not one to complain (well, actually I am) but is there any possibility we might get a referee once in a blue moon who isn't sucked in by the bullshit fed to him by RugbyWA and their north of the river bias?

Palmyra were a five try better team on the day than Soaks on any fair assessment.

vCash
    Tahjon (Paly), Justin Turner (Soaks) & Filipe Manu (Paly) were in fine form. Flip looked buggered after about 10 minutes but finished the game in style and assisted a try or two.
    JT got a try and a nasty bump to the head but his passing is fantastic! Force future with him looks good! Taijon had a pearler of a match too.

Kudos to Paly's number 5 on his try, and Soaks prop on his kicking. I don't think I've ever seen a prop with the kicking duties and he pulled off quite well.

It was such a good game to watch, every time someone went for a try there was someone right behind him either supporting him or about to tackle him, it was great! Good running rugby, a couple of those boys would do well in Force colours any day of the week! Zac Holmes should definately be elevated to level 1 or 2 academy, if he can develop as well as some of our other academy players have, Force are set for a fullback!

Paly's supporters were very...vocal. Maybe to their detriment at one point, the ref threatened to report them. Aside from that it was a fantastic match!!

Last edited by laura; 24-05-09 at 10:44.

vCash
    paly was definitely the better team on the day, although Soaks began a spirited comeback but unfortunately fell a few points too short.
    i wasn't expecting to see Manu and Tahjon Mailata today. if i remember correclty Mailata was initially at the Force for full back but he played #13 today and fairly well. hope to see him back in the mix for the Force, JT played well at scrummy today, and Zac Holmes is incredibly speedy.

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    We squeaked home despite the Hurculean efforts of Soaks 16th man.

(I counted them). We also played 30 minutes with 14 men.

I'm not one to complain (well, actually I am) but is there any possibility we might get a referee once in a blue moon who isn't sucked in by the bullshit fed to him by RugbyWA and their north of the river bias?

Palmyra were a five try better team on the day than Soaks on any fair assessment.
    Fulvio Fulio Fulvio Fulvio

The bloke you had today would be the most laid-back dude in our Association. There would be not the remotest chance of him being influenced by anything (or anyone) other than that which he sees before him in a game.

The wrong tree is being barked up by you in this instance.

vCash
    When a referee has an affect on a game to the extent this character did it is absolutely appalling.

And by the way Laura it was a group of Soaks supporters who were warned by the assistant referee (official touch judge) for abusing him in carrying out his job.

The Pally supporters were vocal and sometimes frustrated and derisory of the standard of refereeing, with good reason, but were not abusive.

At least he had the good grace to apologise to one of our players for an unreasonable and unmerited yellow card, and that's about all than can be said.

vCash
    When a referee has an affect on a game to the extent this character did it is absolutely appalling.
    Possibly Pally was simply Ill Disciplined........is that likely to be in the realms of chance....

C'mon the

vCash
    Just stronger, better, faster. And there were some who didn't like that.

vCash
    Fulv, the paly supporters were the ones who got told off by the assistant ref. i was there right infront of the paly coach and the assistant ref told the assistant coach 'if that bloke's associated with you, you had better shut him up or he will get reported'

plus, he was wearing Paly stuff.

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Maybe he was a secret mole agent supposed to look like an unruly Paly supporter but was actually from Soaksville.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Then it must have happened twice. The assistant ref I saw was livid at the conduct of Soaks supporters still in their playing strip from previous games.

---------- Post added at 16:59 ---------- Previous post was at 16:58 ----------

Now that's a conspiracy theory I could accept, James!

vCash

And by the way Laura it was a group of Soaks supporters who were warned by the assistant referee (official touch judge) for abusing him in carrying out his job.

The Pally supporters were vocal and sometimes frustrated and derisory of the standard of refereeing, with good reason, but were not abusive.

At least he had the good grace to apologise to one of our players for an unreasonable and unmerited yellow card, and that's about all than can be said.
    Ok, but I'm unclear on how that relates to your assertion
    ...... is there any possibility we might get a referee once in a blue moon who isn't sucked in by the bullshit fed to him by RugbyWA and their north of the river bias?

vCash
    I was told a few years ago by a visiting Eastern States referee who had conduct of one of our senior games that he didn't know what they were on about.
    I asked him what he meant.

He told me he had been at a RugbyWA referees function where he had been told to watch out for those dirty Palmyra players and to be sure that they understood who was controlling the game. He came to officiate on the clear understanding he had to stamp his influence on a bunch of thugs.

After a few minutes he realised what was going on, refereed according to the rules, and thoroughly enjoyed the game. He shook his head, said he was going back to his home state after that game anyway and didn't have to put up with this nonsense.

Clear enough for you Ecky?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast