Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force should be safe from Super 15 raid

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force should be safe from Super 15 raid

Tim Clarke
    • May 21, 2009 - 7:26AM
    RugbyWA chairman Geoff Stooke has said he is not expecting a raid on the Western Force's playing stocks if a fifth Australian team is injected into an expanded super rugby competition.

After SANZAR revealed their plans to include a 15th team in the Super rugby competition from 2011, a fifth Australian franchise - possibly on the Gold Coast or in Melbourne - appears the likeliest scenario.

But Stooke said rather than all the Australian teams poaching players off each other, teams would probably be allowed to pick the best from abroad - which may mean having to put a limit on how many imports one team was allowed.

"When we set up the principal objective was to grow Wallabies - and that can still be done with foreign players," Stooke said.

"I still feel there will be, and think there should be, a limitation on the number of foreign players - but there will be more relocation than currently exists.

"If you have got a squad of 30 players and out of that maybe you could have five foreigners. You have got to keep the standards as high as possible.

"But if you have got shortages in certain positions you can get foreigners, balanced against the need for players to develop and step up."

The Force are currently in hot pursuit of Stormers five-eighth Peter Grant to replace Matt Giteau - a scenario Stooke said could become more commonplace with a 15th team.

And he hoped the ARU had learned from the recruiting rush which occurred when the Force was created four years ago, which eventually got RugbyWA into big trouble for dodgy recruiting practices and infuriated the other Australian franchises.

"A few lessons have been learned by the way we were set up, where the only thing we could do was a bit of pillage of other states and then pick up players who were on the fringe," Stooke said.

"I think the ARU will control it a lot more and they won't allow that mad scramble to occur - knowing when the team is going to be set up most provinces will look to see how long they are contracting for.

"They will make sure there will not be the same issues suffered principally by Queensland when we came on the scene.

"Mind you most of the players we got were fringe players, and not contracted, but nevertheless it did impact on their depth."

Wherever the 15th side is based, it will definitely play in the Australian conference - meaning two clashes with the Force home and away - a format Stooke said he was very happy with.

"We have got a good program here to work on. It takes us from February through to August which is what we have been after," Stooke said.

"Having eight home games in itself is very good, and in terms of Perth the biggest crowds we tend to get are the New Zealand and Australian teams.

"It also means that having that break for the Test series gives us a chance to have injured blokes a rest - so all in all we think it is great."

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/forc...g.html?page=-1

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    I think it'll be handled better this time because the ARU have a strong leader not just a fancy flower.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Tim Clarke
    • May 21, 2009 - 7:26AM

RugbyWA chairman Geoff Stooke has said...

And he hoped the ARU had learned from the recruiting rush which occurred when the Force was created four years ago, which eventually got RugbyWA into big trouble for dodgy recruiting practices and infuriated the other Australian franchises.

"A few lessons have been learned by the way we were set up, where the only thing we could do was a bit of pillage of other states and then pick up players who were on the fringe," Stooke said.

"I think the ARU will control it a lot more and they won't allow that mad scramble to occur - knowing when the team is going to be set up most provinces will look to see how long they are contracting for.

"They will make sure there will not be the same issues suffered principally by Queensland when we came on the scene.

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/forc...g.html?page=-1
    Only if those involved follow the ARU guidelines this time...

Its Nice of Chairman Stooke to remind the ARU publicly the Western Force administration broke ARU protocols... While pleading for it not to happen to the Force? …

Well yes we remember Chairman and I hope you resign your post soon to set a example...

In reality all provinces will lose players and some will lose key players...

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    And if you read Mudskippers post with the aid of an upside down mirror you get;

"Firepower Firepower Peter O'Meara is the devil. Paul is dead"

Broken record much muddy?

any chance you will find something new to harp on about?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    And if you read Mudskippers post with the aid of an upside down mirror you get;

"Firepower Firepower Peter O'Meara is the devil. Paul is dead"

Broken record much muddy?

any chance you will find something new to harp on about?
    Gee Exile... I didn’t raise these points you offer, would you like to discuss the darkest moments of the Forces short history again? … Your buddy jargs is praising you offering encouragement...

Exile If you can't see the contradiction in Chairman Stooke's plea compared while openly acknowledging break previous protocols you’re sadly uninformed... buy the book...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Only if those involved follow the ARU guidelines this time...
    It's interesting to note that the 'protocol' that was breached was a guideline right up until the actual inquiry. The Force only actually breached protocols after the inquiry was convened.......sure they stretched the relationship, but the rule wasn't a rule until after it was breached.......all history now, but I think it important for history to be accurate
    Its Nice of Chairman Stooke to remind the ARU publicly the Western Force administration broke ARU protocols... While pleading for it not to happen to the Force? …
    I don't see where the plea is, he's actually trying to ensure that Melbourne (or Gold Coast, wherever) isn't put into the same position. Quite an altruistic gesture in such a competitve industry.

In reality all provinces will lose players and some will lose key players...
    Much as has happened this year. I think the biggest reaction to this will be a rush on contract extensions through to 2011 and beyond, I wouldn't be surprised to see clubs locking up players early in the off season before the license is granted.....that's the only way to be sure you're not pillaged.

Surely there will be a large number of fringe players and dissatisfied players looking to arrange their contracts with a bit of greener grass....a more nurturing approach from the ARU will see that none of the existing clubs is pillaged TOO badly with some protocols in place to ensure that pillaging is compensated by some talent inwards from other sources (most likely overseas, Wallaby hopefuls)

I wouldn't mind betting that there are a couple of players who are released from contracts to take up positions with the new franchise, and then replaced with whatever new options the ARU see fit to provide (overseas internationals, development players, Marquues etc)

C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    If I may add to my colleague GIGS well thought out tome.

ARU CEO JO'N has said recently that the ARU made a mistake by not putting protocols in place to allow the Force to Recruit a team from nothing.

But of course you wouldnt be interested in that piece of wisdom would you muddy - perhaps you should go for a name change and become ChickenLittle.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Gee Exile... I didn’t raise these points you offer, would you like to discuss the darkest moments of the Forces short history again? … Your buddy jargs is praising you offering encouragement...

Exile If you can't see the contradiction in Chairman Stooke's plea compared while openly acknowledging break previous protocols you’re sadly uninformed... buy the book...
    Your moaning for the sake of moaning Muddy. What exactly did you, as a Brumbies supporter, lose? Matt Henjak and Scott Fava. Whoop-de-doo. To be honest in hindsight I'd probably rather we had neither of them in the first place. We copped fines and criticism left right and centre and while you might think its hypocritical of Stooke to bring the contracting up, if you had two brain cells to rub together you'd see its more hypocritical to punish one group for doing something and not the other for doing the same thing. But hey, since when has the ARU ever done anything logical.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Sorry guys protocols or no protocols befores or afters the Force administration crossed the line in many ways and largely got away with it... So please remind me why Peter O’Meara was stood down? … I’d really like an answer on that one…

I don't buy your historical twaddle for one minute… they just got away with it along with many other seriously dodgy deals… Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen… So shovel it in another direction...

James your choices in hindsight don't cover for dishonest men... These men brought thieves into our game... and I believe they were wise to it, if not initially not to far into the business engagement... Dishonesty attracts the dishonest which was gifted by the Force‘s inaugural CEO to Australian rugby…

By the way James I'm not moaning Chairman Stookes statement is laughable...

vCash
    why Peter O’Meara was stood down?...... seriously dodgy deals...... cover for dishonest men... These men brought thieves into our game Dishonesty attracts the dishonest
    You really go through a lot of mood swings, Mud. But sooner or later you always get back to being the snide internet troll spouting the same boring bile. Very boring.

Maybe you should see your GP. Medication might help

Quote Originally Posted by Snide Internet Troll
    would you like to discuss the darkest moments of the Forces short history again?
    Nope. Wanna discuss how many Wallaby debutantes we got? You've made the usual few backhanded congrats about them. But I bet you're really choking over it. Deal with it.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    You really go through a lot of mood swings, Mud. But sooner or later you always get back to being the snide internet troll spouting the same boring bile. Very boring.

Maybe you should see your GP. Medication might help

Nope. Wanna discuss how many Wallaby debutantes we got? You've made the usual few backhanded congrats about them. But I bet you're really choking over it. Deal with it.
    I've congratulated the boys,, go read my posts... the rest is reasonable observations pleas quote what I’ve said as a negative comment…

Exile wanted to and brought up the Force trash and GIGS followed.. read the thread... Take it up with them mate… and prescribe your own medicine… I don’t suffer simple and make-believe...

Or just get another drink on me...

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    I've congratulated the boys,, go read my posts... the rest is reasonable observations pleas quote what I’ve said as a negative comment…

Exile wanted to and brought up the Force trash and GIGS followed.. read the thread... Take it up with them mate… and prescribe your own medicine… I don’t suffer simple and make-believe...

Or just get another drink on me...
    Christ, i always thought this was a site for Force people. Time to get on ya bike you knob.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Hydrangea View Post
    Christ, i always thought this was a site for Force people. Time to get on ya bike you knob.
    Thanks for the Nanna moment Ms Hydrangea.. and christ isn't a suitable descriptive... be respectful...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Are you Swedish Mud?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Are you Swedish Mud?
    let her answer her own troubles...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast