Thread: Staniforth stoked with farewell

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Staniforth stoked with farewell

20/05/2009 5:13 PM
    Chris Pike

Sportal

After a perfect two-try send-off in a win on Saturday night for the Western Force, departing winger Scott Staniforth will continue to support the club and predicts success isn't too far away.

Staniforth took part in his 100th and final Super rugby match on Saturday night in the Force's 33-28 win over the Highlanders at Subiaco Oval and couldn't have been happier with the way his career ended.

"It's a little bit emotional, but it has to finish some time and it's a good way to finish on 100 games with a couple of tries and a win," Staniforth said.

"I remember playing Otago in my 50th game and we just got over the line and to do so in my 100th here was just as good."

The 31-year-old who played in 12 Tests for the Wallabies will now head to play in Japan and help out as a coach, but will continue to be based in Perth and will support the Force as much as possible.

"It's only six months up there and part of my contract is that I can come back here. My family's going to stay based in Perth and outside of rugby I'm working for a company called Complete Design Interiors and I'm looking forward to the challenge of having a real job. I love Perth," he said.

"People say I shouldn't call it a country town, but being in Sydney as a country boy didn't appeal to me and the ease of everything here while still having a city has been great. I'm doing a little bit of coaching in Japan, but long-term it's not in my plans."

Staniforth was the final Force player signed for its inaugural season and despite the exodus of players, predicts a strong future for the franchise and is hopeful 18-year-old James O'Connor will re-sign.

"It won't be anywhere near as hard as the first year with guys like Richard Brown, Dave Pocock and pretty much a really good 12 players, so there are just three players needed. Hopefully James O'Connor can get across the line and another five-eighth, and they will be very competitive next year," he said.

"It's very important for James to stay, but you don't want to put too much importance on it in case you miss him. He's vital to this club and other guys like Dane Haylett-Petty and Ben Whittaker who are 18 can help make the future great."

Staniforth has also seen the development in Matt Giteau at flyhalf over the last three years, and bore the fruits of it, and is glad to have had the chance to spend so much time with him.

"As soon as you ask him to kick it over to you on the outside and he hears you, he does it and there are not many people that can go on the spur of the moment like he does," he said.

"He came across here as a 12 and was still learning when he played his first year at 10, but now he's the world's best five-eighth. He can read the play, can control the game and just finds space. As a winger, it's great to have him getting the ball to you and he makes people look good."

"He is a leader, but a very cheeky one. He's someone I have a lot of respect for and I'm glad I have played with him."

http://sportal.com.au/rugby-union-ne...l-70769/page/2

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    "You canna hand a man a grander spanner"

A coaching career beckons- spanner is a huge asset to WA Rugby.

vCash
    Do Complete Design Interiors want to tee up a Rugby Supporters Special?

vCash
    "Staniforth stoked with farewell"
    "Fans stoked with Staniforth farewell" (although most consider it to be premature!!!).

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Coaching may not feature in his plans, but it'll be great just to have him around the traps. Gotta wish him all the best.

vCash
    If he's staying in Perth long-term and supporting the Force, can we get him along to the Bowlo (or whatever equivalent we come up with)?

Hopefully he'll also get involved with the local club scene. He said coaching was in his long-term plans, but as an ambassador for Rugby WA he's second to none.

vCash
    It will be great to have another great ex player supporting the Force, shades of John Wellborn.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    a class act right to the end......

vCash
    Deserves a Golden Spanner ... The Spanner Awards

vCash
    Scott Staniforth you are an absolute gem! An asset to any rugby team and the Force will miss you immensely. What a game he had last Saturday. Best of luck in Japan and YES he has to be invited to the MES version of the bowlo!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry