Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Veteran flanker Phil Waugh expected to miss Wallabies squad - Hodgo the bolter.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Veteran flanker Phil Waugh expected to miss Wallabies squad - Hodgo the bolter.

May 20, 2009

Warhorse flanker Phil Waugh is expected to be a controversial axing when the 30-man Australia squad is announced on Thursday.

Former Test skipper Waugh is believed to be the highest profile omission from coach Robbie Deans' extended squad for the start of the international season, kicking off against the Barbarians on June 6.

It's a body blow for the inspirational NSW Waratahs captain, who only recently re-signed with the Australian Rugby Union through to the 2011 World Cup.

Western Force young gun David Pocock is tipped to beat Waugh to the role as George Smith's back-up at openside flanker while versatile Force back-rower Matt Hodgson is expected to be unveiled as the squad's bolter.

The quiet-achieving Hodgson can play all three positions in the back-row and teamed with Pocock and No.8 Richard Brown to make the Force the most effective Australian team at the breakdown in the Super 14.

It's a huge call for the 27-year-old who started the season on the bench and also lost his No.6 jersey to Richard Stanford in round five before showing his importance with consistently strong all-round performances.

Hodgson's shock elevation comes as bulldozing No.8 Wycliff Palu was ruled out for four weeks with a broken hand, which means Brown will start the domestic season at the back of the Wallabies scrum.

Even with Palu's unavailability, there appears no room for the in-form Waugh who was named the Waratahs best forward on Tuesday night.

Waratahs forwards coach Michael Foley, who was also Australia's set-piece coach from 2006-2008, warned against dumping the 77-Test stalwart.

Foley said Waugh still deserved to be rated among the best three No.7s in world rugby along with Smith and All Blacks skipper Richie McCaw.

In contrast to the view of the Test selectors, Foley believed age was on the side of 29-year-old Waugh, not Pocock, 21, who he also rates as a future Wallabies captain.

“We're playing Test football and experience counts for a lot and Phil Waugh is hardly over the hill,” he said.

“I think Australia in the past has had a habit of moving players on before time.

“One day Pocock will overtake one or both of those blokes (Smith or Waugh) probably but at this stage I don't think he's done that.

“I think George and Phil will be available for the next World Cup and I'm certain both those guys will hold form and potentially even improve a little to the extent they will still be in the top three in the world.”

Foley said Waugh's value was also underlined by his leadership qualities and the high regard of his peers.

“When you've got a guy who is that influential in the playing group and has that level of leadership skill which is important in supporting the coach and captain, it is something which is very difficult to ignore.”

The selectors aren't expected to name three hookers, with Adam Freier making his comeback from injury in club rugby this weekend along with prop Matt Dunning.

Teenage sensation James O'Connor is expected to be included in the squad as a fullback-inside back option instead of heading to next month's Under-20 world championships.

AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...016959,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Possible Wallabies squad: Forwards - Benn Robinson, Ben Alexander, Al Baxter, Sekope Kepu, Guy Shepherdson, Stephen Moore, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Nathan Sharpe, James Horwill, Will Caldwell, Peter Kimlin, Dean Mumm, Matt Hodgson, George Smith, David Pocock, Richard Brown, Stephen Hoiles.

Backs - Josh Valentine, Luke Burgess, Matt Giteau, Berrick Barnes, Stirling Mortlock, Timana Tahu, Ryan Cross, Lote Tuqiri, Peter Hynes, Lachie Turner, Drew Mitchell, Adam Ashley-Cooper, James O'Connor.

vCash
    Pretty sure Pocock has overtaken Waugh in rankings, Hickey.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Trio force exit of Wallaby veteran

Jim Morton and Tim Clarke
    May 20, 2009 - 4:56PM
    The rise of Western Force backrow trio Richard Brown, David Pocock and Matt Hodgson looks set to prompt the controversial axing of NSW flanker Phil Waugh from the 30-man Wallabies squad due to be named tomorrow.

Former Test skipper Waugh is tipped to be the highest profile omission from coach Robbie Deans' extended squad for the start of the international season, kicking off against the Barbarians on June 6.

And that is due to the form of Pocock, tipped to beat Waugh to the role as George Smith's back-up at openside flanker - while versatile Force back-rower Hodgson is expected to be the squad's bolter.

The quiet-achieving Hodgson can play all three positions in the back-row and teamed with Pocock and No.8 Richard Brown to make the Force the most effective Australian team at the breakdown in the Super 14.

It's a huge call for the 27-year-old who started the season on the bench and also lost his No.6 jersey to Richard Stanford in round five before showing his importance with consistently strong all-round performances.

But it will be a massive body blow for the inspirational NSW Waratahs captain, who only recently re-signed with the Australian Rugby Union through to the 2011 World Cup.

Hodgson's shock elevation comes as bulldozing No.8 Wycliff Palu was ruled out for four weeks with a broken hand, which means Brown will start the domestic season at the back of the Wallabies scrum.

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/trio...0520-bfld.html

Player
    vCash
    Hodgos selection would only be a surprise to anyone not at TWF,good luck to him he deserves his spot.
    Heard a rumour that there could be another bolter from the force,but will not say cos I could be wrong.....

Last edited by Cookie; 21-05-09 at 03:41.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Heard a rumour that there could be another bolter from the force,but will not say cos I could be wrong.....
    Since when does that matter around here or in the press.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Hodgos selection would only be a surprise to anyone not at TWF,good luck to him he deserves his spot.
    No kidding, I called it months ago, didn't really expect the establishment to make the selection though, since it was certainly based upon form and not 'political' factors

I wonder how the Brumbies are going to spin this as evidence that there's no development path at the Force.......I'll have to do a quick caculation of Wallaby Debutantes since the Force have started.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I was hoping on Pek to be named. But still, the official list not out for another couple of hours. Heres hoping.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Jim Morton and Tim Clarke
    May 20, 2009 - 4:56PM
    The rise of Western Force backrow trio Richard Brown, David Pocock and Matt Hodgson looks set to prompt the controversial axing of NSW flanker Phil Waugh from the 30-man Wallabies squad due to be named tomorrow.

Former Test skipper Waugh is tipped to be the highest profile omission from coach Robbie Deans' extended squad for the start of the international season, kicking off against the Barbarians on June 6.

And that is due to the form of Pocock, tipped to beat Waugh to the role as George Smith's back-up at openside flanker - while versatile Force back-rower Hodgson is expected to be the squad's bolter.

But it will be a massive body blow for the inspirational NSW Waratahs captain, who only recently re-signed with the Australian Rugby Union through to the 2011 World Cup.

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/trio...0520-bfld.html
    Force to blame for axing Phil Waugh from Wallabies!

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    No kidding, I called it months ago, didn't really expect the establishment to make the selection though, since it was certainly based upon form and not 'political' factors

I wonder how the Brumbies are going to spin this as evidence that there's no development path at the Force.......I'll have to do a quick caculation of Wallaby Debutantes since the Force have started.

Forunately Deans isnt fussed about political factors,its all about the form.Thats the great thing about having a coach that doesnt have any ties with the oz franchises.

Better wait until after the team is named before calculating your wallaby debutants.

vCash
    hurry up 8am!!!

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Waugh hangs on for 2009 Wallabies... Its up to Pocock to bring it to the international game now...

vCash
    scraped into the squad, he has been granted a release to play two tests for the Barbarians, Aussie Rob would have had a word in that release, he may not figure in Aussie Rob's plans for the actual Test 22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    scraped into the squad, he has been granted a release to play two tests for the Barbarians, Aussie Rob would have had a word in that release, he may not figure in Aussie Rob's plans for the actual Test 22
    A masterstroke by Aussie Rob- he will get to see big Phil battle it out toe to toe with his Wallaby position usurper!

vCash
    So what happens to his ARU contract if he's no longer selected for the Wallabies? Maybe the ARU should move to 1-year contracts like the cricketers...

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast