Thread: Good Force article!!!

vCash

Good Force article!!!

This is quite possibly one of the best written, positive articles I have read about the Force in a long time. The title implies its all about JO'C but there's a fair chunk about how the Force are not actually doomed and the future is looking good!

The only quote that may cause a point of disagreement for some/one (you know who you are) is about JO'C not following anyone to date. The quote is in reference to the fact he has not followed a player to a club. Yes he came here with the bonus of playing alongside Giteau but Giteau was already here, JO'C did not drop everything to come here to play soley with Giteau and the Force was the only team willing to give him a chance at the time. Don't argue that point and twist it out of context, please just delight in the fact that it is a good article that we can all appreciate.

Article Follows....

The Force have made re-signing James O'Connor their main focus for the 2010 Super 14 season under coach coach John Mitchell.

Peter Grant, Damian Fitzpatrick, a NSW No.8 and a strong winger are all in Force's sights for 2010 but the Force are intent on keeping O'Connor after they lost Wallaby stars Matt Giteau and Drew Mitchell.

Many have predicted doom and gloom for the Force after the departures of Giteau and Mitchell but the Force feel that the future is bright.

The addition of Kiwi Tim Fairbrother to a frontrow of Pek Cowan and Gareth Hardy is solid, with young hookers Ben Whittaker and Damian Fitzpatrick from NSW, if signed, to replace Tai McIsaac.

In the second row the team has depth in Nathan Sharpe alongside Tom Hockings, Richard Stanford and Sam Wykes, while both Stanford and Wykes can play as a flanker.

Matt Hodgson at openside, David Pocock at blindside and Richard Brown at No.8 gives the Force a strong No.6-7-8 combination.

At number 9 Brett Sheehan replaces Josh Valentine at scrumhalf while Cameron Shepherd takes Drew Mitchell's spot at full-back. Ryan Cross remains at outside centre and Nick Cummins, Haig Sare and possibly a recruit will fill up the wings.

The problem is a replacement number 10 so the Force are in talks with Stormers' Grant who's parents are said to be resident in Perth.

The fearless O'Connor has been a revelation for the Force in 2009 and the Force have competition for his signature across Australia but Mitchell is confident he won't follow departing Force players anywhere. He'd also like to see him in the Wallabies team to get a go at full-back and inside centre.

"He is more than capable of playing Test rugby at 15 and learning to play 12, no different than he would do here. " Mitchell told Sportal.

"He doesn’t lack confidence in his ability and that's not an arrogant feature. He has physically matured enormously and the boy is not a follower," he said.

"He sets his own benchmarks and is more than capable of playing at that level. He hasn't followed anyone in his career to date, so I don’t expect him to start now. He can make it on his own."

South African Peter Grant can play rugby at either No.10 or No.12 and Mitchell is hopeful of him joining the Force and would like to see the rules relaxed on players able to play for any franchise but still represent their country.

"It's not a bad proposition for players these days to earn three incomes. "

"He could play for the Western Force, Western Province in the Currie Cup and for his country," he said.

"In some ways, his situation if he decides to come will be unique and will send a signal to the future of Super Rugby that players will be able to play anywhere in the southern hemisphere, and still play for their country."

"That time is not too far away. There will be factors that come in to acquisition where it won't be long before whether you come from South Africa, New Zealand or Australia that you can play anywhere."

While hooker McIsaac has been there for every Force game to date, Mitchell is confident teenagers Fitzpatrick and Whittaker can feel the void his departure leaves.

"We are after Fitzpatrick from NSW and both he and Whittaker are young hookers who we think by being surrounded by experienced props will prosper," he said.

"One of them will eventually feature for their country after being exceptional schoolboys."

http://www.super14.com/news/viewarticle.asp?id=20358

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by laura; 19-05-09 at 20:51.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    accreditation for article please (ie exactly where did you find it?)

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm guessing at super14.com??

Champion
    vCash
    Yep good positive stuff......... the forum has been saying this all the time 2010 will be as good if not better than this year, the shit stirrers have gone and the committed have remained to bring home the silver ware.

Browny for number 8 wallabies.there is noone else as consistent as him I hope he stays injury free

vCash
    great article

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    oh i wonder who the nsw no.8 is!! not possibly palu? who else do they have there as number 8?

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Fava

vCash
    hahahah you've gotta be kidding me?!

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    oh i wonder who the nsw no.8 is!! not possibly palu? who else do they have there as number 8?
    We are unlikely to pick up an experienced player as Brownie would be first choice so it'll be a young gun. My money is someone like Ben McCalman or Ben Coridas.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.