Thread: Not so good news out of SA

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

Not so good news out of SA

Peter Grant included in the initial SA training squad.

Rookies in line to face Namibia
    Tue, 19 May 2009 11:29

Let's go: Bok coach Peter de Villiers gets serious

Six uncapped players have been included in a South African training squad that will face a Namibian Invitation XV in Windhoek on Friday May 29, which excludes Bulls players due to their involvement in the Super 14 playoffs.

The 23-strong group includes 17 capped Springboks and 6 uncapped players. The uncapped players are Stormers centre Morgan Newman, Sharks flank Jean Deysel, Sharks lock Steven Sykes, Cheetahs prop Wian du Preez, Lions scrumhalf Jano Vermaak and Lions flyhalf Earl Rose.

Rose was in the Springbok squad at the end of last year but did not feature in the Tests, whilst du Preez toured England and Wales at the end of 2007 but did not play. Vermaak was in the 2007 Emerging SA squad at the IRB Nations Cup, whilst Newman featured for the Emerging side in 2007 and 2008.

Players not considered due to injury are Sharks flyhalf Ruan Pienaar and prop Deon Carstens. Lions centre Jaque Fourie was not considered as he is getting married on Saturday May 30.

The Bulls players could not be considered due to their involvement in the Super 14 playoffs.

Springbok coach Peter de Villiers said he was disappointed about Pienaar’s injury but that it was important for the player to focus on his recovery in advance of the British & Irish Lions tour.

"Ruan is expected to be out for about three weeks and we will closely monitor his progress," said de Villiers.

“I am hoping that he will be fit to play in the first Test against the Lions in Durban but we are fortunate in that we have adequate cover in the flyhalf position if it is required”.

De Villiers said that despite the absence of the Bulls players he was still able to assemble a strong squad. He added that the game against the Namibian XV would allow him to test systems and plays in preparation for the Lions Test series.

"Without the opportunity of a few warm-up games we must ensure that we get the most out of this match, regardless of the fact that some players are not in attendance. After this match we will assemble a Springbok squad that will have three weeks to prepare for the first Lions test and we have to maximise the time we have at our disposal," de Villiers said.

The SA Training Squad will assemble in Pretoria on Monday May 25 and travel to Windhoek on Thursday May 28.

The Springbok squad for the Lions series will be named on Monday June 1.

SA Training Squad: Andries Bekker, Heinrich Brüssow, Schalk Burger, Jean de Villiers, Jean Deysel, Bismarck Du Plessis, Wian Du Preez, Peter Grant, Adi Jacobs, Ricky Januarie, Ryan Kankowski, Tendai Mtawarira, Johan Muller, Odwa Ndungane, Morgan Newman, Jongi Nokwe, JP Pietersen, Earl Rose, John Smit (captain), Juan Smith, Adriaan Strauss, Steven Sykes, Jano Vermaak.

Perhaps Ruan Pienaar coming back from injury and Morne Steyn being available might see fortune smile on us.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    no spies?but Peter Grant

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lara93 View Post
    no spies?but Peter Grant
    This is the provisional squad minus the Bulls. Given the Bulls are in the Finals one would guess that at least 10 of them will make the Boks. So basically that 26 give or take 6 players.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    If Grant comes over here it would be for next season any way. Part of his SA contract likely stipulates he is to play for his Super 14 province, Country and Currie Cup team this year before he is allowed to leave to come here or go to France.

vCash
    I wouldn't know how his contract works. But it's been implied in the press that he could possibly play Currie Cup in ZA but play S14 in Australia and still be eligible for the Springboks. So it's not necessarily bad news.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David