Thread: SPANNER BOWS OUT IN STYLE

vCash

SPANNER BOWS OUT IN STYLE

After a perfect two-try send-off in a win on Saturday night for the Emirates Western Force, departing winger Scott Staniforth will continue to support the club and predicts success isn’t too far away.

Staniforth took part in his 100th and final Super rugby match on Saturday night in the Force's 33-28 win over the Highlanders at Subiaco Oval and couldn’t have been happier with the way his career ended.

"It's a little bit emotional, but it has to finish sometime and it's a good way to finish on 100 games with a couple of tries and a win," Staniforth said.

"I remember playing Otago in my 50th game and we just got over the line and to do so in my 100th here was just as good."

The 31-year-old who played in 12 Tests for the Wallabies will now head to play in Japan and help out as a coach, but will continue to be based in Perth and will support the Force as much as possible.

"It's only six months up there and part of my contract is that I can come back here. My family's going to stay based in Perth and outside of rugby I'm working for a company called Complete Design Interiors and I'm looking forward to the challenge of having a real job. I love Perth," he said.

"People say I shouldn’t call it a country town, but being in Sydney as a country boy didn’t appeal to me and the ease of everything here while still having a city has been great. I'm doing a little bit of coaching in Japan, but long-term it's not in my plans."

Staniforth was the final Force player signed for its inaugural season and despite the exodus of players, predicts a strong future for the franchise and is hopeful 18-year-old James O'Connor will re-sign.

"It won't be anywhere near as hard as the first year with guys like Richard Brown, Dave Pocock and pretty much a really good 12 players, so there are just three players needed. Hopefully James O'Connor can get across the line and another five-eight, and they will be very competitive next year," he said.

"It's very important for James to stay, but you don’t want to put too much importance on it in case you miss him. He's vital to this club and other guys like Dane Haylett-Petty and Ben Whittaker who are 18 can help make the future great."

Staniforth has also seen the development in Matt Giteau at flyhalf over the last three years, and bore the fruits of it, and is glad to have had the chance to spend so much time with him.

"As soon as you ask him to kick it over to you on the outside and he hears you, he does it and there are not many people that can go on the spur of the moment like he does," he said.

"He came across here as a 12 and was still learning when he played his first year at 10, but now he's the world's best five-eight. He can read the play, can control the game and just finds space. As a winger, it's great to have him getting the ball to you and he makes people look good.

"He is a leader, but a very cheeky one. He's someone I have a lot of respect for and I'm glad I have played with him."

http://rugbywa.com.au/news/article,55734.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    What a bloke and what a player

vCash
    We'll miss you, Spanner! (Or will we be seeing you at MES?)

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

Champion
    vCash
    Isn't it great that some of the Ex players are staying in Perth, apparently Dave Pusey is also staying here to continue his flying career. I'm sure we'll see Spanner at MES next year!

vCash
    It was inevitable he would bow out in style, he's a fantastic player!
    Great to hear he's staying in Perth, would be great if he could get a job with the academy and training players..genuine, hard-working players like Spanna make for great role models.