Thread: Australia can't sustain five Super teams: Hickey

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Australia can't sustain five Super teams: Hickey

Rupert Guinness in Johannesburg | May 18, 2009

AUSTRALIA is ill-equipped in player depth to field a fifth team with local players in an expanded Super competition, according to NSW Waratahs coach Chris Hickey.
    After the Waratahs were bundled out of the Super 14 semi-finals, Hickey said a fifth Australian team would not have the depth to match competition standards, and that the drain on the existing player pool would diminish the qualities of the four existing sides.

"I think a fifth team will really stretch us to the absolute limit, particularly if you are going to increase the competition to 22 rounds," Hickey said.

"If they [the Australian Rugby Union] wish to introduce a fifth team, it may need to be more of an Australasian team than an Australian team."

However, Hickey agreed that a team of Australian and New Zealand players could also include Pacific Islanders.

"That would enable us to put together a fifth team that would be competitive without damaging the four current sides," Hickey said. "There is no point having a fifth team if you diminish the strength of the other four teams."

Hickey also believed there should be no cause for concern after all the Australian sides failed to make the finals. The Waratahs placed fifth on 41 points, while the Brumbies were seventh on 38. The Force were eighth on 36 and the Reds were 13th on 19.

"The Waratahs, Brumbies and Western Force were all strong contenders for the semi-finals series right up to the final round," Hickey said. "And the Reds, while they didn't finish high on the table, managed to defeat the Sharks, [Blues and Cheetahs].

"I don't think that is indicative of the strength of Australian rugby compared to New Zealand or South Africa. I would feel that once the Wallabies assemble, they will do very well in the Tri Nations."

There are two injuries concerns from the Waratahs camp that could compromise selection for the Australian representative season to come.

Waratahs No.8 Wycliff Palu must undergo scans on his left hand that sustained a second fracture against the Sharks two weeks and forced him to leave the field against the Lions.

Another concern is centre Rob Horne's hamstring strain, which has not yet fully healed.

Horne, who did not play a game in South Africa for NSW, is still two weeks away from full fitness.

He has been picked for the Australian under-20s squad for this year's under-20s World Cup.

"His hamstring continues to be a problem. He may need a couple of more weeks before he is fit to play," Hickey said.

"I think he'll be able to take his place in the squad. They don't leave for a fortnight."

The third injury to come from the Waratahs' 38-33 win over the Lions was that of winger Peter Playford, whose hamstring tear in the first half could rule out him out of club rugby for several weeks.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...498639266.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    On one hand I think we can sustain an extra team,if the rules are relaxed for recruiting overseas players,then on the other hand each year players are heading overseas for more money or retiring.Look at the TWF who are losing 8 players this year,their replacements have to come from somewhere.

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Look at the TWF who are losing 8 players this year,their replacements have to come from somewhere.
    Gee, this will be an interesting anouncment, I hope its not Coach or we could be in for some issues technically, or TG as he seems to trawl the net for the best stories, or Burgs for his posting capacity! (or lots and lots of others of major contributors)

Whose leaving??

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF2006 View Post
    Gee, this will be an interesting anouncment, I hope its not Coach or we could be in for some issues technically, or TG as he seems to trawl the net for the best stories, or Burgs for his posting capacity! (or lots and lots of others of major contributors)

Whose leaving??
    I can sense a Headline coming on.

TWF Heavy Weights, TG and TLH Leave For Pastures New

Our very own honed "athletes", Travelling Gerry and The Loan Hydrangea, are rumoured to be leaving TWF for more lush pastures. After being ferociously head hunted they are believed to be changing their loyalties. When interviewed yesterday TLH stated "The offer from The Subiaco Pie shop is exceptional and for guys like us to keep in the same shape as we are, free pies are just too hard to turn down." TG added, "The bowlo snags are good but hey, we are getting on a bit and we have to secure our futures." Contract negotiations are ongoing.

You heard it here first on TWF.

Your Raving Reporter, TEF.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Hope none of the Moderators are leaving to go to GTT, their workload might increase rapidly for no added recognition!

vCash

Whose leaving??
    Ooooh Mudskipper.....Mudskipper......who votes for Mudskipper

Hope none of the Moderators are leaving to go to GTT, their workload might increase rapidly for no added recognition!
    Why would their workload INCREASE through moving to a site that averages 10 hits per month?

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Why would their workload INCREASE through moving to a site that averages 10 hits per month?
    Isn't every post potty mouthed trash????

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Well now, this drivel comes from a engineer who should know better.From a sweaty sock who enjoys a deep fried mars Bar and a Curry Pie back in Aberdeen is definitely talking through his hat. On behalf of my role model and myself......get a dog up ya.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing