Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No Money in the Budget, But......

vCash

No Money in the Budget, But......

Well while I was on my home from Paly tonight, I was scanning through some of the AM Radio bands and stumbled onto to some Radio Show on 6PR where the host was talking to someone else about some of the articles that will be in tomorows newspaper (or todays ) I think, I quickly picked up that they were talking stadiums.

Now as we know there was no money in the state budget released last night, but apparently one of the reasons is that the State Goverment is investigating all possibilities, including a Rectangular Greenfields Site where the old East Perth Power Station is, costing $100 million

Unfortunately I only tuned in half way throught the stadium talk so didn;t get it all, but apparently there is some form of article in tomorows newspaper, with a quote from the Sports Minister regarding this

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by jargan83; 15-05-09 at 23:58.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Its being reported in the West that instead of $73 for MES that a greenfields site at the old power station be used with a grandstand and a capacity of 25,000 with provision of temp seats of another 20,000 in case of World Cup Soccer and expansion.

Sports Minister said it would be one of the sites analysed before they decided on TOV proposal to upgrade MES.

Lake Mongers Litis Stadium is also being assessed.

State gov fears that the MES development could blow out to more than $100m and make the greenfields site a better long term option.

The proposal would also come without the complications of the management lease with Allia and the heritage list of the Fred Book stand.

The WAFC wants architects Daryl Jackson and Perter Hunt to produce a plan for Subi Oval as as 52,000 seat stadium that meets FIFA World Cup criteria. These include a mas 40k for group stage games and 60,000 knockout stages.

vCash
    I'm not sure that it would take a cost blowout at MES to make the greenfields the best 'long term' option. Seems that would easily be a better long term option (especially if room for expansion is there).
    I've always called patching up MES a short-medium term solution because people kept telling us any greenfields stadium would cost $270 million + and therefore was off the table.
    Can the WAFC please get it that FIFA aren't gonna want to play World Cup finals at freekin' Subi please??? Jam in as many seats/facilities as you want guys, but it's still a bloody oval.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    Can the WAFC please get it that FIFA aren't gonna want to play World Cup finals at freekin' Subi please??? Jam in as many seats/facilities as you want guys, but it's still a bloody oval.
    What she said.

vCash
    I hope this is accurate. Perhaps the potential inbound revenue and promotion of Perth that these sports offer is finally starting to register.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Think you have all missed the point - the Federal Government would sign up to this stadium - i.e. Buswell would have to spend less - also the old power station site doesn't have to become the new Museum so Buswell gets to spend even less.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Player
    vCash
    As long as it has top quality training facilities. WA Rugby could do with a high performane unit.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Brilliant, the Government is going to explore all the options...so we can expect the right answer imminently then. Is it just me, or does anyone else hear the receding sound of reverse gear unicycles?

vCash
    If it's the receding sound of a reverse gear unicycle, does that mean they're still looking in our direction?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Class View Post
    As long as it has top quality training facilities. WA Rugby could do with a high performane unit.
    The Force training facilities relocated to UWA to form some high performance training centre, Cricket is moving there as well as well as a few others

Rookie
    vCash
    I think many things are starting sink home regarding the benefits in developing a retangular ground - how much S14 coverage gets world wide and if they were to get some Socceroos games here that would bring further coverage world wide when you consider what countries a lot of the teams play in and where these games are shown. Even the A league is shown elsewhere....A greenfields venue that can be built at a good size say 40,000 for now, but is built with the ease of increasing the size in the future would be the perfect way to go. If Football Australia have said Perth can have a Socceroos match for the next 10 years that's got to be a good carrot to dangle. Lets hope what ever happens they move quickly and get on with the job...

vCash
    Yep and even better if the State Government doesn't pay for it no surprises there we live in Wait Awhile

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by domattw View Post
    I think many things are starting sink home regarding the benefits in developing a retangular ground - how much S14 coverage gets world wide and if they were to get some Socceroos games here that would bring further coverage world wide when you consider what countries a lot of the teams play in and where these games are shown....
    I would love to think that, having decided to do a rectangular stadium, the WA Government had grabbed it's minerals and decided to not embrace mediocrity once again. Sadly though, I don't think that is the case. What I think we are seeing is the start of the wriggling.

I haven't been able to find a link, but I think the article in Saturday's West was where much of this started. Key phrases:

"The old East Perth power station could yet be the site for a $100 million 25,000-seat rectangular stadium" (So they are worried about an upgrade over-running, but think they can get a whole new greenfield stadium for the same money?)

"Sport Minister Terry Waldron's office confirmed the site would be one of several options analysed before the State Government decided on the Town of Vincent's proposal for a $75 million upgrade to Members Equity Stadium." (Given the demand for detailed costings for the MES upgrade, how long will that process take assuming an equivalent level of detail will be required for each option?)

"Lake Monger's Litis Stadium is another likely to be assessed" (Where? And the public transport arrangements are...? Has anyone floated the idea with the occupants of the houses literally across the street?)

"But it is understood the FFA is also using the World Cup bid to drive the establishment of new stadiums. It regards Members Equity Stadium as unsuitable for World Cup finals and, if Perth had no suitable major stadium, believes a 25,000-seat purpose-built ground with up to 20,000 temporary seats is an option" (Since when were they looking at Perth for World Cup finals??? Would 45,000 seats really be enough for games of that magnitude, or are these guys taking the piss? And seriously, given the intense media scrutiny a final would bring, a stadium with half temporary seating - Perth and Australia would be an utter laughing stock around the world!!!!)

"The State Government fears the cost of the Members Equity Stadium redevelopment could blow out to more than $100 million and make building a stadium at East Perth with a grandstand on one side cost-effective and with better long-term development prospects" (So, what, just like MES again? And who needs atmosphere?)

I see all of this as delaying tactics. But if they are genuinely interested in doing a stadium for the World Cup, I really hope they do the sensible thing and do the job properly. If there is one thing I do envy of the Victorians, it is that when their Government decide to do something, they go the whole hog and do the best possible job. Our lot on the other hand try to do the barest minimum, claim they are saving money and end up with the most appalling rubbish. You can even take Subiaco Oval as an example - we were probably the nearest thing to a single code state prior to the Force, yet still managed to have the worst stadium in the land. The shades of Forrest and Court must be so proud!

Last edited by AndyS; 19-05-09 at 15:27.

vCash
    Alot of what Andy's said is reasonable, but just on the RWC finals- FIFA rules for a pool game of the 'finals' only require 40k, so they're reasonably correct in offering that as justification.

The rest is probably disappointingly close to the truth.

Last edited by Swee_82; 19-05-09 at 16:21.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Speaking to some one who supposedly knew what they where talking about and he told me that there is a massive earth grid under the old power station that would prohibit or at least pose major problems for any construction around the site. Does any one else know anything about this?

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast