Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force can make O'Connor great: Giteau

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force can make O'Connor great: Giteau

May 15, 2009 - 7:10PM

Wallabies ace Matt Giteau has backed the Western Force's ability to foster young star James O'Connor's talent as he bids his own goodbye in the Super 14 clash with the Highlanders on Saturday night.

With the majority of the Force players now having re-signed or decided to move on, 18-year-old backline sensation O'Connor is yet to decide where his future lies.
    Brumbies-bound Giteau knows all about being a youngster with plenty of hype and has encouraged him to make the best decision for his future, but sees no reason he can't develop strongly at the Force, like young Wallabies David Pocock and Richard Brown.

"Where he will develop best is the biggest thing for a guy his age because he potentially could be one of the great players," said Giteau.
    "He could also be just a guy that was a great young player but didn't actually develop.
    "He could develop here with the Force, someone like Richard Brown got the opportunity here and now has played Test rugby.

"If you look at that, it shows the development is here.

"He just has to personally be hard on himself and closely critique his game.

"A lot of people will say he's playing really well, but as long as he realises there are errors to work on, he will keep developing."

Saturday's clash at Subiaco Oval means little with both the Force and Highlanders out of the top four race, but it is a chance for the Perth-based team to say a fond farewell to a host of stars in the team's last game before moving to the rectangular Members Equity Stadium next season.

The departures include Brumbies-to-be Giteau and Josh Valentine, Waratahs-bound Drew Mitchell along with Tai McIsaac, Scott Staniforth, Ben Castle and Tamaiti Horua who are all heading overseas.

Winger Staniforth, who has 12 Test caps, will play his 100th and final Super rugby match before heading to Japan.

The 31-year-old finishes his career in tremendous form and predicts a strong future at the Force after an emotional night on Saturday.

"It's the end of my Super 14 career, so there is a bit of sadness but there's an exciting challenge ahead. To finish on 100 is quite special," Staniforth said.

"Whenever you get a big group of players like this leaving it is a bit emotional because it's the last chance to play together. We are looking forward to going out on a good note.

"There's a big future here and the young guys that have signed like Pocock, Brown and hopefully O'Connor are the future of the club."

© 2009 AAP

http://news.rugbyheaven.com.au/break...0515-b5zg.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    mmmmm I wonder if this means he will sign with the brumbies.....

vCash
    Someone please tell me why a talented 18 year who is new to the professional game wants to put his career on to line and stay with a mid table team which has lost their best players and furthermore try to save the Western Force at his own professional detriment?

James O'Connor certainly doesn't owe the Force that much for a run on the paddock....

vCash
    Someone please tell me why a talented 18 year who is new to the professional game wants to put his career on to line and stay with a mid table team which has lost their best players and furthermore try to save the Western Force at his own professional detriment?

James O'Connor certainly doesn't owe the Force that much for a run on the paddock....

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Muddie, you're stuttering

vCash
    why would he want to join a mid-table side?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    why would he want to join a mid-table side?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Are... I knew you were a closet Brumbies supporter...

vCash
    Muddie, you're off your rocker but I'll bite.

Why would he want to leave the Force (a mid-table team) and go to the Brumbies (a mid-table team with about 6 too many backs)?

No one else wanted him when he left school, we bought him over here as an amatuer and gave him the chance to play with Giteau. Force could have quite easily turned him down like the other clubs did but they didn't they took him in and aided his development.

Going to the Brumbies to play alongside Giteau is a fair call, I'd do it. In terms of development, he has just as much chance (if not more) of developing and owning the 10/12 spot here. He wouldn't be in the shadow of Giteau and he would be the one commanding the backline.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Are... I knew you were a closet Brumbies supporter...
    Well if that were true I'd still probably be a better supporter then you.

Sure I don't get to any of their games but I live 4000km away. Whats your excuse?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Laura no need to bite... This is a conversation, have you’re say or don’t… It only matters to you…

I Don’t believe no other province wasn’t interested in him previously especially after his Aus 7s performance believe me people noticed James O’Connor performance...The fact that the force have failed to sign him for longer is surely their short coming not James O’Connor’s problem… You should address the Force administration and Coaching staff on that point…

The Force employed him because they could get no other and need more depth. As I said an 18 year old who has played one season doesn't owe the a team long-term loyalty. That’s ridiculous. If he goes to the Brumbies he will compete for a spot and become a better player. I believe he is up to it, if he can’t compete he wont get a Wallabies jersey in the future. If he stays at the Force he may not get use to competing and could become an under achiever...

vCash
    Laura no need to bite... This is a conversation, have you’re say or don’t… It only matters to you…

I Don’t believe no other province wasn’t interested in him previously especially after his Aus 7s performance believe me people noticed James O’Connor performance...The fact that the force have failed to sign him for longer is surely their short coming not James O’Connor’s problem… You should address the Force administration and Coaching staff on that point…

The Force employed him because they could get no other and need more depth. As I said an 18 year old who has played one season doesn't owe the a team long-term loyalty. That’s ridiculous. If he goes to the Brumbies he will compete for a spot and become a better player. I believe he is up to it, if he can’t compete he wont get a Wallabies jersey in the future. If he stays at the Force he may not get use to competing and could become an under achiever...

vCash
    Mudskipper, last time you posted double, you complained of being locked out of TWF by some unexplained INternet problem.......can I be so bold as to hope?

C'mon the

vCash
    stuttering again... i think he's trying extra hard to prove his tired point..

there are so many hooks in your last fishing post muddie i think your lines are gonna get tangled!

vCash
    Double posted but no response... check mate...

---------- Post added at 20:27 ---------- Previous post was at 20:21 ----------

I think the headline should read James O'Connor can make the Force great at his own professional risk....

---------- Post added at 20:28 ---------- Previous post was at 20:27 ----------

I think the headline should read James O'Connor can make the Force great at his own professional risk....

vCash
    I swear to god Muddy, you are a douchebag of the highest degree, why don't you stay on the Brumbies forum or something, the obsession with you Easterners and fishing on here is getting embarrassing for you, absolutely obsessed with us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast