Thread: Wallabies' back-room experts argue over whether size does matter

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Wallabies' back-room experts argue over whether size does matter

Greg Growden Chief Rugby Correspondent | May 22, 2009

WHEN Wallabies coach Robbie Deans was asked yesterday if Matt Hodgson was too small for international rugby, you could hear a groan from up the back of the Australian Rugby Union's function room.

Sitting at the rear were Wallabies captain Stirling Mortlock and the two squad newcomers - Pek Cowan and Hodgson, all awaiting their turn to sit in front of the micro-phones. As Deans replied to the small-fry query, the back-row mumblings indicated the players were stirring each other. But Hodgson has become accustomed to such moments.

Hailing from the Central Coast and playing for Eastwood and Manly before heading to the Force in 2006, Hodgson is the bolter in the Wallabies squad, primarily because he has been picked for the blindside back-row position.

Blindside breakaways are often large beanpoles; Hodgson is hardly that. At 184 centimetres, he is shadowed by the many giants in the Wallabies squad, but that doesn't bother the national coach nor Hodgson.

Deans brushed off the size query with: "No. He suits our need, and he suits the game's need. You will have noticed the adjustment to the interpretation around the tackle and ruck, and it's going to make players who have the ability over the ball really valuable. And Matt is top of the class to that end, as shown through his performances in the Super 14."

Later Hodgson was asked the same question and replied: "I know I'm not the stock-standard No.6. I'm definitely a lot shorter. But what I lack in height, I make up in aggression and speed. The way I play the game suits the Western Force, and hopefully the Wallabies. We do play with that on-ball tactic. And size is not always important on the field."

A prime reason Hodgson was included is that he has an excellent working relationship with the other Force back-rower in the squad, Richard Brown, and the pair could well be used in tandem. Nonetheless, the first choice for the Wallabies No.6 jersey remains Dean Mumm.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...498869407.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Deans brushed off the size query with: "No. He suits our need, and he suits the game's need. You will have noticed the adjustment to the interpretation around the tackle and ruck, and it's going to make players who have the ability over the ball really valuable. And Matt is top of the class to that end, as shown through his performances in the Super 14."
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Nonetheless, the first choice for the Wallabies No.6 jersey remains Dean Mumm.
    I might be reading too much into Deans' comment, but it sure doesn't sound like Mumm, the 'large beanpole' is really first choice does it?

C'mon the

vCash
    Rocky is but he hasn't re-signed... Others S14 players Mitchell Chapman who is larger however is up for an off season shoulder reconstruction... And promising Waratahs 6 Ben Moven needs more game time…

Additionally Brumbies Pete Kimlin who is in the Wallabies squad can play 6 as well… He is a XXL unit still good for the line out...