Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: They're at it again.......

vCash

They're at it again.......

WAFC eyes $300m public purse to kick off Subi plan

Mark Duffield (Local WAFC ass kisser and AFL hack)

The WA Football Commission will ask State and Federal governments to fund the $300 million first stage of a rebuilding program at Subiaco Oval, taking it's capacity to 50,000. (Bargain basement rates there, $300 mil for 6,500 extra seats)

WAFC chairman Neale Fong confirmed the proposal would be put to the State Government within a month. It is understood AFL officials are lobbying the Federal Government on the WAFC's behalf to get further funding

Further into the article....

Dr Fong said new grandstands would make Subiaco Ocal suitable for major Soccer internationals and surface work would ensue better viewing.

A bit further again.....

Dr Fong said future stages could be undertaken in plenty of time for the 2022 soccer World Cup.

Previous WAFC plans for Subiaco OVal have not been well recieved, but Dr Fong was adamant critics would be "pleasently surprised" by the new designs, which he compared to Melbournes Etihad Stadium.

I pinched this off page 10 of todays West Australian. Despite the State Government saying no decisions regarding an AFL stadium would be made for at least 2 years I hope Barney and co stick to that line. WAFC still trying to play the Football World Cup line, I'm sure someone at FFA would be laughing at that. If Subiaco is the best Perth can offer, Australia hosting the world Cup will be an Eastern States event only

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    So, the Fong's argument is: Let's build an oval AFL stadium, it'll be great for watching the soccer?

Ass clown.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    [SIZE="4"] I'm sure someone at FFA would be laughing at that. If Subiaco is the best Perth can offer, Australia hosting the world Cup will be an Eastern States event only[/COLOR]
    Then they need to do more than laugh at the suggestion. The FFA needs to talk directly to the WA government and tell them that an Etihad type stadium is definitely not acceptable to FIFA for World Cup ties. IF that is the case.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    as far as I know it has been said in the past
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    The difference being that Etihad Stadium in Melbourne is capable of bringing the stands closer to the action for a rectangular configuration.

"Etihad Stadium can be re-configured to suit many sports and entertainment events. Moveable lower tiers can be configured into a rectangle or oval to suit a variety of field sports and stage events. This seating can move up to 18 metres forward." (cut and paste from www.austadiums.com)

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fork tongue Fong;

Previous WAFC plans for Subiaco OVal have not been well recieved, but Dr Fong was adamant critics would be "pleasently surprised" by the new designs, which he compared to Melbournes Etihad Stadium.
    Yes. Compared to Etihad, but it will be longer and wider, and flatter seating to suit AFL.

vCash
    as far as I know it has been said in the past
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I think it might need to be said again, Jargs.

If the sorcery Dr Fong conjures up manages to trick Barney and his crew into kicking in 300 mil of state funds into this dud, then we're all USC.

Before committing to such a scheme, one would think that the government would consult some authorities , like FIFA, as well as all other affected parties to check the substance and veracity of the good doctors claims.

I see a diabolical plot aimed at decieving the government into supporting the WAFC's bid to upgrade their oval, based on misinformed assumptions that, firstly
    a stadium that is good enough for the soccer would cup is good for WA and deserves lots of money to spent on it; and, (if succesful) we now have an oval that is good enough for the soccer world cup, it will be good enough for other sports that use a rectangular pitch-therefore why spend more money on MES ??(or where ever)...

vCash
    they have been down this path before - the only way Subi is suitable by international standards is to demolish half of it and start again - ergo the 1 billion dollar price tag - like to see Fong massage that ... would that be a creative bid or just sheer comedy.

Think it is not just the seating, but pretty much everything from the radios not working everywhere - the loud speakers not working everywhere, the parking or lack of it, the TV camera access etc...

What I really want to know is what these people have being doing with the extra rent from us and the AFL fans for the past say 5 years surely 26 AFL games at say 1 million a game + our 6 + international so minimum they have had a budget of close to 40 million a year to play with and done nothing - and do we hear one AFL fan trying to figure it out - no they are quite happy to piddle in the dark of spewbi.

Last edited by Thequeerone; 18-07-09 at 16:23.
    61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    WAFC eyes $300m public purse to kick off Subi plan

Mark Duffield (Local WAFC ass kisser and AFL hack)

The WA Football Commission will ask State and Federal governments to fund the $300 million first stage of a rebuilding program at Subiaco Oval, taking it's capacity to 50,000. (Bargain basement rates there, $300 mil for 6,500 extra seats)

WAFC chairman Neale Fong confirmed the proposal would be put to the State Government within a month. It is understood AFL officials are lobbying the Federal Government on the WAFC's behalf to get further funding

Further into the article....

Dr Fong said new grandstands would make Subiaco Ocal suitable for major Soccer internationals and surface work would ensue better viewing.

A bit further again.....

Dr Fong said future stages could be undertaken in plenty of time for the 2022 soccer World Cup.

I pinched this off page 10 of todays West Australian. Despite the State Government saying no decisions regarding an AFL stadium would be made for at least 2 years I hope Barney and co stick to that line. WAFC still trying to play the Football World Cup line, I'm sure someone at FFA would be laughing at that. If Subiaco is the best Perth can offer, Australia hosting the world Cup will be an Eastern States event only
    Full article now up: http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ntentID=156264

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post

What I really want to know is what these people have being doing with the extra rent from us and the AFL fans for the past say 5 years surely;
    Can't say what they do with the rest of it but they themselves have claimed (or maybe bragged is a better word) that the rent paid by RugbyWA was being used to fund junior AFL development programs. That played a large part in my deciding to give some time to getting signatures on our petition.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Player
    vCash
    So they can't spare the change to upgrade Member's Equity to say a 30,000 seater stadium because of budgetory constraints but hey let's get serious about upgrade an eyesore so it can host a load of soccerista's if Australia host the FIFA WC. Now a bit of honesty here. They have already been tld that no matter what they do to Subi it is an unacceptable as a WC stadium. This plan shows clear bias told the WAFC. Why do they need it anyway. Its not like the Eagles or Docker's are playing well enough to require and upgrade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Class View Post
    So they can't spare the change to upgrade Member's Equity to say a 30,000 seater stadium because of budgetory constraints but hey let's get serious about upgrade an eyesore so it can host a load of soccerista's if Australia host the FIFA WC. Now a bit of honesty here. They have already been tld that no matter what they do to Subi it is an unacceptable as a WC stadium. This plan shows clear bias told the WAFC. Why do they need it anyway. Its not like the Eagles or Docker's are playing well enough to require and upgrade.
    In fairness, it's the WAFCs plan, and you can only expect them to be self-serving, no matter how moronic the stuff they spout is.
    No indication yet that anyone else is buying their crap.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Have to agree Swee, I must admit I don't quite "get" the whole bash the WAFC/WAFL/AFL school of thought going around at the moment.
    They are doing exactly what their sport, supporters and employers demand of them and they would be negligent to just roll over and let any opportunity to benefit their lot pass.
    It is up to RWA, ARU, Football West, FFA, WARL and ARL to make a stronger case if it has not been compelling enough to sway the decision makers as yet.
    Perhaps they should be investigating the ability to drop in a synthetic Field Hockey pitch as well to include Hockey Australia and the WAHA and pursuing letters of support from events promoters and finding ways of utilising the grandstands for concerts.
    At the end of the day though, you can't blame Football for Rugby's lack of a stadium of their own.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I don't follow WAFC/WAFL/AFL at all, thus I'd be negligent not to attempt to lower their standing (bash them) against rugby them when the opportunity presents itself

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Far better to find a wall to beat with your head for all the effect it will have.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast