Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Western Force demolish the Lions: 55-14

vCash

Talking Western Force demolish the Lions: 55-14

The Emirates Western Force have scored eight tries to two on their way to a 55-14 win over the Lions at Subiaco Oval in Perth tonight.

The WA side recorded its greatest ever winning margin, surpassing the 38-3 win over the Reds in 2007, and also posted its highest ever score, beating the previous high tallied in the 45-17 win over the Cheetahs in 2007.

The Lions contributed to their demise, conceding two penalty tries and having two players given yellow cards.

The point scoring began in the first minute when Drew Mitchell dived over, and by the half hour mark the Force lead 24-0 thanks to converted tries from Matt Giteau, a penalty try after Scott Staniforth was tackled without the ball – Lions captain Earnst Joubert was sent to the bin for the misdemeanour – and a Giteau penalty.

The Lions hit back through a clever try to winger Jannie Boshoff, but the WA side had the final say in the first half as Cameron Shepherd scored in the corner to make the score 29-7.

Shepherd’s second try ten minutes into the second half came moments after Shandre Frolick received his marching orders for a ruck infringement. Giteau could not convert, leaving the score at 34-7.

Two more tries, to James O’Connor and AJ Whalley, gave the Force a 48-7 lead. Lions fullback Earl Rose crossed soon after Whalley, and Andre Pretorius’ conversion made the score 48-14.

A second penalty try was awarded to the Force after Todd Clever tackled O’Connor in the in-goal, stopping the centre from diving on a loose ball. The subsequent conversion ended the scoring at 55-14.

O’Connor was named Man of the Match, but there were several outstanding performances across the board.

The Emirates Western Force will now travel to South Africa for matches against the Bulls and Stormers.

By the clock:

1st Min: Try to the Emirates Western Force scored by Drew Mitchell. Converted by Matt Giteau. Emirates Western Force lead 7-0

20th Min: Try to the Emirates Western Force scored by Giteau. Converted by Giteau. Emirates Western Force lead 14-0.

27th Min: Penalty Try to the Emirates Western Force. Converted by Giteau. Emirates Western Force lead 21-0

27th Min: Yellow Card to Ernst Joubert of the Lions.

29th Min: Penalty Goal to the Emirates Western Force kicked by Giteau. Emirates Western Force lead 24-0.

36th Min: Try to the Lions scored by Jannie Boshoff. Converted by Andre Pretorius. Emirates Western Force lead 24-7.

39th Min: Try to the Emirates Western Force scored by Cameron Shepherd. Not Converted by Giteau. Emirates Western Force lead 29-7.

HALF TIME: Emirates Western Force 29 Lions 7

47th Min: Yellow Card to Shandre Frolick of the Lions

49th Min: Try to the Emirates Western Force scored by Shepherd. Not Converted by Giteau. Emirates Western Force lead 34-7.

62nd Min: Try to the Emirates Western Force scored by James O’Connor. Converted by Giteau. Emirates Western Force lead 41-7.

67th Min: Try to the Emirates Western Force scored by AJ Whalley. Converted by Giteau. Emirates Western Force lead 48-7.

68th Min: Try to the Lions scored by Earl Rose. Converted by Pretorius. Emirates Western Force lead 48-14.

72nd Min: Penalty Try to the Emirates Western Force. Converted by Giteau. Emirates Western Force lead 55-14.

FULL TIME: Emirates Western Force 55 Lions 14

Emirates Western Force 55 (Shepherd 2, Mitchell, Giteau, O’Connor, Whalley tries; 2 penalty tries; Giteau 6 cons, pen)

Lions 14 (Boshoff, Rose tries; Pretorius 2 cons)

Replacements –

45th Min: Tom Hockings replaces Sam Wykes
    56th Min: Richard Stanford replaces Hockings (Blood)
    65th Min: Hockings returns from blood bin, replaces Stanford
    65th Min: AJ Whalley replaces Ben Castle
    66th Min: Haig Sare replaces Scott Staniforth
    68th Min: Ben Whittaker replaces Tai McIsaac, Richard Stanford replaces David Pocock.
    73rd Min: Josh Tatupu replaces Matt Giteau
    81st Min: Pek Cowan replaces Gareth Hardy, Ben Castle replaces Stanford.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Jehna; 24-04-09 at 21:10.
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Fantastic result & performance by the Force!

However, JO'C needs to realise that it's a team game...don't be so greedy & always look for a player in a better position than yourself.

That TMO should be sacked immediately! Sheps scored a try. AJ's was dubious.

Maybe Drew should take a look at the table. After 10 rounds the Force are ahead of the Tahs & could well be the highest ranked Aussie team if the Brumbies, as expected, lose to the Hurricanes.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    great result, any game with ten tries you cant go wrong..joc should of kicked in the second half instead of gits...
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    awesome game. wished i was there live to watch it! Have to make do with the local in Spore.

Whats with the TMO?! Sheps looked fine, probably questionable. But AJ's was a clear knock on. Not that i dont want AJ to score, maybe Ayoub realised he screwed up sheps one, so gave it over to us

vCash
    WOOHOO!!!

Pressure right from the start, and through to the finish. And Sheps is BACK.
    Love it!

I agree with Jedi about the TMO, but at least some of our tries were allowed this time around. Small mercies, and all that.

... and I'm finding the last three games in particular to be a llittle bitter-sweet, with the really playing like a team, just as key players are about to leave... oh, well, let's hope this type of cohesion sticks...

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    Valentine was good,
    JOC was very impressive but a bit selfish.
    Sheps was everywhere and briliant
    Pocock was my man of the match He stood his man against the big boys from Jo'burg and created a heap of good ball for the backs

vCash
    shep's was definatley a try. that was bollocks.

was a great game though.
    i'll take wins like that anyday.

hoping that boof and stanford are ok.
    i hope that the shoulder complaints of pocock and wykes don't amount to anything.

vCash
    Woohoo!! What a game! So fantastic to win like this - really put on a great show for the crowd, even if they did run out of fireworks for the last few tries

I didn't quite catch the Stanford/Boof incident, was it a head clash? Didn't look too bad on the replay, but couldn't see very clearly from where we were seated.

vCash
    absolutely fantastic game. the boys put in and they get an amazing result!

#21 for lions deserved a red card for his performance

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Nice win tonight... well done boys...

Veteran
    vCash
    sorry blokes, sheps was not a try, his foot was clearly ( well not clearly in real time) out. So, no try. AJ's i was a bit dubious i am assuming it wasnt a knock on because it never lost contact with him, and he got downward pressure with his forearm.

Other than that great game againsts a dodgey team (2 cards and 2 penalty tries). Though staniforth did have a dive to rival a lot of soccer clubs.

heres to hoping we can stay 5th on the ladder, and it was great to have such a boost to our for/against points.

but yeah! great game!

vCash
    I agree Shep left right foot was dragged onto the line by the tackler... AJs was iffy but I liked it well done AJ...

Really enjoyed the match tonight I had the Force at +13 in a multi and the Brumbies at 1-12 margin so I might not be in the cash... all good fun...anyway....

Last edited by mudskipper; 25-04-09 at 07:08. Reason: wrong foot

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    sorry blokes, sheps was not a try, his foot was clearly ( well not clearly in real time) out. So, no try. AJ's i was a bit dubious i am assuming it wasnt a knock on because it never lost contact with him, and he got downward pressure with his forearm.

Other than that great game againsts a dodgey team (2 cards and 2 penalty tries). Though staniforth did have a dive to rival a lot of soccer clubs.

heres to hoping we can stay 5th on the ladder, and it was great to have such a boost to our for/against points.

but yeah! great game!
    I haven't seen the replay myself but the commentators were saying that from one angle it wasn't conclusive whether shep's foot was out. The other angle seemed to suggest it was fine. Consequently, they suggested it was a clear case of giving the benefit of the doubt to the try scorer....

But oh well...i think we won anyway without it...

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna View Post
    I haven't seen the replay myself but the commentators were saying that from one angle it wasn't conclusive whether shep's foot was out. The other angle seemed to suggest it was fine. Consequently, they suggested it was a clear case of giving the benefit of the doubt to the try scorer....

The Fox commentators were just being overly positive, but it was out before he lifted the foot free out of the tackle... But didn't need it Shep got 2 anyway...

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna View Post

It was very hard to see from where I was sitting. If anyone wants to bother with it, it would take some close inspection of the video.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast